Page 10 of 113 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh, watched the first ep and didn't really get it. I thought the whole 50s tv thing would be a quick/parody or segway into actual present day MCU. But it went on the whole episode. I guess you probably have to read the comic first or have some prior knowledge of the series.
    Did your device auto-correct to say "segway??" Genuinely curious since ... that's not the word. And Segways should no longer be in the lexicon.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    For now overall I liked it, I could have watched 4 more episodes now and been completely into it. So bottom line it will take a few more episodes to be able to recommend it. And I think for a lot of people they might want to wait to binge if they don't have patience.
    Which is silly. Remember how some people lost their **** when "The Boys" went weekly? I think it was a much better viewing experience and I get why they changed considering the story they wanted to tell. With this show, I guess the idea of "leaving them wanting more" is more of an indictment these days.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yup, I'm done watching week to week. I'll binge watch when they are all out.
    Other than a few Easter Eggs, I thought it was horrible, at least in terms of being interesting and wanting to keep the viewer engaged.
    And people wonder why monthly comic books are dying. It's funny how bingeing went from being a new thing to almost expected in such a short period. And people were complaining about how Netflix shows with their 13 episode seasons released at once, lagged in the middle even though they were watching them all in one weekend. Can never please everyone, that's for sure.

One thing I thought when watching this was that it gave Olsen a reason to not have to keep up her accent ... fun coincidence?

Also loved how the toaster light looked like Vision and his mindstone - one little bit of color. I really hope Vision in this series doesn't end up being just a figment of Wanda's imagination. And with the mindstone, who can say what's possible? SWORD's involvement makes this whole thing seem more terrestrial, and maybe more like the Matrix, but I'm hoping for something more interesting. I'm glad to be able to think about it rather than feel pressured to watch the whole thing this weekend for fear of assholes on the internet spoiling it all the second it comes out.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-15-2021 at 08:22 PM.

So, any speculation as to who Kathryn Hahn is playing? An established Marvel character, or someone new? The trailer indicates she's more involved and perhaps sinister than what we've seen so far.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    So, any speculation as to who Kathryn Hahn is playing? An established Marvel character, or someone new? The trailer indicates she's more involved and perhaps sinister than what we've seen so far.
    I'm pretty sure it's been spoiled somewhere, but her character is "Agness" and we know Wanda has a history with "Agatha Harkness" ... that's the only clue I have and it's only a guess since I try to avoid spoilers.

I loved it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Magician Vision reminded me a lot of Rik Mayall from the old British comedy The Young Ones, however maybe that's just me.
    It was not just you.
    Sounds perfect.

Enjoyed the first two episodes enough. But wtf this is a bold choice. I think some casuals might flick this on and be utterly confused. I can't say it woulda been better to tease some more of what's really going on up front. Because the pay off doing this way might be amazing. Just saying some people are gonna see this and be confused.

I enjoyed how they used tropes from older sitcoms to also play up the mystery of what's going on. Showing Wanda and Vision are as clueless as the audience.

Also Hahn is 100% playing Agatha Harkness.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    No. That would mean having to acknowledge anything that came from Marvel TV.
    And we have to remember that the Framework was destroyed, the only people that knew about it and how to work/make it are either dead, in a different timeline, or completely against rebuilding it. So even if it was the Framework they would have to explain how it was rebuilt, how/why Wanda and who knows how many people became trapped in it, why it is set up like sitcoms and jumps through the decades, why Wanda's reality only has Vision back and not her parents and brother as well.

Man, it does the heart good to see the Marvel Studios intro again, now with Endgame footage, although it was sad seeing Black Panther...

It's got to be surreal for some given how long it was since we've gotten proper MCU content, only for it to turn out to be so surreal and unconventional, especially with the Black Widow delays. But in some ways it sets up the Disney+ Marvel Studios shows to kind of break the mold and do something different.

I love how we get different intro's for each "era" of show.

The commercials are a nice touch. Stark Industries was apparently into toasters once upon a time and the Strucker's had their own brand of Hydra watches? I'm guessing those were only a hit in Germany :sweat:.

(Although maybe Wanda is just conjuring commercials from what she knows, like Tony and Baron Strucker/Hydra).

Elizabeth Olsen's Wanda performance is so much stronger without an accent.

Good thing they found a convenient and believable way for Paul Bettany to not have to wear Vision's makeup 24/7.

So is Agnes Agatha Harkness? She's insinuated herself as Wanda's best friend, but how in on it is she?

What is going on? Jimmy Woo's voice seems to think somebody put Wanda in this world, but it seems like she has some degree of control over it (ala House of M) since she had to order Vision to save Mr. Hart and she rewound time when a SWORD agent popped up in the world. Plus how things conveniently end up working out for them and Wanda getting pregnant. I guess the issue is that, even if she didn't necessarily create it for herself, she doesn't want her life with Vision to end again.

Granted, I thought that was a SWORD Agent, but the beekeeper thing made me wonder if AIM was partially responsible.

I guess there's another question of how aware the townspeople are of what's going on. It seems like they're generally oblivious right up until something happens that causes them to break character and force Wanda to explain what's going on, like they know she's somewhat responsible or just don't have any idea what's going on.

Wanda in that dress! Wanda in a nightgown! Wanda dressed as Glamor! Glamorous is more like it.

Anyone wanna bet that, once the world is undone, the last thing Wanda is left with or sees go is the wedding rings?

But it was pretty neat to see them incorporate Illusion and Glamor as stage magician identities for Vision and Wanda instead of their neighbors who secretly moonlight as thieves (although I kind of liked that too). Of course, as lovely as Wanda is and looked, she's no Zatanna.

Is that how Vision's body actually functions or is sitcom logic actually altering how he works for the sake of the plot? It somehow making him act drunk was hilarious and reminded me of Baymax in low power mode from Big Hero Six.

So now we're just treating Wanda's powers like magic when it used to be...I dunno, relatively sci-fi based telekinesis/energy manipulation? I guess part of that is to fit within the era-specific sitcom they're deriving inspiration from, and to allude to the future Dr. Strange connection, but I'm almost tempted to think it's setting up Wanda's powers to be whatever the plot needs them to be.

"Wanda...turn the lights off." Well, one way or another, I think we can pinpoint when the Twins were conceived.

So I guess all the talk about "for the children" and the casual mentions of Wanda and Vision having kids lead to Wanda's sudden pregnancy? I'm not quite sure if that's how biology works, but at least it's not Carol Danvers' comic pregnancy.

Wanda's headpiece showing up in digital form makes me hopeful we might finally see it in her full costume and not just in a Halloween costume.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What is going on? Jimmy Woo's voice seems to think somebody put Wanda in this world, but it seems like she has some degree of control over it (ala House of M) since she had to order Vision to save Mr. Hart and she rewound time when a SWORD agent popped up in the world. Plus how things conveniently end up working out for them and Wanda getting pregnant. I guess the issue is that, even if she didn't necessarily create it for herself, she doesn't want her life with Vision to end again.
    The way I see it, Wanda created this world as a means to cope with all the losses she's had to deal with. It somehow spiraled out of control and that started affecting everything around her. Perhaps a benevolent force influenced her to do this in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The way I see it, Wanda created this world as a means to cope with all the losses she's had to deal with. It somehow spiraled out of control and that started affecting everything around her. Perhaps a benevolent force influenced her to do this in the first place.
    Yea I think she clearly in control there are brief moments that showcase this. But I'm also fairy certain that someone is manipulating her. Whoever it is Agatha is probably helping them. If had to bet money She is gonna have a change of heart and help Wanda. I know Nightmare has been rumored for a long while but I'm leaning towards Memphis. Theres even some Devil lines they seem to put some focus on. Bettany says there is a surprise actor in this show that hasn't leaked. I assume some big actor is playing the big bad and it's not Peter Evans. Saw fan art of Pacino as Mesphisto and I'd love that. I know he was a GOTG fan and was open to being in the MCU few years back.

Edit : Oy Auto correct makes Mesphito into Memphis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Did your device auto-correct to say "segway??" Genuinely curious since ... that's not the word. And Segways should no longer be in the lexicon.
    You know what? I was surprised to see it spelled that way. I was sure it had a fancier spelling but that was the first spelling that came up. Damn the internet. SEGUE lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Stark Industries was apparently into toasters...
    Stark Industry 'toasters' killed her brother and destroyed her town.
    Sounds perfect.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

And people wonder why monthly comic books are dying. It's funny how bingeing went from being a new thing to almost expected in such a short period. And people were complaining about how Netflix shows with their 13 episode seasons released at once, lagged in the middle even though they were watching them all in one weekend. Can never please everyone, that's for sure.
    This, what happened to enjoying a slow burn? It all has to be now now now.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm glad that they've finally made a production for a different audience, the more diversity in tone and viewership the better. It only took what like 30 movies? I hope the MCU plot stuff is saved for the very end, just let the series be mostly in these strange sitcom environments.

Elizabeth Olsen is terrific, as always. Looking forward to more.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-16-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Without any spoilers about the actual plot please, what comic books story/arc is WandaVision based on? Watched the episodes and I assume this can't just be it, that there is a twist/ "a-ha" coming up.