Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

11. Brown Bomber
    Name: Unknown
    Profession: Unknown
    Powers and Abilities: He is a powerless Caucasian, but when he screams "Black Power!," he transforms into a stereotypical African-American with superpowers similar to that of Captain Marvel. His powers only last for one hour after he says "the magic words", but it can be assumed that he can say the words more then once. When he is not "The Brown Bomber", he is an obese Caucasian male.
    EDIT - Notes: Created by Dwayne McDuffie, according to internet lore, his appearance may be based on Brian Michael Bendis. The Brown Bomber was the original concept for Black Lightning.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 09:22 PM.

BANNED

12. Aqualad/Aquaman
    Name: Kaldur'ahm; Jackson Hyde
    Profession: Student; Professional Superhero
    Powers and Abilities: Superhuman strength; Adapted to underwater environments; Can swim at superhuman speed levels; Mystical Hydrokinesis; Bio-Electric Energy Blasts; Hydro Swords That Can Shift Into a Shield and Various Weapons; Natural-Born Leader and Planner; Master Strategist; Master of Deception and Duplicity
    Notes: While the Aquaman family hasn't had electricity generation associated with them, Kaldur joins a tradition of Black Electricity Users.

13. Spider-Man
    Name: Miles Morales
    Profession: Student
    Powers and Abilities: Superhuman strength, speed and agility; Ability to cling to solid surfaces; Camouflage (invisibility); Venom strike; Venom blast; Precognitive Spider-Sense; Wrist-mounted web-shooters to shoot webbing from wrists; Bio-electric energy threads produced from fingers
    Notes: While the Spider-Man family hasn't had electricity generation associated with them, Miles joins a tradition of Black Electricity Users.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

11. Brown Bomber
    Profession: Unknown
    Powers and Abilities: He is a powerless Caucasian, but when he screams "Black Power!," he transforms into a stereotypical African-American with superpowers similar to that of Captain Marvel. His powers only last for one hour after he says "the magic words", but it can be assumed that he can say the words more then once. When he is not "The Brown Bomber", he is an obese Caucasian male.
    Notes: Created by Dwayne McDuffie, his appearance is based on Brian Michael Bendis. The Brown Bomber was the original concept for Black Lightning.
    I've never heard this part before, you have a source on that? because this just looks like a generic bald white guy.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-20-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

14. Black Power
    Profession: Professional Villain
    Powers and Abilities:
    Notes: Black Power was the evil counterpart of Black Lightning and appears in Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

BANNED

15. Lightning
    Name: Jennifer Pierce
    Profession: Student; Adventurer
    Powers and Abilities: Electric generation and manipulation; Flight
    Notes: Originally she was created as Black Lightning's daughter (and she appears as his daughter in outside media), however, she has been retconned into being his cousin. See Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands.

BANNED

I don't know any others, so if other folks do, then feel free to add to the list.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 09:02 PM.

BANNED

16. Baal Hadad from The Wicked and the Divine

17. Electro from The Amazing Spider-Man 2

18. Electro from Marvel's Spider-Man

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 09:34 PM.

BANNED

19. Thunder Fall

20. Volt from Irredeemable

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 09:34 PM.

BANNED

Now I really can't come up with any more.

Stand up comedian: White people do super powers like this--

Stand up comedian: While Black people do super powers like this--

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    i see. I think the connection is a bit of revisionism on the part of fans based on Bendis being a big proponent of racial diversity in comics nowadays, because I don't think Bendis was making those kinds of waves back in 2008 (nearest I can tell) when McDuffie revived the character, nor do I think he and Bendis had any bad blood for him to be taking a shot at Bendis on the page.
    I've edited the original post now. Thanks for calling this out.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Thunder Fall

Volt from Irredeemable

Where is Thunderfall from?

8. Third Raikage
    Name: A
    Profession: Ninja; Raikage
    Powers and Abilities: Master of the Black Lightning technique.
    Notes: Black Lightning is a unique form of Lightning Release utilised by the Third Raikage, who passed it on to Darui alone.

9. Darui
    Name: Darui
    Profession: Ninja; Raikage
    Powers and Abilities: Darui was once a student of the Third Raikage. During his training, Darui learned, among other things, the Raikage's unique black lightning technique.
    Notes: Also appears to have been influenced by Marvel's Black Panther, since his Black Lightning takes the shape of a Black Panther.

I assumed these guys were based on Storm because of their blonde hair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I assumed these guys were based on Storm because of their blonde hair.
    I'm guessing they're based off Storm, Black Panther, and Black Lightning. They literally have a technique called Black Lightning. They really did their wiki reading, lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where is Thunderfall from?
    He was a side character in the David Zavimbe Batwing book.

--

And these are just the Black heroes linked to Black Lightning.

There are others out there with electric powers who are linked to Storm in some way, like her son in the Next Avengers movie or Rapture from Savage Dragon.

Darla from the Shazam family is also unrelated but has Lightning powers.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-20-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Incredible Member

Interesting posts secretwarrior.

Is there any reason black lightning inspired so many characters?

Retired

It seems to me there's a bunch of other characters that might not have been influenced by Black Lightning--although some might have influenced him--but which could be called fellow travellers.

The original lightning powered super-hero--well one of them (several got their powers from lightning or weather events)--is Blue Bolt created by Joe Simon. You can see the similarity in name. And that probably later inspired Jack Kirby and Stan Lee to create Black Bolt.

The Forever People have Vykin the Black, who has mastery of electricity. In the Amalgam Universe, Black Bolt and Vykin the Black are amalgamated as Vykin the Black Bolt.

You have Storm, who predates Black Lightning, yet seems to be part of this strange impulse to have electrical storms associated with black super-heroes.

The Marvel Family were all created by the magic lightning. And the first villain they faced in their own comic book was Black Adam. He looked very white back then. And he didn't return until after D.C. revived the Marvels in the 1970s. And he was still white in appearance. And for a long time after that. But in the last few decades, Black Adam has become more like the person of colour he ought to be, given his origins.

Jakeem Thunder started out as J.J. Thunder--who was much more of a black stereotype--who controls the Thunderbolt. An interesting side note is that the second Johnny Thunder--the Western hero--had a horse named Black Lightning. The original Johnny Thunder had a mixed-race son out of wedlock named Will Twotrees, codename Will Power, who had electro-magnetic powers and joined Primal Force.

There's the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents which includes electric super-heroes like Dynamo and Lightning. Before Black Lightning had his Thunder and Lightning, there was already a pair of siblings that were Thunder and Lightning in THE NEW TEEN TITANS 32 (June 1983).

There's also characters like the villainess Livewire who battled Superman. And there's electric Superman himself.

I'm sure there's even more shocking characters that might not be influenced by Black Lightning but have electrifying similarities.