Page 113 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113
Results 1,681 to 1,694 of 1694
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    That relies too much on stuff off screen to trust that they had contact on a level where now they'd just come to each other's aid. Wanda was not hiding with them. She was hiding with Vision.
    I gathered that Scarlet Witch and Vision were not hiding together so much as it was that SW and V were sneaking off together from time to time. Not too sure what he was doing with his time, but Vision referred to their time as stolen moments in Infinity War.

I do agree that Cap's Renegades were not all bunkered in the same place. Black Widow's grousing at SW indicate that they were hiding separately, but were supposed to stay low and stay in touch.

I finished this a little late due to my work schedule, but I wanted to reflect on the show before starting Falcon and Winter Solider.

I honestly enjoyed this show more than I have any others in a good while. The writing, acting, and character development were all handled with such expertise. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany had so much chemistry together, and they really got to explore it here more than in the films. Each episode was a joy to see the two of them playing off of each other. And while speaking of performances, Kathryn Hahn was an absolute thrill, both as Agnes and Agatha (and I feel like I'll never get that song out of my head lol).

In terms of humor, I was genuinely impressed with how much they recaptured the styles of so many sitcoms spanning across multiple decades.

And of course, I was happy to see Billy and Tommy, and I'm glad that it seems the MCU is setting up the Young Avengers. It's also nice to the MCU completely do away with their early rule of "no magic" (of course they've had magic in the MCU before this, but WandaVision really felt like it threw open the doors). I never liked that concept to begin with, but I understood why they started out that way.

Overall, the MCU TV series are a brilliant way to flesh out characters who didn't get enough time in the spotlight during the movies, and allows for even deeper exploration of themes like trauma. For Wanda, I agree with others that I don't want to see her regress into an antagonist or villain. I'd much prefer to see her continue to grow and begin to heal from her experiences. I will also agree, it felt like Monica forgave Wanda a little too quickly and easily, but the purpose was to show that at least someone understood Wanda's grief.

I'm going to miss this show, and I can't wait to Wanda again in MoM. But this was a clear example that demonstrates why the MCU continues to reign supreme.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Synestra View Post
    I finished this a little late due to my work schedule, but I wanted to reflect on the show before starting Falcon and Winter Solider.

I honestly enjoyed this show more than I have any others in a good while. The writing, acting, and character development were all handled with such expertise. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany had so much chemistry together, and they really got to explore it here more than in the films. Each episode was a joy to see the two of them playing off of each other. And while speaking of performances, Kathryn Hahn was an absolute thrill, both as Agnes and Agatha (and I feel like I'll never get that song out of my head lol).

In terms of humor, I was genuinely impressed with how much they recaptured the styles of so many sitcoms spanning across multiple decades.

And of course, I was happy to see Billy and Tommy, and I'm glad that it seems the MCU is setting up the Young Avengers. It's also nice to the MCU completely do away with their early rule of "no magic" (of course they've had magic in the MCU before this, but WandaVision really felt like it threw open the doors). I never liked that concept to begin with, but I understood why they started out that way.

Overall, the MCU TV series are a brilliant way to flesh out characters who didn't get enough time in the spotlight during the movies, and allows for even deeper exploration of themes like trauma. For Wanda, I agree with others that I don't want to see her regress into an antagonist or villain. I'd much prefer to see her continue to grow and begin to heal from her experiences. I will also agree, it felt like Monica forgave Wanda a little too quickly and easily, but the purpose was to show that at least someone understood Wanda's grief.

I'm going to miss this show, and I can't wait to Wanda again in MoM. But this was a clear example that demonstrates why the MCU continues to reign supreme.
    I generally agree with you. Although i didn't find the pre-2000s sitcom stuffy funny for the most part, but I thought I wasn't supposed to.

I'm also interested in seeing what happens to Wanda down the road, and, later on, Billy and Tommy!

I'm wondering, though, what exactly separates magic from any other power source in the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I generally agree with you. Although i didn't find the pre-2000s sitcom stuffy funny for the most part, but I thought I wasn't supposed to.

I'm also interested in seeing what happens to Wanda down the road, and, later on, Billy and Tommy!

I'm wondering, though, what exactly separates magic from any other power source in the MCU?
    Generally speaking the pre-2000s sitcoms wasn't likely to appeal to a younger audience, which would include me, but I was more so impressed with just how well they captured the essence of them. And even when some of the older jokes didn't land, Olsen and Bettany still managed to make it charming with their chemistry. For me, it probably also helped that I did watch various episode of I Love Lucy and Bewitched as a kid, even though they were well before my time.

As for the MCU's power sources, they haven't clearly defined what separates magic (unless I'm forgetting something from Doctor Strange). But I imagine that with magic being so firmly ingrained in the MCU now, we'll definitely be getting more explorations and explanations. And I'm genuinely happy about that, as I've always liked a lot of the mysticism in Marvel, which was why I disliked the old "no magic, science only" rule.

I understand the reason was likely to reach a wider audience by starting the MCU out more in a more grounded nature, but they were clearly still using magic is places during early phases, like Odin enchanting Mjollnir, and it was annoying when they would do something like refer to the Staff of One as "high tech" in Runaways.

Ultimate Member

Generally speaking the pre-2000s sitcoms wasn't likely to appeal to a younger audience, which would include me, but I was more so impressed with just how well they captured the essence of them. And even when some of the older jokes didn't land, Olsen and Bettany still managed to make it charming with their chemistry. For me, it probably also helped that I did watch various episode of I Love Lucy and Bewitched as a kid, even though they were well before my time.
    They did capture the feel of the old shows very well, almost too well tbh! The corniness creeped me out but that was the point IMO. I do think the MCU is a bit obsessed with nostalgia at times but it works here. I guess that's a symptom of being run by Boomers and Gen-X!

As for the MCU's power sources, they haven't clearly defined what separates magic (unless I'm forgetting something from Doctor Strange). But I imagine that with magic being so firmly ingrained in the MCU now, we'll definitely be getting more explorations and explanations. And I'm genuinely happy about that, as I've always liked a lot of the mysticism in Marvel, which was why I disliked the old "no magic, science only" rule.

I understand the reason was likely to reach a wider audience by starting the MCU out more in a more grounded nature, but they were clearly still using magic is places during early phases, like Odin enchanting Mjollnir, and it was annoying when they would do something like refer to the Staff of One as "high tech" in Runaways.
    The thing is people might not buy magic because if it always existed, why did no one use it? And how exactly does it work, when we've gone to great lengths to explain the scientific powers? Not my questions, but some I've heard from others

Astonishing Member

What is the "magic is just science we don't understand?"

I'm sure the next Iron Man equivalent could come up with a crazy technobabble explanation for magic powers that makes perfect sense to him but not to most of us watching too...

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

I'm sure the next Iron Man equivalent could come up with a crazy technobabble explanation for magic powers that makes perfect sense to him but not to most of us watching too...
    I think now DOOM is actually on the horizon it makes sense for them to distinguish magic and technology, as DOOM uses both and sees them as two distinct things. We’ve already seen some of the concept of magic being the power of extra-dimensional beings that can be tapped into via ritual, e.g. the Dormammu stuff in Dr Strange, so that’s already a big distinction from Thor saying “to us they are one and the same”.

Makes me wonder whether they’re using the Mandarin translation to smooth things over for the Chinese market, where depictions of magic are apparently not allowed.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 03-22-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

True. I'm just wondering if magic is like a religious thing in the MCU. Is it like the Force? Where does it come from?

The thing is people might not buy magic because if it always existed, why did no one use it? And how exactly does it work, when we've gone to great lengths to explain the scientific powers? Not my questions, but some I've heard from others
    Well, based on the response to WandaVision, I don't think people will have too big a problem accepting magic in the MCU. It's really always been there, especially after Doctor Strange. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with new elements being introduced in a universe that has aliens, time travel, and reality warping with the Infinity Stones.

If it really became an issue, I'm sure they could come up with an explanation like titanfan said (science and magic really being the same), though I prefer them as distinct and separate things.
    True. I'm just wondering if magic is like a religious thing in the MCU. Is it like the Force? Where does it come from?
    It's only just being truly explored, so we don't have a full explanation yet. Even Wanda as a character doesn't understand it yet and was only studying the Darkhold at the end of the show to learn more herself. But "religious" type magic, like invoking the Vishanti or Cyttorak, hasn't been introduced yet that I can recall.

Ultimate Member

Well, based on the response to WandaVision, I don't think people will have too big a problem accepting magic in the MCU. It's really always been there, especially after Doctor Strange. I can't see why anyone would have a problem with new elements being introduced in a universe that has aliens, time travel, and reality warping with the Infinity Stones.

If it really became an issue, I'm sure they could come up with an explanation like titanfan said (science and magic really being the same), though I prefer them as distinct and separate things.
    It's only just being truly explored, so we don't have a full explanation yet. Even Wanda as a character doesn't understand it yet and was only studying the Darkhold at the end of the show to learn more herself. But "religious" type magic, like invoking the Vishanti or Cyttorak, hasn't been introduced yet that I can recall.
    I don't mind magic myself. I just sometimes feel the writers themselves may not entirely be telling us the rules as they do with characters like Iron Man.

Nonetheless, I can't wait to see more magic with SW, DS and Wiccan eventually

BANNED

I don't mind magic myself. I just sometimes feel the writers themselves may not entirely be telling us the rules as they do with characters like Iron Man.

Nonetheless, I can't wait to see more magic with SW, DS and Wiccan eventually
    Rules are an interesting thing. Iron man destroyed all his armor, until 40 more needed to show up. I assume it's a rule magic doesn't allow for altering time, but it does allow for interacting with the time stone which can do that.

If I had to guess, I'd say magic is a way of interfacing with the natural laws of the universe in a way technology can never accomplish.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Rules are an interesting thing. Iron man destroyed all his armor, until 40 more needed to show up. I assume it's a rule magic doesn't allow for altering time, but it does allow for interacting with the time stone which can do that.

If I had to guess, I'd say magic is a way of interfacing with the natural laws of the universe in a way technology can never accomplish.
    You have a good point. And that's not even getting into Ant-Man

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post

Or Marvel Technology interfaces with nature in a similar-but-different way than Marvel Magic. Iron Man's last two armors were "nano-tech", with properties that seemed very much "abra kadabra."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Or Marvel Technology interfaces with nature in a similar-but-different way than Marvel Magic. Iron Man's last two armors were "nano-tech", with properties that seemed very much "abra kadabra."
    I thought Tony's nano-armor was pretty consistent. I appreciated it because it made him more than just a flying brick