Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thoughts on DC Metal?

Are you into the Metal stories? Do you love the Batman who Laughs? Love Perpetua? Love the crazy future/Mad Max world it takes place in?

Sometimes I feel Metal is a alternate universe story (pun intended), sometimes it feels you MUST read it as its part of the normal DCU.

After countless events that are forgotten three months after they finish, I've resigned myself to not get excited about them unless my favorite characters are involved in a major way.
    So I've been skipping Metal.

However, the upcoming story with '80s Starfire and Dr. Light II has me interested. I'll probably read it when it comes to DCUniverse.
    The re-purposed 5G covers look great, but I don't read comics for the covers. I'll just download the jpeg, which I can combine into one image. It will very likely be my next wallpaper.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

ZzzzzZZzzzzzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

More seriously im a big fan of Alternate timeline and Crisis kind of storyline. but both Metal series are up there along War of the Gods and Final Crisis for the top worst event

I liked the first one for what it was. But now it’s starting to feel like an invasive weed.

Utterly nihilistic.

There.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

I think you have too keep the Metal event separate from the Death Metal event, because while they deal with similar characters there kind of different stories with different tones.

Metal, while it did have some build up from Snyder's Batman work, mainly felt it was supposed to be this surprise that was considered to be a serious threat. Here was Barbatos and his evil armies ready to destroy the entire universe and it was up to our heroes to go on a perilous journey to stop him. It also went on to introduce the Dark Multiverse and get ready for what Snyder would do on Justice League.

Death Metal however, is a story that had quite a bit of build up from Metal to Hell Arisen, is making vast amounts of references and even using past continuity and events as story elements, and I would say is much more of a comedy. That is not to say it isn't trying to be serious but you can tell its kind of tongue in cheek about it, with its different kinds of evil batmen, ridiculous characters like Lobo or Jarro, and to what level it goes to in its absurdity.

So if I had to be concise, Metal was about that story and the Dark Multiverse invasion, while Death Metal has decided to hone in on continuity and universe itself.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

My first thought is, acknowledging that I'm tired of The Batman Who Laughs doesn't make me any less tired of The Batman Who Laughs. My second thought is, they're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Are you into the Metal stories?
    No
    Do you love the Batman who Laughs? Love Perpetua?.
    Hell no
    Love the crazy future/Mad Max world it takes place in?
    No

It’s ok. I found the first one interesting. Maybe cause I just recently reread Hickman’s Secret War and I didn’t like how Justice League ended I cant help but notice just how similar the overall settings and plot are to Marvels event. Still I’m intrigued with how it looks to tie everything together, The arts always fantastic and I am curious to see what the timeleine will look like once all is said ant done.

The original was fun in the silly way it was intended. The current sequel jumps the shark though. Its laughable in all the wrong ways this time. And TBWL is the worst and most overused villain since Superboy Prime.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

In my opinion, it’s gonna be boom or bust. Death Metal will either end on an epic note that fixes what needs fixing and be just huge which causes an excitement to rejuvenate the DC line, or it’s gonna fizzle out and be an eye roller that just doesn’t do what DC needs it to do at this point. It’s almost as if this is DC’s last shot to pull themselves up, give the longtime readers the satisfaction that we didn’t quite get from Brightest Day and Rebirth while, at the same time, give new/younger readers an excitement to pick up titles. Basically, after over shooting the runway, Death Metal MUST stick the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    No

Hell no

No
    HAHA, concise, love it.

I had a lot of fun with the first Metal. But you gotta keep in mind what it is; a big, loud, obnoxiously over the top homage to the crazy music and albums of 80's and early 90's era metal. And being a fan of such music (got the Metallica tattoo and everything) it was pretty easy and rewarding for me to jump into that headspace and enjoy the ride. Metal is probably one of my favorite DC events of recent years....though gods know that's not a high bar to surpass.

The sequel, I'm only two issues into and so far it feels like it's trying to capture the same energy as the first but isn't quite hitting the right power chords. It feels like it's trying too hard to be bigger and crazier than the original, and is focusing on being over the top more than it is on telling a story. If the first Metal was Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls (one of the best metal songs of all time), then Dark Metal is Andrew W.K's Party Hard (idiot pop metal that's just happy to be here).

Just to compare them, for you non-metal philistines, here's Metallica performing Bell with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_ryQRMDzI

And here's Andrew W.K.'s Party Hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Are you into the Metal stories? Do you love the Batman who Laughs? Love Perpetua? Love the crazy future/Mad Max world it takes place in?

Sometimes I feel Metal is a alternate universe story (pun intended), sometimes it feels you MUST read it as its part of the normal DCU.
    i don't understand it. I'm lost. where could you even begin at this point?

Reading it for two reasons: Wally West and the JSA.

For the most part it’s fun but I am rather Luke warm to it.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!