Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Default Flash Fans: What is your ideal Rogues lineup?

What is your favorite assemblage of the Flash's classic Rogues?

Is it the Silver Age Version, with Sam Scudder as Mirror Master, James Jesse as Trickster, The Top still alive, and Hartley Rathaway still villainous? Perhaps Golden Glider, Dr. Alchemy, and Rainbow Raider as well?

Or maybe you like the Johns-era lineup, with Evan McCulloch as Mirror Master and Axel Walker as Trickster. You might even prefer Owen Mercer as Captain Boomerang.

Or maybe you prefer a custom-made team that mixes and matches all of the above!

So what's your ideal lineup? Do you guys think Abra Kadabra fits in with the rest of the Rogues? And what line-up do you think would work best for the plot of a Rogues movie?

Discuss!

Silver Age Rogues for Barry.

Post-Crisis Rogues for Wally (including the legacies).

I love the Johns lineup with the exception of Axel. I can't stand his character. I like Boomer Jr a lot but I enjoyed him more an as anti hero in Supergirl. I didn't like Johns short take on him. I think that character had a lot of potential.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I'm down with that general division too, but which would be your favorite line-up for a new graphic novel or film? And who's included? There are quite a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I love the Johns lineup with the exception of Axel. I can't stand his character. I like Boomer Jr a lot but I enjoyed him more an as anti hero in Supergirl. I didn't like Johns short take on him. I think that character had a lot of potential.
    He definitely did have a lot of potential. I was pretty shocked when they killed him off.

To me the Flash mythos is the Flash mythos, it'd be really unnecessary and limiting to try and carve out slices for every flash.

Whatever happened with Turbine? The last time I've seen him was back in the New 52 when Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato was writing the series.

Astonishing Member

He got lost in the wash because he was a Top ripoff and they brought back the Top in Venditti's run without knowing a guy named Roscoe with spinning powers already existed. So that was that.

Basically everything from the Manapul run didn't stick because it was so aggressively bland. Amusingly, more stuff from Venditti's run stuck despite being absolute garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm down with that general division too, but which would be your favorite line-up for a new graphic novel or film? And who's included? There are quite a lot of them.
    As a standard:

- Captain Cold

- Heat Wave

- Golden Glider

- Mirror Master (Sam Scudder)

- Weather Wizard

- Trickster (James Jesse)

- Pied Piper (pre-hero)

- Captain Boomerang (OG)
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    To me the Flash mythos is the Flash mythos, it'd be really unnecessary and limiting to try and carve out slices for every flash.
    Yeah, but every Flash has their own part of that mythos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Whatever happened with Turbine? The last time I've seen him was back in the New 52 when Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato was writing the series.
    I think he was killed off in Williamson's run. That arc with Barry in Iron Heights?

Astonishing Member

Johns' Rogues. McCulloch is so much better than Scudder. I guess it's a wash for me on Jesse vs Axel. I kind of like Axel getting The Rogues into trouble but Jesse is a more...I dunno, believable villain on his own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Johns' Rogues. McCulloch is so much better than Scudder. I guess it's a wash for me on Jesse vs Axel. I kind of like Axel getting The Rogues into trouble but Jesse is a more...I dunno, believable villain on his own merits.
    Jesse's basically a much bigger villain than Axel in every way, but Axel has that youthful enthusiasm and rookie Rogue legacy status going for him.

I sometimes miss McCulloch's accent .

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

This!!
    The OG Rogues are the benchmark.
    That said, the new additions were overall pretty great.
    Tar Pit, Double Down, Girder, Zoom - all top notch.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    So what's your ideal lineup? Do you guys think Abra Kadabra fits in with the rest of the Rogues? And what line-up do you think would work best for the plot of a Rogues movie?

Discuss!
    For a movie? I'd probably run with something like; Cold, Heatwave, Mirror Master (Evan, because unintelligible Scottish is great), Weather Wizard, and Golden Glider.

For a Flash movie, five villains is a lot and they'd struggle to give each of the Rogues adequate screen time but a quality director and script could maybe make it work. For a Rogues-centric movie, which in my head looks like something Guy Richie or Tarantino would make (I'd watch the f*ck out of that!), five main characters is a solid balance with plenty of time for solo development as well as a exploration of group dynamics.

I think if you start getting into stuff like former members like Scudder, or an expanded roster with Trickster, or Top, or Boomerang.....that's too much for a film. It could work in tv, and it works in comics, but not in movies. At least not until the sequels. At most I'd be okay with a throwaway line about Boomerang being part of the group before getting arrested and put in the Squad, with a cameo by the actor just for funsies, but even that tiny amount of screen time is precious seconds being taken away from the active roster.

And no I don't think Kadabra fits with the Rogues anymore. I like these guys as a group of powerless villains who, on their own, have no real hope of taking down Flash but through strength of numbers and Cold's carefully made plans are actually capable of holding their own (or rather, managing to escape with the loot). Kadabra doesn't need the power boost, he's a threat all by himself, and I think he's too unpredictable to be welcomed among them.

Oh, and it's not really part of this discussion but is closely tied to it; I want the Rogues to be regular humans with good tech, not metahumans. Weather Wizard's wand can just be the remote control for a huge weather machine the size of a building, hidden in a nearby mountain outside Central City, and you can use the same kind of approach for Mirror Master, but once you start making these guys super, they lose a lot of that "honest blue collar crook" appeal.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    He got lost in the wash because he was a Top ripoff and they brought back the Top in Venditti's run without knowing a guy named Roscoe with spinning powers already existed. So that was that.

Basically everything from the Manapul run didn't stick because it was so aggressively bland. Amusingly, more stuff from Venditti's run stuck despite being absolute garbage.
    I love that run for the art but pretty much yeah I mean, hey anybody remember Mob Rule? lol. anybody?

Yeah, but every Flash has their own part of that mythos.
    different elements were introduced when different characters were the main guy sure, but giving those characters ownership or dibs over those elements over the others, has never been a rule before, I don't think they should start now.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 09-21-2020 at 06:09 PM.

BANNED

The Silver Age of course. They are the mix between comically serious and menacing at the same time. It's infinitely more fun than the metahumans of CW series.

BANNED

All of the ones with alliterative names: Captain Cold, Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard.