Page 107 of 113 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1694

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    How can you guys not see what's staring you in the face? Jimmy was looking for someone in witness protection --> Ralph is an actor --> Ralph laughed at his own name like it was a joke --> He talks more like a Californian than someone from NJ --> Ralph's not his real name. His real name is Simon Willams!! He's going to mind-meld with Vision to give him that spark of humanity he needs and Simon will die then come back with powers. It's obvious!! ... Hexagons! (and Jimmy didn't say anything when he saw him because the Wanda issue was a much bigger problem - he knew he wasn't Pietro, he just figured Pietro had been recast, like Darcy said)
    And you know who's gonna bring him back with powers? Yup you guessed it Mephisto.. in all seriousness I was all in with Nightmare and I still think he will be what she releases in Dr Strange 2(Though I'm almost 50/50 on Cthon aswell now). The director said because of covid they had to change the ending. He even said there was a cameo they couldn't get worked out(Dr Strange I assume but maybe whoever the villain is)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    That's why it was fun.
    And yet, if that’s the only real dramatic reason behind a red herring, than it’s a waste of time, and it does make a creator a bit of troll, and the joke a bit of a “cheat;” good red herrings that play with the audience still have their dramatic weight work in-story, rather than depending on out-of-story signaling to the fans that borders on false-advertising.

The rest of the show’s red herrings were either well handled (especially regarding Vision’s situation vis-a-vie the one on Westview and his body becoming Cataract) or likely accidental (the unnamed aerospace engineer seems to have more likely been a narrative shortcut than anything intentional), or even baseless (the Mephisto/Nightmare speculation never popped out of anywhere but the audience’s heads.)

The Quicksilver thing was such a clear usage of out-of-universe knowledge and logic it becomes a lazy storytelling device - the character and his episodes are more like needless filler wasting time and breaking up pacing for the stuff that really matters. And while they can trot out the “It’s an in-joke, not meant to make you speculate!” excuse... it’s still just an excuse; they were either massively ignorant and unimaginative, or spiteful towards speculation.

Sometimes when a creator complains about speculation, I get it. Sometimes, though? It’s just someone getting angry at someone else having better imagination than they do, and trying to make an excuse to defend an ego.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    And yet, if that’s the only real dramatic reason behind a red herring, than it’s a waste of time, and it does make a creator a bit of troll, and the joke a bit of a “cheat;” good red herrings that play with the audience still have their dramatic weight work in-story, rather than depending on out-of-story signaling to the fans that borders on false-advertising.

The rest of the show’s red herrings were either well handled (especially regarding Vision’s situation vis-a-vie the one on Westview and his body becoming Cataract) or likely accidental (the unnamed aerospace engineer seems to have more likely been a narrative shortcut than anything intentional), or even baseless (the Mephisto/Nightmare speculation never popped out of anywhere but the audience’s heads.)

The Quicksilver thing was such a clear usage of out-of-universe knowledge and logic it becomes a lazy storytelling device - the character and his episodes are more like needless filler wasting time and breaking up pacing for the stuff that really matters. And while they can trot out the “It’s an in-joke, not meant to make you speculate!” excuse... it’s still just an excuse; they were either massively ignorant and unimaginative, or spiteful towards speculation.

Sometimes when a creator complains about speculation, I get it. Sometimes, though? It’s just someone getting angry at someone else having better imagination than they do, and trying to make an excuse to defend an ego.
    Def agree with this. Very well said.

BANNED

They want y'all to be patient.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wandavisi...183739066.html
    'WandaVision' director says that fans disappointed by the true identity of Evan Peters' character should be patient

This almost feels like Iron Man 3 Mandarin reveal all over again.

Last edited by juan678; 03-12-2021 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

As far as I'm concerned you're just proving my assessment of people that were upset about the QS thing. That you potentially think Marvel was spiteful about any of it seems way off. Why wouldn't they want fans to speculate?

Also, I'm guessing it's pretty much the only time they could have done something like this. I don't know how things are going to go down in Doctor Strange 2, but WandaVision with a fake QS, regardless of the meta-wink, was totally appropriate for the show.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

The Quicksilver thing was a meta gag about sitcom recasting and using fan favorite actors. Fans shouldn't take it personally. The entire premise of WandaVision was being meta.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The Quicksilver thing was a meta gag about sitcom recasting and using fan favorite actors. Fans shouldn't take it personally. The entire premise of WandaVision was being meta.
    That's true. I think part of it is buildup over how he's been shafted in the movies during the last decade

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's true. I think part of it is buildup over how he's been shafted in the movies during the last decade
    Only a small portion of the audience would consider QS "shafted." They make the films for the movie-going audience as a whole who likely have no deep-set opinion of either QS enough to think he's not being handled correctly.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member

I think the bigger issue here is doing a multiverse tease that ends up being a bait and switch-dick joke. And then telling fans they're a holes for not liking it or thinking it's funny. Like "That's what you get for speculating dummy." Like yeah don't do that and expect ppl not to be upset.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Only a small portion of the audience would consider QS "shafted." They make the films for the movie-going audience as a whole who likely have no deep-set opinion of either QS enough to think he's not being handled correctly.
    I was referring more to QS fans

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think the bigger issue here is doing a multiverse tease that ends up being a bait and switch-dick joke. And then telling fans they're a holes for not liking it or thinking it's funny. Like "That's what you get for speculating dummy." Like yeah don't do that and expect ppl not to be upset.
    Whos calling people dicks for speculating? They wanted people to speculate. Everybody had theories and that was intentional. The writer ans director have both said it was suppose to be Meta Joke. That while Wanda's trying trying accept him as her brother but knows something not right with this Quicksilver. That the audience would feel the same way. What better way then casting a familiar face that we know for sure isn't our Pietro. If they would have casted a random actor fans would have speculated too. But by using Evans people would immediately assume this isn't just Wanda recasting her brother there's more to it. It worked great as a diversion. Other then a Meta Joke nothing in this show slightly hints at a multiverse. Now people are upset there isn't a multiverse yet. Spiderman and Dr Strange 2 are around the corner.

I do wonder if Westview will be mentioned in Falcon and the Winter Solider? Curious if it becomes public knowledge or if SWORD and the Government kept it under wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I do wonder if Westview will be mentioned in Falcon and the Winter Solider? Curious if it becomes public knowledge or if SWORD and the Government kept it under wraps.
    I believe it happens around the same time period so I doubt it , Plus I believe Winter Solider and Falcon was shot first.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

why get the Fox version to pretend to be a real version he had already played in a real movie about the character? I remember saying I did not think the sony characters should return even before it was official in No way home. now we see why, they just take too much, also another gag fake out was the problem with Iron Man 3 Mandarin, I just think it is a gimmick they need to stop doing. Be that as it my, It was a wrong sort of gag. I think some fans are very wounded, this is why the director is telling them to be patient, so does that mean Evan is coming back....again? if he does, I hope he is the only one from the fox films but I guess that may depend on how no way home happens with Dr Strange and his multiverse.

Wanda can really go solo and leave this behind. Her real bond was always with Pietro not Dr Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    why get the Fox version to pretend to be a real version he had already played in a real movie about the character? I remember saying I did not think the sony characters should return even before it was official in No way home. now we see why, they just take too much, also another gag fake out was the problem with Iron Man 3 Mandarin, I just think it is a gimmick they need to stop doing. Be that as it my, It was a wrong sort of gag. I think some fans are very wounded, this is why the director is telling them to be patient, so does that mean Evan is coming back....again? if he does, I hope he is the only one from the fox films but I guess that may depend on how no way home happens with Dr Strange and his multiverse.

Wanda can really go solo and leave this behind. Her real bond was always with Pietro not Dr Strange
    I literally answered your first question in my post. Getting a random person wouldn't be getting a "fan favorite actor" and then it wouldn't be meta. It'd truly be pointless.

And this has nothing to do with Spidey 3 since we have no clue what that film's about. You also thought that Peter's was playing Fox's Quicksilver but was wrong so maybe chill on the predictions of doom.