Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758 LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

I stopped following wrestling a while ago, but reading that article, yeah it doesn't seem fair. Especially if this Cody Rhodes (his dad was one of my favorite wrestlers growing up) and Roman Reigns feud has been set up for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I stopped following wrestling a while ago, but reading that article, yeah it doesn't seem fair. Especially if this Cody Rhodes (his dad was one of my favorite wrestlers growing up) and Roman Reigns feud has been set up for a while.
    Rock: That doesn't work for me brother

I’ve seen clips of The Rock recently returning to his heel-ish glory in the WWE. I actually hated him as a “baby-face” but he was always one of my favorite wrestling villains. No one does pure arrogance and disdain for the crowd and every other wrestler like The Corporate Champ.

That’s the guy I was excited to see play Black Adam. The character who hovers inches above the ground because he refuses to let his godly feet touch the wretched mortal soil.

The Rock should have been perfect for this role if they would have just embraced the fact the Teth Adam is a villain. Instead we got that mopey “anti-hero” and a pedestrian flick

Black Adam smashing the throne was the most un-Black Adam thing you could think of.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-08-2024 at 09:15 PM.

I mean if they didn't put a stupid child in it that alone would have made the film 10000x better
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't call Adam strictly a villain but yeah, Rick clearly wasn't going to move an inch out of his usual comfort zone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’ve seen clips of The Rock recently returning to his heel-ish glory in the WWE. I actually hated him as a “baby-face” but he was always one of my favorite wrestling villains. No one does pure arrogance and disdain for the crowd and every other wrestler like The Corporate Champ.

That’s the guy I was excited to see play Black Adam. The character who hovers inches above the ground because he refuses to let his godly feet touch the wretched mortal soil.

The Rock should have been perfect for this role if they would have just embraced the fact the Teth Adam is a villain. Instead we got that mopey “anti-hero” and a pedestrian flick

Black Adam smashing the throne was the most un-Black Adam thing you could think of.
    Black Adam wasn't even really an anti hero, he didn't make any tough or morally ambiguous choices, he didn't really do anything that was actually wrong, sure he killed people but all of them were faceless terrorists, and he clashes with the JSA but that's because they attacked him first.
    Even the main bad guy in the end is basically just the devil.

The only thing he does that's slight wrong in the movie is when he hurts that kid, but that was an accident and it happened while Black Adam was trying to save him from terrorists.

Even in the end they talk about how his "darkness" is necessary, but nothing showed that, he only won because he was stronger than the devil guy, not because he did anything anyone else wouldn't have done.

Astonishing Member

The best Black Adam story I ever read was the very first one in which he appeared back in the original Fawcett Captain Marvel run -- and he was a despotic villain. As an anti-hero, he's less interesting to me. But, I guess Geoff Johns saw some value in him that way, but I feel he is best as a villain.

The movie was a set up as an origin story for Black Adam. It was not intended to be anything else, which was a big part of the problem. They really didn't establish why the JSA or Superman or anyone else would care that he's out there other than the old DCEU schtick of "oh nos, powerful being, we need to do something about this!" It was a super weak plot element of BvS and it remains a super weak plot element.

Really it would have been better to not do an origin story for him yet, but just have him be revived and then start kicking ass across the world. Have Black Adam interrupt a UN meeting or something at least, maybe kill some people? Save the mopey anti-hero stuff for the next movie once he is already established as a potential threat to everyone.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-11-2024 at 11:15 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The Rock using Black Adam type imagery to sell his new entrance was beautiful. It was the ultimate FU to those WBD executives and fans blaming him for Black Adam. The way he seemingly materializes at the final lightning strike with a cloud around him...was awesome.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I mean if they didn't put a stupid child in it that alone would have made the film 10000x better
    Thing is I don't know that the kid could have been avoided. The Rock was setting Black Adam up for sequels, and Amon and his mother Adrianna would have become Osiris and Isis respectively (in the comics they're brother and sister).

Though in retrospect, Amon should have become Osiris in this movie, and I thought that was how Black Adam was going to save him when he got shot (mirroring when Teth's son saved him).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Thing is I don't know that the kid could have been avoided. The Rock was setting Black Adam up for sequels, and Amon and his mother Adrianna would have become Osiris and Isis respectively (in the comics they're brother and sister).

Though in retrospect, Amon should have become Osiris in this movie, and I thought that was how Black Adam was going to save him when he got shot (mirroring when Teth's son saved him).
    The kid could have been useful if he was something other than Black Adam's hype man.

Weird that he knew so much about the Justice League, yet nothing of the JSA who must have been around much longer

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    The Rock using Black Adam type imagery to sell his new entrance was beautiful. It was the ultimate FU to those WBD executives and fans blaming him for Black Adam. The way he seemingly materializes at the final lightning strike with a cloud around him...was awesome.

But…it was his fault. The Rock has a lot of creative control. He should have been perfect for the role. For the traditional arrogant Black Adam that is. He plays the part perfectly as a heel in the WWE. Instead he wanted Black Adam to be a mopey sullen anti-hero who would “change the landscape of the DCU.” It was a huge missed opportunity and the movie was a disappointment.

Ultimate Member

But…it was his fault. The Rock has a lot of creative control. He should have been perfect for the role. For the traditional arrogant Black Adam that is. He plays the part perfectly as a heel in the WWE. Instead he wanted Black Adam to be a mopey sullen anti-hero who would “change the landscape of the DCU.” It was a huge missed opportunity and the movie was a disappointment.
    Yeah, The Rock implicitly tried to hijack the DCU, and the failures can be traced back to his creative decisions.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

DC film universe needed a bit of a shake up honestly. Things weren't going well as we saw and the idea was to inject some change into the stew. Only the 1st Aquaman , Shazam and Wonder Woman films were really good box office wise. The rest people felt under-performed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, The Rock implicitly tried to hijack the DCU, and the failures can be traced back to his creative decisions.
    Yes...he wanted Superman in the film to tease something ahead. That evil baaaastard. If people point to Shazam deal , well ...he wanted to really give a jolt to the mainstream DC Film universe. Which was Superman (which hadn't had a sequel and had this worked...Cavil would have gotten it) as a central figure etc.

Rock tried to take a slipping slope of a universe and give it a jolt. Executives got mad and so did fans. So now he trolls them with his cool entrance in a way. Which is peeerfect.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.