Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Storm and Wakanda..

Storm was really hurt imo in the x men comics when they connected her with Wakanda and Black Panther imo. Storm was amazing without those connections. But to me it seems like they felt just being a mutant was an insult so I guess they decided they had to make her something else as well!

That’s just my view. Did she really need this Wakanda and Black Panther stuff? I think it was a mistake. She’s a mutant.

Mighty Member

Maybe the individual character is a bit hurt because she's being swallowed up into this all new mythology but her and Tchalla is one of my favs. That being said they can do more with Storm as an individual I agree

Astonishing Member

T’Challa divorced her back in 2012. If the X-office can’t find a way to make her work nearly a decade since then I’d argue it comes down to the general incompetence/disinterest of their writers and not another franchise. Less popular and relevant characters have been rescued from bad writing but that’s because there was a clear passion and desire to make them work. Kitty is the best example. Hated during her Guardians days and X-Men Gold but a fan favorite on Marauders.

That said, I don’t think the marriage to Storm was bad but ultimately it damage to both their characters and I’m fine with them only interacting for the occasional hook up or when their teams work together. Anything else is completely unnecessary. BP is a solo franchise now and needs a love interest that the office has complete control over and Storm should be a leading X-Women with her own relationships among her franchise. They never needed to be together in the first place and should be separate now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Storm was really hurt imo in the x men comics when they connected her with Wakanda and Black Panther imo. Storm was amazing without those connections. But to me it seems like they felt just being a mutant was an insult so I guess they decided they had to make her something else as well!

That’s just my view. Did she really need this Wakanda and Black Panther stuff? I think it was a mistake. She’s a mutant.
    Need? No. But I do think when written well her connection to Africa and Wakanda thru T'challa benefits both characters.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No. And I don't know why they let Coates keep pushing it cuz the majority don't care.
    "Cable was right!"

I think it was awkwardly handled at first but I've grown to appreciate the connection Storm has to Wakanda.

That writers who write BP usually care about Storm is good. Instead of ignoring her like the X-franchise did for the last decade (outside of the terrible Inhuman leadership stint).

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I'm fine with X-characters establishing relationships with characters outside the x-books and becoming more prominent in the greater MU. My problem with the Storm BP relationship initially was that it came out of nowhere, and although they did retcon in some backstory to make it make sense, I would have appreciated a more natural build up. I don't mind her more recent appearances in BP because now they have that established history. It also gave Storm a place to be featured since she wasn't seeing much use in the x-books at the time.

It started clunky cause it was clearly a mandate to boost Black Panther, but I argue that it's much better handled now a days. Granted, the last Storm in Wakanda story I read was the Shuri book.

Well she's also a woman too, who happened to fall in love with and marry T'Challa. It's not a mistake, it just needed to be handled better than it was.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    No. And I don't know why they let Coates keep pushing it cuz the majority don't care.
    It was done to get Storm fans to buy that book. Which is why the jokes of it being a stealth Storm book were being made.

The problem with it (among other things) is it's one sided. It is not like Catwoman and Batman where both have books and can play coy with each other for years.

Storm was amazing without those connections.
    The issue is the X-Office did little to nothing with her.

For the last 20 years and lets all be HONEST what thing has she done of significance beyond background, shade tossed at Panther, BBF Emma or Jean or Kitty or den mother duty?

And I am being serious. Aside from New X-Men-I haven't read X-Men books so I leave to you guys to point it out.

The marriage was done with not everyone onboard. It's still a bad deal because you have two folks belonging to different brands.

As much as Storm fans would love to see her in Black Panther 2-that franchise has stuff to work out and Marvel still needs to figure out how to introduce the X-Men and the last thing Panther fans want is to see Wakanda chumped out for the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It was done to get Storm fans to buy that book. Which is why the jokes of it being a stealth Storm book were being made.

The problem with it (among other things) is it's one sided. It is not like Catwoman and Batman where both have books and can play coy with each other for years.

The issue is the X-Office did little to nothing with her.

For the last 20 years and lets all be HONEST what thing has she done of significance beyond background, shade tossed at Panther, BBF Emma or Jean or Kitty or den mother duty?

And I am being serious. Aside from New X-Men-I haven't read X-Men books so I leave to you guys to point it out.

The marriage was done with not everyone onboard. It's still a bad deal because you have two folks belonging to different brands.

As much as Storm fans would love to see her in Black Panther 2-that franchise has stuff to work out and Marvel still needs to figure out how to introduce the X-Men and the last thing Panther fans want is to see Wakanda chumped out for the X-Men.
    At the time it happened, Storm was being used in the X-Books. Claremont had her in his book and she had just formed the X.S.E. as a global mutant police force. It was a good book and she leading a team that had potential to affect the greater MU.

Then through editorial mandate she was then ripped from the X-Men was put in Black Panther book and under Avengers Editorial control. (I suspect whoever said it was to get her fans, like me, to buy that comic was right.) I remember reading that Reginald Hudlin, the Black Panther writer at the time, really wanted her in his book and the bride for the Black Panther and made it happen. While there was 0 build up to it and I was not and still am not a fan of it, the pairing of Storm and T'Challa was handled best at the beginning, particularly when written by the late Dwyane McDuffie in the Fantastic Four when Sue and Reed left the team after the 1st Civil War event and Storm and T'Challa replaced them.

Being under Avengers editorial control and not X-Men editorial control meant Storm had to miss critical events with the X-Men. There is no way it wouldn't have been Storm vs Cyclops in Schism if Storm was missing for all of the events leading up to it. It would have been more natural for her to have that conflict with Cyclops than Wolverine.

Since her return to X-Men control, however, you all are right. They've done little with her. While she led the Extraordinary X-Men, she didn't really have a voice. Somehow, the X-Men Writers and Editorial thought that it was reasonable for Storm to have the Mutant Haven in Hell (Limbo) because of a killer cloud. If only they knew somoene who could control the weather... That was just embarrassing really. And her stepping down after IvX was stupid and done only to push Kitty Pryde in X-Men Gold. This is the same woman who moved the X-Men to Australia as to strike at their enemies more freely. She is not afraid of war! Again, idiot writers and idiot editorial control...

Even since those blunders, she done very little, but things seem to be turning around. If I believe the interviews from the writers, their are big things on the horizons for Storm. Hopefully we'll see a return to her former glory.

I was a pretty big fan of them being together, back in the day. But the way they broke things off kinda soured me to T'Challa, as a character, for a long time (That whole "You know you're still my queen, right?" bullshit didn't help either XD).

I'm cool with them being together. But I'm cool with them staying apart too. Honestly, I liked her with Logan better.

Incredible Member

I've never been a fan o them together, He divorced her abruptly in the middle of AvX and Wakanda doesn't recognize Krakoa and she is part of Krakoa´s government. Get her back with Forge or Yukio.

I think storm and t'challa was one of those comic relationships that was never meant to go on for this long. Given how poorly t'challa treated her after AvsX, I'm glad coates went back and explored their relationship further and had t'challa apologise for treating her so atrociously. Coates had them heal together and narratively it makes sense because storm deserved an apology and its also not in her character to leave any relationship (romantic or platonic) on the mends for so long. They kept her pooping up in black panther and related titles to boost sales and as a storm fan I didn't mind the added exposure especially since it was around the time storm was being pushed aside in the x-books. Then came black panther success in the mcu which meant more black panther push in the comics and now its starting to get ridiculous. It's come to the point where each time africa or storm's roots are being mentioned it automatically means storm is going to be in wakanda and i'm starting to get annoyed.

Yes I understand that wakanda is marvel current most popular african and black setting/title/characters in the marvel universe, but given the character history it doesn't make sense for ororo to have such a deep connection to wakanda when she spent what? a year at most living there. Storm and her connection to wakanda is starting to trump her connection to kenya when that's her actually ethnicity and origin, the land of her ancestors and the heritage where she gets her white hair and godhood from. We don't even see storm mention egypt anymore, and that's the place she grew up in and spent the first 19 years of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I was a pretty big fan of them being together, back in the day. But the way they broke things off kinda soured me to T'Challa, as a character, for a long time (That whole "You know you're still my queen, right?" bullshit didn't help either XD).

I'm cool with them being together. But I'm cool with them staying apart too. Honestly, I liked her with Logan better.
    I think I also prefer her with logan because the two have decades of character buildup, history and them getting together was organic after years of "will they or will they not" while marvel surprised us with t'challa and storm and him ending thinks to abruptly and in a cruel way made me side eye him for years. But I will say that my favourite storm ship will have to be storm with either yuriko or betsy