Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

I must say that I like the previous Metal. It's fun, over the top silly things that somehow because of the American Comic Book Writers way of writing, they made it like that it's actually something matters, even if it isn't. Like what Ascended said, it feels like Heavy Rock band of the 90s where it's loud, fun things that supposed to be enjoyed as what it is. While I think that the concept of BWL is too much like Judge Death and his dynamic quite similar in retrospect, I enjoyed his first few appearances, especially his first one shot and mini series. The same thing can be said with Perpetua and many other things. Have to be noted that I still didn't read Death Metal, because my country doesn't ship book in issues format so I am lagging behind you guys.

So if you ask me if I like BWL? I love his first appearances while the later when Tynion or Williamsons write him I don't like it.

Perpetua? As a whole she is interesting concept that should be explored more.

Metal? Metal is fun, over the top silly things that become matters because we are fans of the characters and the writers will it. I loved it for what it's.

The Mad Max World? I just say I kind like it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I had a lot of fun with the first Metal. But you gotta keep in mind what it is; a big, loud, obnoxiously over the top homage to the crazy music and albums of 80's and early 90's era metal. And being a fan of such music (got the Metallica tattoo and everything) it was pretty easy and rewarding for me to jump into that headspace and enjoy the ride. Metal is probably one of my favorite DC events of recent years....though gods know that's not a high bar to surpass.

The sequel, I'm only two issues into and so far it feels like it's trying to capture the same energy as the first but isn't quite hitting the right power chords. It feels like it's trying too hard to be bigger and crazier than the original, and is focusing on being over the top more than it is on telling a story. If the first Metal was Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls (one of the best metal songs of all time), then Dark Metal is Andrew W.K's Party Hard (idiot pop metal that's just happy to be here).

Just to compare them, for you non-metal philistines, here's Metallica performing Bell with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_ryQRMDzI

And here's Andrew W.K.'s Party Hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg
    If the Batmans of Metal had themes it would be Unforgiven by Metallica.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I must say that I like the previous Metal. It's fun, over the top silly things that somehow because of the American Comic Book Writers way of writing, they made it like that it's actually something matters, even if it isn't. Like what Ascended said, it feels like Heavy Rock band of the 90s where it's loud, fun things that supposed to be enjoyed as what it is. While I think that the concept of BWL is too much like Judge Death and his dynamic quite similar in retrospect, I enjoyed his first few appearances, especially his first one shot and mini series. The same thing can be said with Perpetua and many other things. Have to be noted that I still didn't read Death Metal, because my country doesn't ship book in issues format so I am lagging behind you guys.

So if you ask me if I like BWL? I love his first appearances while the later when Tynion or Williamsons write him I don't like it.

Metal? Metal is fun, over the top silly things that become matters because we are fans of the characters and the writers will it. I loved it for what it's.

The Mad Max World? I just say I kind like it.

Fun?

You must have an odd definition of fun.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

Pure trash, only praised by people who think that 'dark and edgy = mature and deep' or that 'fun= blatant stupidity'. Story has been a mostly incoherent, nonsensical mess that introduced garbage concepts and characters:

Dark Multiverse(we don't need a universe filled with bad ends, for what purpose does this crap exist?)

Barbatos( Batman doesn't need a connection to some random dark god, he has enough issues already. Hawkman doesn't benefit from the Barbatos connection either, it made him more convoluted, something I thought was impossible)

Batman Who Laughs, Darkest Knight or whatever the hell he calls himself now. Hopefully he and Superboy Prime kill each other off in their upcoming fight.

Perpetua,who despite being hyped as 'the biggest and baddest big bad EVER' is going to be backstabbed by BWL to shill him further.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Pure trash, only praised by people who think that 'dark and edgy = mature and deep' or that 'fun= blatant stupidity'.
    It's possible to dislike something without insulting the people that do like it.

I disliked Metal, so I didn't read Death Metal, and based off the story recaps I've read I don't regret that decision. But that's me. I didn't like it. The books are top sellers, so obviously there are people that do like it. I'm not going to fault those that do. It's just not for me.

The comic market is only getting smaller by the year. We don't need the few people left in it trying to push each other away from it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Fantastic Member

There should be a rule for all writers against this:

At some point, when the protagonists' success or failure is at stake, someone suddenly turns to the camera and describes a rule, a rule that was never mentioned before, about what works and doesn't work, and then shows them succeeding or failing because of that never-before-discussed rule.

It's lazy storytelling, takes the reader out of the story, and DC Metal did it over and over again.

My memories of it are a blur of scenes where Hawkgirl or someone is telling Batman or someone, "Eighth metal will stop the sinking of the Earth, but here in the sunken place, the vibrations of eighth metal can't reach us" or something like that. Horrible storytelling.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    There should be a rule for all writers against this:

At some point, when the protagonists' success or failure is at stake, someone suddenly turns to the camera and describes a rule, a rule that was never mentioned before, about what works and doesn't work, and then shows them succeeding or failing because of that never-before-discussed rule.

It's lazy storytelling, takes the reader out of the story, and DC Metal did it over and over again.

My memories of it are a blur of scenes where Hawkgirl or someone is telling Batman or someone, "Eighth metal will stop the sinking of the Earth, but here in the sunken place, the vibrations of eighth metal can't reach us" or something like that. Horrible storytelling.
    Snyder's been the king of deus ex machina for a while now. I honestly just don't get the hype for him anymore. He's made any sense of scale in the DC Universe totally meaningless and his propensity for mash-up concepts is lazy and frustrating to me. I've always found his writing style to be a little too prosaic, but the dude used to have compelling ideas.

Spectacular Member

I find it BLOATED, LOST, and BORING.
    The whole Perpetua character is stupid. It seems like the author wants to have the ''definite'' word on the cosmology of stuff and for this he FORCES this irrelevant narrative. I just want it to be over, fast!

Pure trash, only praised by people who think that 'dark and edgy = mature and deep' or that 'fun= blatant stupidity'. Story has been a mostly incoherent, nonsensical mess that introduced garbage concepts and characters:

Dark Multiverse(we don't need a universe filled with bad ends, for what purpose does this crap exist?)

Barbatos( Batman doesn't need a connection to some random dark god, he has enough issues already. Hawkman doesn't benefit from the Barbatos connection either, it made him more convoluted, something I thought was impossible)

Batman Who Laughs, Darkest Knight or whatever the hell he calls himself now. Hopefully he and Superboy Prime kill each other off in their upcoming fight.

Perpetua,who despite being hyped as 'the biggest and baddest big bad EVER' is going to be backstabbed by BWL to shill him further.
    That was way harsh, Ty!

Incidentally, I cannot disagree with a single point.

I just feel it sad that DC''s Cosmology and it's Divinities are sacrificed for NOT the most imaginative fare. They elected to demystify the Source Wall with some fairly basic fare. But oh well.

If the Batmans of Metal had themes it would be Unforgiven by Metallica.
    Ha! I dunno, Unforgiven is too beautiful and powerful a song to be claimed by those guys. Maybe Ronnie or King Nothing, from the Load era albums.

Wait, no, make that Unforgiven III, which is a bad derivative of the original and loses all sense of identity and purpose in favor of re-hashing an incredible main riff.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Fun?

You must have an odd definition of fun.
    Lol you are not the first person to say that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ha! I dunno, Unforgiven is too beautiful and powerful a song to be claimed by those guys. Maybe Ronnie or King Nothing, from the Load era albums.

Wait, no, make that Unforgiven III, which is a bad derivative of the original and loses all sense of identity and purpose in favor of re-hashing an incredible main riff.
    King Nothing is more suitable for Death Metal from what I heard. But, Ronnie is suitable for Metal.

Astonishing Member

The one thing I do like is the Dark Multiverse; I believe it's purpose is to spawn villains!

Since villains are the life-blood of super-hero comics, I welcome the addition of the Dark Multiverse to the mythos.

In fact, I fully believe the Crime Syndicates' Earths originated there.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 09-22-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Astonishing Member

I like the idea that the ultimate villainess is the creatress of the multiverse.

That said, I wouldn't mind if her and her sons (monitor, anti-monitor, world-forger and Barbatos (?)) all went into comic book limbo for a while.