Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Planet gotham and there was damian. Does that count?
    Probably the biggest sore spot in the Bendis Legion book, at least for me. God, I was frustrated with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    If anything, your enthusiastic response to Bendis's work on both Superman and the Legion is pretty much the exception and not the rule, based on what I've seen both here and elsewhere on the net. Most seem to think his work Legion is a) not what anybody wanted, and b) further evidence that he can't write a team book to save his life.
    I'm glad you've found something to love about it!

I dropped it when he scrambled Cosmic Boy's backstory so badly, but I may pick it up again in the future and try to reread it "With Eyes Unclouded By Hate."
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Probably the biggest sore spot in the Bendis Legion book, at least for me. God, I was frustrated with that.
    Nah! Damian and jon are stuck with each other in a manner. I was only dissatisfied with execution.Unlike batman, I don't think damian is toxic for the kid. Batman is entirely toxic for superman as a character. The character has to become something else to contrast and compliment batman. That's just bad.

Some would argue jon is bad for Damian because he makes him less radical, ******* like. But, i have come to appreciate the character much more because everyone is not bowing to the almighty son of bruce wayne.The kid has certain charm as an *******. ******* characters can be fun. Beats batman/superman nonsense where One is an insufferable know it all/gary stu and the other is pushover. All seeing Buddha! Superman did become the fake glasses persona.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-03-2020 at 02:34 AM.

Hmm, now I might have to give it another chance.

This book made a mediocre first impression on me. The massive amounts of 21st century DC utilized in the book was way too much for a series set 1000 yeras in the future. Rose Forrest, Jon Kent, Damian Wayne, Aquaman's Trident all made it seem like Bendis was writing an Elseworlds JL book. But the future parts of the story started to take hold. I see there was a lot of work done of changing and updating most characters of the team and for the most part I was OK with them. Obviously I can't expect every updating to be to my liking but I could deal with those I wasn't crazy about (like Mordru).

Gender and racial diversification is a big part of the cast here. It's odd to see two out of three founders not looking or acting like their original versions, but I get the intent. Looking like takes a bit of getting used to, but where I was lost was characters having different personalities than they did. But since the overall combinations balance, a closer look and more careful examination should suffice.

The story itself seemed to meander at first, but in reading it as a whole the Trident arc seemed to last a lot longer than it should have. But when thought about with all the introductory material being presented, the balance between exposition and plot comes off a lot better. Bendis does seem to be writing overall stories moreso than individual issues. Parts I liked were the pushing of Jon to get through the introduction. That may be an inefficient and backward way to do it with 31st century tech, but it's something that will connect with many readers.

I like this series and my initial trepidation turned out to be unfounded.

10 issues in and I think Bendis is getting more comfortable with his take on the team, but I still have no idea who half these characters are supposed to be in the new version.
    Who is that Skeleton lady?
    What makes Monster Boy different from Cham?
    Why was Phantom Girl's sole plot point of breaking up with Mon-El instantly ignored so now Shadow Lass is the one who's dating him?
    Are Dream Girl and White Witch no longer sisters?
    Are there no confirmed LGBTQ+ members yet?
    What's up with Gold Lantern?
    And so many more questions... I truly feel the book will end before we get anything close to satisfying responses and characterizations.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Am I the only one annoyed by the giant blocks of Interlac in this book? I don't want to just skip them since they have interesting information, but it's such a chore! I can read it, but I still stumble over a few letters here and there so it just takes a long time and the way it's laid out is just tiring on the eyes. They used to be fun little easter eggs, but sometimes I don't even read the book until I have the motivation to dig through all that Interlac.

Is there a website or something that regularly provides the translations?
    I have the same problem. Interlac is fun, but I think Bendis overuses it. It takes me a LONG time to read each paragraph and most of the times I'm left disappointed at the few nuggets of new infos.

I kind of gave up on it, several issues in, partly because covid put the kibosh on my comic collecting; but it was moving at a bendis pace, and I still didn’t know who all the legionnaires were. Those blurbs were illegible to me.

I never gave it it chance.

First. Im not a big fan of Bendis ....ok i should say i cant stand his writing.
    Second if only he tried to do a new team or like some guess that it's was the Legion of the 32th century or something like that MAYBE i would have try it. Like i try the Justice League 3000
    But no he erase everything **** on it and now he's trying to make us love his slow pace, incomprehensible story.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    10 issues in and I think Bendis is getting more comfortable with his take on the team, but I still have no idea who half these characters are supposed to be in the new version.
    Who is that Skeleton lady?
    What makes Monster Boy different from Cham?
    Why was Phantom Girl's sole plot point of breaking up with Mon-El instantly ignored so now Shadow Lass is the one who's dating him?
    Are Dream Girl and White Witch no longer sisters?
    Are there no confirmed LGBTQ+ members yet?
    What's up with Gold Lantern?
    And so many more questions... I truly feel the book will end before we get anything close to satisfying responses and characterizations.

I have the same problem. Interlac is fun, but I think Bendis overuses it. It takes me a LONG time to read each paragraph and most of the times I'm left disappointed at the few nuggets of new infos.
    Did Bendis ever say he'd make any of the rebooted Legionnaires LGBTQ+, or was that something some fans just assumed?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    Second if only he tried to do a new team or like some guess that it's was the Legion of the 32th century or something like that MAYBE i would have try it.
    Yeah, I have a tepid sort of interest in new characters like Monster Boy, but I've seen four or five different takes on Lightning Lad, Brainiac 5, Saturn Girl, etc. over the decades and have less than zero interest in yet another tired retread of those characters. If you can't (or don't want to) build on the base constructed by many great writers who've come before, them make your own damn Legionnaires and give us a chance to fall in love with them.

I also don't like how he surgically cut out black and Asian Legionnaires to instead racechange some classically white characters. Why no Tyroc or Myg or Kid Quantum or Dragonmage? There are a *dozen* pre-existing Legionnaires of color that he had to work pretty darn selectively to exclude.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Did Bendis ever say he'd make any of the rebooted Legionnaires LGBTQ+, or was that something some fans just assumed?
    It was assumed. The Legion has had LGBTQ+ members since the 80s. It would be a major step back to not have representation in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    I never gave it it chance.

First. Im not a big fan of Bendis ....ok i should say i cant stand his writing.
    Second if only he tried to do a new team or like some guess that it's was the Legion of the 32th century or something like that MAYBE i would have try it. Like i try the Justice League 3000
    But no he erase everything **** on it and now he's trying to make us love his slow pace, incomprehensible story.
    Bendis is everything I hate about modern comics.