Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Default Spidey kills Toku villains

How do people feel about Spider-Man killing the villains in his show? I’m not talking from an ethics standpoint as much as a plotting one?

Toku shows typically don’t keep their villains around forever (unless there’s a crossover event). How would you feel if Vulture was permanently defeated?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    How do people feel about Spider-Man killing the villains in his show? I’m not talking from an ethics standpoint as much as a plotting one?

Toku shows typically don’t keep their villains around forever (unless there’s a crossover event). How would you feel if Vulture was permanently defeated?
    I mean, if it's a Tokusatsu show and they're monsters instead of criminals, I think it's a completely different situation.

Unless they do it like Kamen Rider W where normal people use tech to transform into monsters but after the Finisher the tech is destroyed rather than the person who transformed into the monster.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, if it's a Tokusatsu show and they're monsters instead of criminals, I think it's a completely different situation.

Unless they do it like Kamen Rider W where normal people use tech to transform into monsters but after the Finisher the tech is destroyed rather than the person who transformed into the monster.
    Like I said, I’m not talking about ethics in this case. I’m more referring to how Toku shows don’t necessarily have rogues galleries the way comic books do.

Could people handle if Kraven were defeated permanently and never came back?

Like I said, I’m not talking about ethics in this case. I’m more referring to how Toku shows don’t necessarily have rogues galleries the way comic books do.

Could people handle if Kraven were defeated permanently and never came back?
    I think that would depend on if Kraven is normal Kraven or a monster version of Kraven.

Toku isn't averse to simply incarcerating people. Power Rangers did it twice, and Sentai at least once. The second time, SPD, trapped the monsters (who were actually alien criminals and not one of a kind monsters created by a big bad) in data cards, but in the Sentai counterpart Dekaranger, the villains were judged and if guilty basically got a death penalty, explaining why they destroyed them. It seems PR's makers, which at the time was Disney (it's gone back to Saban and then to Hasbro since then), balked at that, hence the change. The other time monsters weren't killed was in Time Force (the last Saban season before Disney took over) and it's source material Timeranger, which had the criminals shrunken down and basically turned into action figures! Both seasons were police themed, funnily enough (space police and time police respectively).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I could see it being more influenced by current anime trends and it's 50/50 whether or not they would use Peter. A new Japanese Protagonist feels like a more pragmatic creative move to me.

That isn't shade on Peter, just a new protagonist would have less strings attached. Granted I could see it also having Peter as the main protagonist, just moved to Japan like how most of the Marvel Anime series had japan-centered plots.

So Peter would be a foreign exchange student or an assignment for the Daily Bugle/Horizon Lab etc.
    I could see something like the Yu Komori Spider-Man from the manga, a Japanese teenager with similarities to Peter Parker (dork raised by his widowed aunt.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Toku isn't averse to simply incarcerating people. Power Rangers did it twice, and Sentai at least once. The second time, SPD, trapped the monsters (who were actually alien criminals and not one of a kind monsters created by a big bad) in data cards, but in the Sentai counterpart Dekaranger, the villains were judged and if guilty basically got a death penalty, explaining why they destroyed them. It seems PR's makers, which at the time was Disney (it's gone back to Saban and then to Hasbro since then), balked at that, hence the change. The other time monsters weren't killed was in Time Force (the last Saban season before Disney took over) and it's source material Timeranger, which had the criminals shrunken down and basically turned into action figures! Both seasons were police themed, funnily enough (space police and time police respectively).
    Back in those days, it was a common understanding that the police weren't supposed to kill people, and for impressionable kids like the ones watching a Power Rangers series, having the Rangers, even if they were police, blowing up mutant/alien/monster criminals would have sent a troubling message, to say the least. Hell, Time Force had an episode where Jen, the Pink Ranger and team leader, was ready to kill a mutant criminal for revenge, and she had to be talked down from going over that edge by Wes, the Red Ranger and viewpoint character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I could see something like the Yu Komori Spider-Man from the manga, a Japanese teenager with similarities to Peter Parker (dork raised by his widowed aunt.)
    Either that, or something like the more recent manga in the 2000s, Spider-Man J. Maybe even the most recent Spider-Man manga, Fake Red (R.I.P.). Given that series such as My Hero Academia and One-Punch Man have shown that Japanese manga/anime creators can do superheroes in a more Western style (they don't switch between a nonpowered "civilian form" and a superpowered "hero form"), I could see a new Spider-Man series by Toei working more in that vein.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah, that's one change they definitely would make from the 70s toku - no morpher!
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Yeah, that's one change they definitely would make from the 70s toku - no morpher!
    Why would they do that? Even in other "no morpher" Tokus, they still had a transformation sequence.

Besides, a morpher/changer is an easy toy to produce and sell.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Why would they do that? Even in other "no morpher" Tokus, they still had a transformation sequence.

Besides, a morpher/changer is an easy toy to produce and sell.
    Especially since some versions of Peter Parker have had similar devices to don their costumes, a la Spider-Man Unlimited (the cartoon, Marvel Database even calls it "Peter Parker's Wrist Morpher") and the MK IV Spider-Armor that could be activated via his wrist-worn Webware device (R.I.P.).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

But traditionally, Peter just removes his civilian clothes to reveal his costume underneath, and then puts the gloves and mask on.

Astonishing Member

But traditionally, Peter just removes his civilian clothes to reveal his costume underneath, and then puts the gloves and mask on.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if a Japanese viewer would thought that would look weird.

“Henshin Heroes” are practically part of Japan’s cultural identity.
    Last edited by PCN24454; 10-02-2020 at 11:08 PM.