Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I think storm and t'challa was one of those comic relationships that was never meant to go on for this long. Given how poorly t'challa treated her after AvsX, I'm glad coates went back and explored their relationship further and had t'challa apologise for treating her so atrociously. Coates had them heal together and narratively it makes sense because storm deserved an apology and its also not in her character to leave any relationship (romantic or platonic) on the mends for so long. They kept her pooping up in black panther and related titles to boost sales and as a storm fan I didn't mind the added exposure especially since it was around the time storm was being pushed aside in the x-books. Then came black panther success in the mcu which meant more black panther push in the comics and now its starting to get ridiculous. It's come to the point where each time africa or storm's roots are being mentioned it automatically means storm is going to be in wakanda and i'm starting to get annoyed.

Yes I understand that wakanda is marvel current most popular african and black setting/title/characters in the marvel universe, but given the character history it doesn't make sense for ororo to have such a deep connection to wakanda when she spent what? a year at most living there. Storm and her connection to wakanda is starting to trump her connection to kenya when that's her actually ethnicity and origin, the land of her ancestors and the heritage where she gets her white hair and godhood from. We don't even see storm mention egypt anymore, and that's the place she grew up in and spent the first 19 years of her life.

They made Kenya a protectorate of Wakanda.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    And no Coates involved? Works for me.
    Yeah...absolutely no Coates. *insert Edna Mode meme*
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    person-stares-especially-heinous.jpg

what kind of neo-colonianist nonsense... now i'm kinda really glad i'm not up to date with black panther lmao

Astonishing Member

what kind of neo-colonianist nonsense... now i'm kinda really glad i'm not up to date with black panther lmao
    That neocolonialist development happened in an X-book written by Jonathan Hickman. The Black Panther books haven't even referenced it once. Reason #135 why these two franchises should rarely intersect.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    That neocolonialist development happened in an X-book written by Jonathan Hickman. The Black Panther books haven't even referenced it once. Reason #135 why these two franchises should rarely intersect.
    And the hits just keep on coming.

??? ' ' ' ' '
    GrindrStone(D)

Oh wait the economic protectorate? They mentioned it the movie a bit towards the end and I think and in the comics too. Basically the countries bordering wakanda are on an economic trade/agreement as wakanda's new policies towards cooperation and maintaining good relations and more openness with their neighbours. I got really scared for a second there but to be fair a full on protectorate does seem like wakanda would do given the country history and lack of solidarity with the rest of africa but that's not something I really want to be explored. But I will say I wouldn't have named it economic protectorate

Astonishing Member

The only person who mentioned anything about protectorates or empires in the first Black Panther movie was the villain who was killed by T'Challa at the end. When he made his speech to the UN he framed the discussion in terms of refugee programs and tech/social support. And at no point in any in-continuity story has Wakanda turned land that was inhabited into a protectorate or annexed colony, prior to Hickman at least. Whether Wakanda would do it or not (I don't think they would) is up for debate. I just wanted to clarify that the development you seem to have a problem with has absolutely nothing to do with the Black Panther books and is an invention of the X-office.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Oh wait the economic protectorate? They mentioned it the movie a bit towards the end and I think and in the comics too. Basically the countries bordering wakanda are on an economic trade/agreement as wakanda's new policies towards cooperation and maintaining good relations and more openness with their neighbours. I got really scared for a second there but to be fair a full on protectorate does seem like wakanda would do given the country history and lack of solidarity with the rest of africa but that's not something I really want to be explored. But I will say I wouldn't have named it economic protectorate
    Think of it in a similar vein to the Hellfire Trading Company...if that helps.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

The only person who mentioned anything about protectorates or empires in the first Black Panther movie was the villain who was killed by T'Challa at the end. When he made his speech to the UN he framed the discussion in terms of refugee programs and tech/social support. And at no point in any in-continuity story has Wakanda turned land that was inhabited into a protectorate or annexed colony, prior to Hickman at least. Whether Wakanda would do it or not (I don't think they would) is up for debate. I just wanted to clarify that the development you seem to have a problem with has absolutely nothing to do with the Black Panther books and is an invention of the X-office.
    At the end of the movie when t'challa was talking to shuri and told her about the center for science and technology he also mentioned economic boost and cooperations plus there was the nomad shepherds and rural armers living on the border of wakanda to keep up the image of wakanda being a poor country who's economy heavily relies on agriculture. Again I wouldn't call it protectorate giving the history behind the word.

Astonishing Member

At the end of the movie when t'challa was talking to shuri and told her about the center for science and technology he also mentioned economic boost and cooperations plus there was the nomad shepherds and rural armers living on the border of wakanda to keep up the image of wakanda being a poor country who's economy heavily relies on agriculture. Again I wouldn't call it protectorate giving the history behind the word.
    I don't understand your point. Wakanda's internal policies are irrelevant to the question of whether they have protectorates or would even want them. A protectorate is a country controlled by another, in Hickman's case economically. That was never discussed by T'Challa or anyone else in the ruling family during the BP film. The only people talking like that were Killmonger, who was killed, and W'Kabi, who was imprisoned. In the comics that has certainly never been a talking point as T'Challa is opposed to imperialism in all forms.

I don't understand your point. Wakanda's internal policies are irrelevant to the question of whether they have protectorates or would even want them. A protectorate is a country controlled by another, in Hickman's case economically. That was never discussed by T'Challa or anyone else in the ruling family during the BP film. The only people talking like that were Killmonger, who was killed, and W'Kabi, who was imprisoned. In the comics that has certainly never been a talking point as T'Challa is opposed to imperialism in all forms.
    I know what a protectorate is my country was under one for decades. And wakanda internal policies 100% have something to do with her international relations? Anyway this conversation has deviated from the original topic but I think there's a misunderstanding between us.

Astonishing Member

I know what a protectorate is my country was under one for decades. And wakanda internal policies 100% have something to do with her international relations? Anyway this conversation has deviated from the original topic but I think there's a misunderstanding between us.
    Yea I think I see what you're saying now. Agreed that aid programs and tech/social support to other countries are not the same as claiming protectorates. We don't know the exact nature of the relationship Wakanda has with those countries though so we'll see how much actual control they have and if that's the right word to use. I was speaking on how internal policies like the ones you mentioned don't determine their desire to have protectorates, not international relations as a whole. But agree to disagree, it is off-topic.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    How does that work?
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Same thing I thought wheb I read it. I'm ok when they do it with the other fictional african countries. But doing it with a real one is weird.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?