Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

Astonishing Member

Seems like Geoff Johns is heavily involved in this one, so he would make sure that his creation is done right.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Seems like Geoff Johns is heavily involved in this one, so he would make sure that his creation is done right.
    I don't get the sense Johns is as involved in this as he is with Stargirl. Now there I would expect Maxine to be 100% comic-accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Black Adam casts Cyclone.

And wouldn't you guess it, the actress is neither a redhead or white.

Sigh

It's a dead horse, I know, but if you want to have a diverse cast, either pick more diverse characters, or create new characters. I'm truly sick and tired of the colorblind casting bullshit. It's just LAZY.
    Why is it lazy? I guess I can understand not being a fan, but I don't understand the lazy part. Truth is, there just aren't really many diverse characters, especially not ones that would fit in very situation. And obviously trying to create an original character for a movie appearance will also lead to fan backlash.

Colorblind casting doesn't bother me in the least. We need more of it in a world where white = default in media. But that said, it's a little odd that they keep racebending redheads. MJ, Iris in both the TV show and movie, Wally West (though they kind of go hand in hand), Jim Gordon, Jimmy Olsen, Alice Monaghan in the last Hellboy movie and now Maxine. I understand that red hair is not common in the real world and the amount of gingers in comics has to do with the coloring, but this is starting to feel as pointed as giving a Black character lightning powers.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Why is it lazy? I guess I can understand not being a fan, but I don't understand the lazy part. Truth is, there just aren't really many diverse characters, especially not ones that would fit in very situation. And obviously trying to create an original character for a movie appearance will also lead to fan backlash.

Colorblind casting doesn't bother me in the least. We need more of it in a world where white = default in media. But that said, it's a little odd that they keep racebending redheads. MJ, Iris in both the TV show and movie, Wally West (though they kind of go hand in hand), Jim Gordon, Jimmy Olsen, Alice Monaghan in the last Hellboy movie and now Maxine. I understand that red hair is not common in the real world and the amount of gingers in comics has to do with the coloring, but this is starting to feel as pointed as giving a Black character lightning powers.
    I think it's seen as lazy because they always seem to default to redhead = recast them as black for some reason. There are other ethnicities they could racebend for to where it doesn't need to seem so repetitive/obvious.

I guess Johns has taken some of other JSA POC's for Stargirl so they have to race-bend who they have available in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Apparently they're also non-binary, so does that mean the same for Maxine?

I just don't get why the default is always black when it comes to race-bending redheads.

I also hope at the end of the day she's still a dorky, unconventionally attractive, motormouth.
    Quintella so far has done female roles, so probably Maxine will be female too.

I hope the personality of Maxine stays intact, because there is a huge risk the character gets turned into a cheap copy of Storm.

Astonishing Member

Swindell is of mixed race, just like Noah Centineo, who is clearly at least part hispanic (apparently part Native American too after looking it up) and I really didn't hear any complaints about race-bending him. When Atom Smasher was Nuklon, he too was portrayed as a redhead.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I just don't really care about (mostly) white people getting all butthurt when they add color to characters when most of these characters were made at a time where characters of color would never have been created in the first place. It's a different time now. There are more of us and they actually use us more on tv and in movies. You wanna keep it the same stick to the comics then. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I just don't really care about (mostly) white people getting all butthurt when they add color to characters when most of these characters were made at a time where characters of color would never have been created in the first place. It's a different time now. There are more of us and they actually use us more on tv and in movies. You wanna keep it the same stick to the comics then. Enjoy it.
    Have you seen comics lately? A lot of outraged butthurt going on because of the color that's being added there too. That's what created Comicsgate.(I think)

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I just want the characters adapted faithfully, so if the actor can get that across, then fine, although I'm not convinced as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I don't know. When people talk about live action versions of Hawkman, they usually refer to Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow. The 1970s special isn't one most people count even though I love the Adam West Batman.

I don't think the whole idea that every superhero has to look like he's on steroids and lifts weights six hours a day comes from that special but just comic art and social attitudes in general.

I always liked what happened with the television series, "Hercules the Legendary Journeys" in the 1990s. They got a lot of flak from some bodybuilding organizations for not casting a bodybuilder even though Kevin Sorbo was quite muscular by everyday standards. In an interview, he said the producers wanted to get Hercules away from that unhealthy look that screams "steroids". Hopefully, they'll go with a look that is muscular but not to that degree or, as you said, just go with a shirt.
    Hawkman and Aquaman must never wear shirts. It's just wrong. :P

Ultimate Member

I just want the characters adapted faithfully, so if the actor can get that across, then fine, although I'm not convinced as of yet.
    Yeah, DC doesn't have a great record on that score. The inclusion of the JSA worries me, this early on. Black Adam's interaction/story with them starts long after his origin.

I think it's seen as lazy because they always seem to default to redhead = recast them as black for some reason. There are other ethnicities they could racebend for to where it doesn't need to seem so repetitive/obvious.

I guess Johns has taken some of other JSA POC's for Stargirl so they have to race-bend who they have available in this movie.
    You can still make fun of redheads in this world of PC, its acceptable to do. One of the few "non-protected" classes of humans, for whatever reasons. So I guess the movie people have figured this out and don't worry about recasting them. Bet it would be a bigger deal if they recast someone with blond or brunette that way.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, DC doesn't have a great record on that score. The inclusion of the JSA worries me, this early on. Black Adam's interaction/story with them starts long after his origin.
    I'm worried the JSA is going to look like old and ineffectual fuddy-duddies who aren't as "cool" or "satisfying" as Black Adam is.

Ultimate Member

I'm worried the JSA is going to look like old and ineffectual fuddy-duddies who aren't as "cool" or "satisfying" as Black Adam is.
    Yeah, that too. But I can withhold judgment until the trailer. Fingers crossed!

Incredible Member