Astonishing Member

Default Superman and He-Man

Does anyone remember the story from the early 80s where Superman meets He-Man:

https://he-man.fandom.com/wiki/From_..._--_With_Death!

There is also some of the new crossovers, DC having the rights to Masters of the Universe and Skeletor figting the Justice league a couple of years ago.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/what...justice-league

So what do you think of Superman's crossovers with He-Man?

Skeletor is kinda of interesting villain for Superman to fight, being a mage. Skeletor in the recent DC comics tried to destory all of reality, which would have included the DC universe.

He-Man has aspects similar to both Superman and Conan the Barbarian.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I bought the DC Comics Presents Showcases a while back and that story is in them. Also, the original comic was the first appearance of the New Teen Titans. So it's probably worth a pretty penny.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Does anyone remember the story from the early 80s where Superman meets He-Man:

https://he-man.fandom.com/wiki/From_..._--_With_Death!

There is also some of the new crossovers, DC having the rights to Masters of the Universe and Skeletor figting the Justice league a couple of years ago.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/what...justice-league

So what do you think of Superman's crossovers with He-Man?

Skeletor is kinda of interesting villain for Superman to fight, being a mage. Skeletor in the recent DC comics tried to destory all of reality, which would have included the DC universe.

He-Man has aspects similar to both Superman and Conan the Barbarian.
    Quite vividly since its a bonus part of the MOTU Omnibus I read not so long ago

The DC vs MOTU storline you mention is actually a "sidequest" in the big Omni story; they are the same characters of the same storyline during Hordaks siege on Eternia & Skeletor trying to destroy reality (although thats on another part of the story).

https://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Master...dp/1401290493/

Collects He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #1-19, He-Man: The Eternity War #1-15, DC Universe vs. Masters of the Universe #1-6, DC Comics Presents #47 and He-Man/Thundercats #1-6

Personally I love both characters and universes. But thats a type of crossover that can easily go south. It was nice that this time He-Man visited the home of his human half for the first time (I think).

The MOTU setting does lend itself to be open to quite a few crossovers, considering Eternia (He-Man's home) tends to get a lot of stranded visitors. Prince Adam's (and Adora's) mother as a prime example. So having the occasional crossover works.

Another one that is more recent, and doable since WB bought the company that makes it, is RWBY. And since RWBY takes place on its own planet, a crossover is possible.

I enjoyed the Superman and He-Man crossover comics from the 1980s as far as gimmicky crossovers go, but I never really felt the two universes mixed that well.

I didn't really enjoy the JL/MOTU crossover from a few years ago. I think that story really suffered from, what I believe is, the incompatibility of the two universes.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I love when they crossover. They are my favorite characters in fiction. Masters of the Universe draws some inspiration from the New Gods as well. As a kid I'd always have them crossover when I'd play.

Weirdly enough Superman has not beaten He-Man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Popularity doesn't alway mean victory.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Isn't that usually because Skeletor is mind-controlling Superman when they fight? Superman and He-Man have no reason to fight unless some outside force makes them to fight and usually a mind-controlled hero will not win in one of these fights.

Also, DC invented the secret identity of Prince Adam for He-Man, before that He-Man was just a random barbarian who didn't get his strength from magic. So DC Comics gave He-Man a Clark Kent like secret identity of being a bumbling rube to contrast his more heroic counterpart, which Filmation ran with.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I love when they crossover. They are my favorite characters in fiction. Masters of the Universe draws some inspiration from the New Gods as well. As a kid I'd always have them crossover when I'd play.
    Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRUCNdcCmes&t=6s

John Byrne called the 1987 He-Man movie a Fourth World movie.

I think He-Man and Masters of the Universe is part Fourth World, part Conan and DC Comics added some Superman elements when they made some He-Man comics in 1982.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 10-04-2020 at 04:35 PM.