Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,758

    Lightbulb How would Toei’s Spider-Man be different if it was made today?

    Toei’s Spider-Man initially premiered in 1978 when Amazing Spider-Man had been going for about a decade and a half. How do you think the TV show would be different if it were made in 2020?

    It really does feel like the show is “What if Japan decided to adapt Power Rangers first?”, as much of the cast and plot is similar to Spider-Man in name only. In fact, many of the names and characters are often completely different. If it were made today, would the show be stricter in adhering to Spider-Man lore or would it still be the same?

    The origins of our main character, Takuya, are very different from Peter’s. He’s a young adult with two younger siblings. His father was killed discovering the Iron Cross Army, and he was injured discovering his father’s body. He stumbled upon a space ship containing an ancient warrior named Garia whose blood gave him his powers. Very different from most adaptations of Spider-Man.

    Spider-Man’s gadgets and modus oprendi are overall different. He transforms into Spider-Man with the use of a device, something that was actually uncommon at the time. Said device, the Spider-Tector, would also function as his web-shooters in the show. He’s never really seen fighting normal street criminals as Spider-Man does.

    The villains are also very different. Interestingly, the main antagonist, Professor Monster, seems to more be based on Doctor Doom than any notable Spider-Villain. He sends down monsters-of-the-week as you’d expect of a Tokusatsu villain, Spidey kills them, they return big, and then Spidey kills them for good with his giant mecha.

    What would be different today? I believe he’d mostly function as a Metal Hero. He wouldn’t get his powers randomly like in his original origin. He’d likely be a high school student that stumbles on to Garia or some scientist building weapons to fight off against some secret society of supervillains which would most likely be based on the Sinister Six. I think overall they’d include more bits of his original mythos but still making an obvious Toku production.

    Considering how merchandise driven children’s Toku tends to be, he’ll likely get continuous upgrades in his equipment (that can be marketed as toys) throughout a typical 50 episode run. He may get special movies that are crossovers with other Toei productions like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider.

  2. #2
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,080

    Default

    “What if Japan decided to adapt Power Rangers first?” - you do realise that Power Rangers is based on Toei's Super Sentai, right? In fact, the third Sentai series, Battle Fever J, had a giant robot, unlike the previous two entries, because it proved so popular in Spider-Man. Without Spider-Man (which was made after JAKQ and before BFJ, essentially replacing Sentai that year), there might not be Power Rangers, and there definitely wouldn't be Megazords.

    If the show were made nowadays, it would probably be faithful to the comic origins (he'd still be Peter Parker - they've seen live action comic book heroes now thanks to various movies and TV shows). If they still included mecha, he would definitely have more than one. He'd also have power upgrades (for example, he'd start with the classic red and blue, but could gain an Iron Spider form with the mechanical arms) and probably additional partners (Miles and Gwen), both things commonly seen in Super Sentai and Kamen Rider nowadays.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  3. #3
    Incredible Member Laufeyson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Well, this is a fun thread.

    I think if you ask me if what kind Tokusatsu show Spider-Man of 1978 if made today, then the answer will be the Neo-Heisei Kamen Rider instead of Sentai/Power Rangers. He will have a transforming belt that made him into a spider mutant encased in armor (kind like the transformation sequences of Kamen Rider Black or Amazons Rider). His web will be organic and Toei will cash on various costume as his power up.

    For story, to be honest, Ultimate Spider-Man is already toku enough that you can adapt it instantly.
    Akui, Kyōfu, Fun'nu, Zōo, Zetsubō, Tōsō, Satsui, Hametsu, Zetsumetsu, Metsubō

    PERFECT CONCLUSION: LEARNING END

  4. #4
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    “What if Japan decided to adapt Power Rangers first?” - you do realise that Power Rangers is based on Toei's Super Sentai, right? In fact, the third Sentai series, Battle Fever J, had a giant robot, unlike the previous two entries, because it proved so popular in Spider-Man. Without Spider-Man (which was made after JAKQ and before BFJ, essentially replacing Sentai that year), there might not be Power Rangers, and there definitely wouldn't be Megazords.

    If the show were made nowadays, it would probably be faithful to the comic origins (he'd still be Peter Parker - they've seen live action comic book heroes now thanks to various movies and TV shows). If they still included mecha, he would definitely have more than one. He'd also have power upgrades (for example, he'd start with the classic red and blue, but could gain an Iron Spider form with the mechanical arms) and probably additional partners (Miles and Gwen), both things commonly seen in Super Sentai and Kamen Rider nowadays.
    I absolutely know that. I was more referencing the change in style between the American production and the Japanese production.

    While Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai, the tone and setting are both notably different. Even the origins of the Rangers' powers could change. I was mostly highlighting how the story and production comes off as if a Power Rangers show was turned into a Super Sentai show.

  5. #5
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    9,634

    Default

    Sounds good to me so far. I'd agree that there would be more attempts to capitalize on merchandising opportunities like alternate/extra/super forms for himself and for Leopardon, an updated Spider-Machine GP-7 in the style of the Parker Industries-created Spider-Mobile along with a Spider-Cycle and a Spider-Jet for supplementary vehicular action, at least another Spider-type character to act as his partner (Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, and/or Anya Corazon), as well as maybe a more anti-heroic Spider-type character to act as his rival/occasional ally in the vein of Venom, Scarlet Spider, and/or Superior Spider-Man, and finally an updated or upgraded Spider-Brace or pair of Spider-Braces to serve as web-shooters and "henshin" devices.

    As for what he could look like . . . I draw your attention to Dan Mora, artist for the BOOM! Studios Power Rangers comics, and his designs for a hypothetical "Spider-Ranger."

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eb9TyZiU...g&name=900x900

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcsNwRaW...g&name=900x900

    Pretty cool, in my opinion.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,704

    Default

    With Spider-Man's story being so much better known thanks to video games, movies and cartoons, I would expect a modern adaptation would be closer to the original rather than just using Spider-Man's costume to do a generic Super Sentai type series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    180

    Default

    It would not be a Tokusatsu series at all. I think. In fact, I believe it would be mostly similar to what we saw in the "Spider-Man: Fake Red" manga.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    It would not be a Tokusatsu series at all. I think. In fact, I believe it would be mostly similar to what we saw in the "Spider-Man: Fake Red" manga.
    I don't think Toei handles manga, so it definitely wouldn't be that.

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don't think Toei handles manga, so it definitely wouldn't be that.
    I'm aware. I was mostly trying to say that it would be something along those lines, storywise. As opposed to a Tokusatsu series like the one made in the 70s. I just don't think Marvel today would allow such an out-there concept for Spider-Man stuff.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I'm aware. I was mostly trying to say that it would be something along those lines, storywise. As opposed to a Tokusatsu series like the one made in the 70s. I just don't think Marvel today would allow such an out-there concept for Spider-Man stuff.
    The more we discuss Marvel’s strategies, the more close-minded they come off as.

    We also have to consider that the target audience is the Japanese. What’s “out-there” to us can be pretty normal to them. Just compare the “Yakuza” series to “Mafia” for the style and tonal differences.

  11. #11
    Spectacular Member JTHM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The more we discuss Marvel’s strategies, the more close-minded they come off as.

    We also have to consider that the target audience is the Japanese. What’s “out-there” to us can be pretty normal to them. Just compare the “Yakuza” series to “Mafia” for the style and tonal differences.
    They are still owned by Disney after all. I am sure they have a tighter hold on how their properties are portrayed these days.

    And sure, I am not saying it's not going to be made with Japenese sensibilities, but that doesnt mean Marvel wont oversee. Fake Red is a story that's decidedly Japanese imo (Generic shonen protagonist becomes a Fake Spider-Man. It's basically what if Miles Morales but manga) and I think that's the kind of more grounded idea Marvel would allow.

    I mean, sure. They could possibly allow Spider-Man to be someone other than Peter. And fight original threats and things like that. But I wouldnt expect them to nod at the idea of him having a giant mecha, for example.

  12. #12

    Default

    I could see it being more influenced by current anime trends and it's 50/50 whether or not they would use Peter. A new Japanese Protagonist feels like a more pragmatic creative move to me.

    That isn't shade on Peter, just a new protagonist would have less strings attached. Granted I could see it also having Peter as the main protagonist, just moved to Japan like how most of the Marvel Anime series had japan-centered plots.

    So Peter would be a foreign exchange student or an assignment for the Daily Bugle/Horizon Lab etc.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I could see it being more influenced by current anime trends and it's 50/50 whether or not they would use Peter. A new Japanese Protagonist feels like a more pragmatic creative move to me.

    That isn't shade on Peter, just a new protagonist would have less strings attached. Granted I could see it also having Peter as the main protagonist, just moved to Japan like how most of the Marvel Anime series had japan-centered plots.

    So Peter would be a foreign exchange student or an assignment for the Daily Bugle/Horizon Lab etc.
    If it's animation, they'll use Peter Parker. If it's live action, they'll make their own character.

  14. #14
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    It would not be a Tokusatsu series at all. I think. In fact, I believe it would be mostly similar to what we saw in the "Spider-Man: Fake Red" manga.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don't think Toei handles manga, so it definitely wouldn't be that.
    JTHM just meant the style of storytelling. He was thinking it'd be anime - which Toei does do - Toei Animation do One Piece and Digimon.

    But why wouldn't it still be tokusatsu? You know that the Arrowverse shows are technically toku, right? The name applies to any special effects live action show, not just half hour superhero vs monster Japanese kids shows and their adaptations.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  15. #15
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    JTHM just meant the style of storytelling. He was thinking it'd be anime - which Toei does do - Toei Animation do One Piece and Digimon.

    But why wouldn't it still be tokusatsu? You know that the Arrowverse shows are technically toku, right? The name applies to any special effects live action show, not just half hour superhero vs monster Japanese kids shows and their adaptations.
    Did you see the poll for "best Toku character" which included "David Banner/Hulk" on the list?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •