Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Without any spoilers about the actual plot please, what comic books story/arc is WandaVision based on? Watched the episodes and I assume this can't just be it, that there is a twist/ "a-ha" coming up.
    It's loosely based on the Scarlett Witch and Vision mini series from the 80s

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

And also the recent Vision series and some also believe elements of the Pleasant Hill storyline from Avengers a little while ago.

BANNED

Starting off as the quintessential problem with trying to make a 13 hour movie. So far we have an hour of content, three minutes of "something isn't right," and zero story progression. I like a slow buildup as much as the next guy, but this is neither period funny nor modern suspenseful.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    that was interesting, for one thing the filming was really impressive, it doesn't look like they just slapped a camera filter on it really looks like it's shot in black and white, and the little bit of color introduced in episode 2 is visually striking. I imagine the weirdness will ramp up as the series progresses
    They probably did film it in black and white. I mean, it seems to me that they went to great lengths to recreate the effects of that time (using strings and wires for when Wanda was floating things). Also, according to a behind-the-scenes video I saw on YouTube, they were so devoted to recreating the era that they filmed the first episode in front of a live studio audience.

And that's one of the things that I love about what I watched. WandaVision doesn't seem so much interested in parodying mid-century sitcoms as they were in just being one. Olsen and Bettany's chemistry and comic timing is on point as far as an old sitcom is concerned. There's pretty much no winking at the audience about how corny old shows were or how backwards the values of the '50s and '60s were. And they just recreate the warm, fuzzy vibe of watching one of the shows from that time period. Which makes it all the more unsettling when something happens that shows that not all is right or what it seems.

And I totally get that some people out there won't be down for the whole Nick at Nite thing that the show was doing. But I was here for it. Granted, I had recently watched a whole bunch of Flintstones and Jetsons which are both themselves quirky mid-century sitcoms, so maybe I was in the right mindset. But I'm looking forward to more. I hear there are episodes aping sitcoms from other decades coming up and personally, I kind of hope the '80s or '90s one comes complete with the kind of theme song opener you'd see on a Miller-Boyett sitcom complete with people turning towards the camera and smiling.

Extraordinary Member

I hear they even consulted with Dick Van Dyke for the fifties episode

The mystery could almost be anything based on what Wanda brings - she has roots in magic but SWORD implies aliens and we've heard this might tie into Dr Strange.... it could go anywhere.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The mystery could almost be anything based on what Wanda brings - she has roots in magic but SWORD implies aliens and we've heard this might tie into Dr Strange.... it could go anywhere.
    In the MCU, supposedly SWORD is the Sentient Weapons Observation and Response Division, which suggests that their job isn't dealing with aliens so much as dealing with super-humans who they think have too much power for their own good. Or, in a more literal sense, maybe keeping tabs on super people who were created by nefarious forces as weapons, like Wanda was by Strucker and Vision was by Ultron.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    In the MCU, supposedly SWORD is the Sentient Weapons Observation and Response Division, which suggests that their job isn't dealing with aliens so much as dealing with super-humans who they think have too much power for their own good. Or, in a more literal sense, maybe keeping tabs on super people who were created by nefarious forces as weapons, like Wanda was by Strucker and Vision was by Ultron.
    Ooohhh, I hadn't realized they changed it. Good to know.

I really liked the first 2 episodes, they're doing a great job setting up the mystery and sprinkling Easter Eggs throughout. They also really got that sitcom style down perfectly. I really kind of wish I could binge watch this one, but the weekly schedule feels appropriate for this series .

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synestra View Post
    I really liked the first 2 episodes, they're doing a great job setting up the mystery and sprinkling Easter Eggs throughout. They also really got that sitcom style down perfectly. I really kind of wish I could binge watch this one, but the weekly schedule feels appropriate for this series .
    I feel shows with a slow burn is better to binge. There's isn't enough here to sink your teeth into for weekly viewing.

I’m curious to see what exactly has given Wanda this power boost to alter reality on this scale. She hasn’t displayed this level of power before...

Interesting video from IGN on who is behind this (contains spoilers and potential spoilers!):
    https://youtu.be/PqxB9aUrccM

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I wonder if this will be relevant to Mutants. Would they be categorized as "Sentient Weapons?"
    Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    I’m curious to see what exactly has given Wanda this power boost to alter reality on this scale. She hasn’t displayed this level of power before...
    Yeah, her powers were kind of vague before but they were just vaguely telekinesis with some matter manipulation involved if I recall correctly (they kind of forgot about the mental manipulation after AoU).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I feel shows with a slow burn is better to binge. There's isn't enough here to sink your teeth into for weekly viewing.
    Correct, contrast this with the expanse, as much as I loath them moving to weekly on amazon to pad the content, the episodes are hefty enough you don't feel like you ate nothing for a meal but puffs of air.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    That's how it was in the comics one day boom house of m just happened