Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How does that work?
    Think common wealth and the UK
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    The only person who mentioned anything about protectorates or empires in the first Black Panther movie was the villain who was killed by T'Challa at the end. When he made his speech to the UN he framed the discussion in terms of refugee programs and tech/social support. And at no point in any in-continuity story has Wakanda turned land that was inhabited into a protectorate or annexed colony, prior to Hickman at least. Whether Wakanda would do it or not (I don't think they would) is up for debate. I just wanted to clarify that the development you seem to have a problem with has absolutely nothing to do with the Black Panther books and is an invention of the X-office.
    It was mentioned in one of the recent X-books. Under the countries who approved and declined Krakoa.

So it's inherently bad when a country is a protectorate?
    Thinking about Canada and the United Kingdom
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I think storm and t'challa was one of those comic relationships that was never meant to go on for this long. Given how poorly t'challa treated her after AvsX, I'm glad coates went back and explored their relationship further and had t'challa apologise for treating her so atrociously. Coates had them heal together and narratively it makes sense because storm deserved an apology and its also not in her character to leave any relationship (romantic or platonic) on the mends for so long. They kept her pooping up in black panther and related titles to boost sales and as a storm fan I didn't mind the added exposure especially since it was around the time storm was being pushed aside in the x-books. Then came black panther success in the mcu which meant more black panther push in the comics and now its starting to get ridiculous. It's come to the point where each time africa or storm's roots are being mentioned it automatically means storm is going to be in wakanda and i'm starting to get annoyed.

Yes I understand that wakanda is marvel current most popular african and black setting/title/characters in the marvel universe, but given the character history it doesn't make sense for ororo to have such a deep connection to wakanda when she spent what? a year at most living there. Storm and her connection to wakanda is starting to trump her connection to kenya when that's her actually ethnicity and origin, the land of her ancestors and the heritage where she gets her white hair and godhood from. We don't even see storm mention egypt anymore, and that's the place she grew up in and spent the first 19 years of her life.
    Her connections to Kenya and Egypt were never truly developed. At this point her connections to Wakanda definitely Trump her connections to Egypt and Kenya. It’s because the Black Panther writers strongly developed the connections.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post

I feel like it's weird when you do it to countries that never had a good relationship with colonization like Kenya. Makes Wakanda seem a bit more paternalistic to take over other countries' affairs too.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Her connections to Kenya and Egypt were never truly developed. At this point her connections to Wakanda definitely Trump her connections to Egypt and Kenya. It’s because the Black Panther writers strongly developed the connections.
    Her connection to Kenya and Cairo is very shallow. There's a reason why people refer to it as "Storm's African" heritage rather than Kenyan. It was never developed in a specific nuanced way like Gambit's Cajun heritage or Northstar's Quebecois roots. It's been written in such a vague way that anyone can connect random African cultures to Storm that aren't even Kenyan and no one would blink.

I feel like they need to give Storm a specific tribe/ethnic group(Kenya has 47). And show more of her interactions outside of people just worshipping her. Why not even connect a significant Kenyan or Egyptian historical event to her like they did with Magneto and his Jewish heritage? Both countries have gone through significant changes during the 20th and 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    They made Kenya a protectorate of Wakanda.
    Last time I check the Goddess of the Desert was goddess of The entire continent . Just because after ten thousand years Wakanda can still spot a windrider and be like look its the "Hadari Yao".

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Canada was never in a protectorate nor where any of the commonwealth nations. Canada is a constitutional monarchy where technically the queen is ruler on top and has the final say in laws that get passed in parliament and can veto them but its more of a prestige position than having any actual power. A protectorate is more like the british in the middle east from 1914 to 1956 and exactly like france in morocco and cambodia which was called protectorate. The key difference between canada and morocco and cambodia is that canada has actual power to govern itself and its people aren't under subjugation while morocco and cambodia were subjugated by the french, treated as second class citizens and of course what little political power they had were all an illusion with their respective rulers being just for show.

Her connection to kenya and egypt have been developed throughout the years and most recently in her solo written by pak. Her connection to wakanda shouldn't trump her connection to egypt and definitely not kenya.

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Her connection to kenya and egypt have been developed throughout the years and most recently in her solo written by pak. Her connection to wakanda shouldn't trump her connection to egypt and definitely not kenya.
    They had 40+ years to work in this in the X-books. They should have taken some time to strengthen that connection.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    Last time I check the Goddess of the Desert was goddess of The entire continent . Just because after ten thousand years Wakanda can still spot a windrider and be like look its the "Hadari Yao".

"Goddess of the desert was goddess of the entire continent" that's... lol Marvel's making me suspend my belief. Whoever thought of making a continent wide deity lol.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Storm was really hurt imo in the x men comics when they connected her with Wakanda and Black Panther imo. Storm was amazing without those connections. But to me it seems like they felt just being a mutant was an insult so I guess they decided they had to make her something else as well!

That’s just my view. Did she really need this Wakanda and Black Panther stuff? I think it was a mistake. She’s a mutant.
    It could have been good but they wanted a queen and a BP one and that's mostly what it was, as you said, it was like the X-Men outcasts weren't good enough. But I heard that the writer didn't want Storm with anyone else. He worked for BET if I remember. BUT BP also sort of suffered in my eyes as he sort of became a sitcom husband. "Gotta go!"
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 09-23-2020 at 09:52 PM.

BANNED

Comic book characters should not get married when they don't age and their stories go on forever. What was the point in the end? its not like xmen readers started reading black panther comics?

The storm and black panther thing came out of nowhere. Marvel felt they wanted a black couple and that was it. it was ill planned and had no substance beyond the fact that both two characters were black.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Comic book characters should not get married when they don't age and their stories go on forever. What was the point in the end? its not like xmen readers started reading black panther comics?

The storm and black panther thing came out of nowhere. Marvel felt they wanted a black couple and that was it. it was ill planned and had no substance beyond the fact that both two characters were black.
    Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic marriage is the foundation of the Fantastic Four. Cyclops’s marriage to Marvel Girl became an important part of the X-Men due to their children.

Storm’s relationship with the Black Panther certainly gave her a supporting cast that she never had.

Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic marriage is the foundation of the Fantastic Four. Cyclops’s marriage to Marvel Girl became an important part of the X-Men due to their children.

Storm’s relationship with the Black Panther certainly gave her a supporting cast that she never had.

Cyclop got married and had a child with Madelyne first