Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What is the general consensus on Remender's X-run (Uncanny X-Force/Avengers)?

Got inspired by the recent post asking for a general consensus on Bendis's run. What does the community think about Remender's tenure among the X-line? I'm including Uncanny Avengers in this as well even though it was edited out of the Avengers Office, because it involves the X-men and featured story elements from his Uncanny X-Force run.

Full disclosure, I have read all of Remender's Marvel work except for his stint on Captain America (where, as I understand it, he uses Dr. Mindbubble, who was introduced in Uncanny X-Force). I have a lot of fondness for Remender's work, though I know at the time it polarized a lot of people. When he kicked off "The Dark Angel Saga," I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I thought he was a rare talent for being able to create such epic stories with a very small cast of characters. I also liked that he found ways to carry his long-term plots over into whatever series Marvel bounced him around to (threads from Uncanny X-Force carried over into Secret Avengers and Uncanny Avengers, etc.).

Since it's been a good long while since he graced us with his stories, I wonder what the fandom's perception of him is now, and if it's changed at all?
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Most people really like his Uncanny X-force (though I think it loses a lot of steam after Dark Angel Saga) and despise his Uncanny Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Most people really like his Uncanny X-force (though I think it loses a lot of steam after Dark Angel Saga) and despise his Uncanny Avengers.
    That sounds about right to me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Spectacular Member

I'm a pretty big fan.

Uncanny X-Force is an excellent series. Clearly the best X-Men related run of the 2010s until what's going on now. I reiterate, Uncanny X-Force is the best X-Men book of the 2010s (I understand Spurrior's Legion run has some superfans but I just haven't read it. It's on the list). The first half especially is as good as X-Men gets in my opinion.

I also think Uncanny Avengers is unfairly maligned. Yes, it ended...awfully. I mean D- crappola. But the middle of the run, the Avenge the Earth story, is actually fantastic. And a cool continuation of Uncanny X-Force.

So yeah, I'm a big big fan. Axis sucked yes, but the rest is pretty excellent.

I love his Uncanny X-Force, one of my favorite X-books of all time. Haven't read his Uncanny Avengers.

People love his run until The Dark Angel Saga (wich is considered his best story), opinions of the rest of his run are more mixed (some like it but think that is not as great, others hate it).

His Uncanny Avengers is not very well liked thougth.
    Last edited by TheCape; 10-05-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Uncanny X-Force is an excellent series. Clearly the best X-Men related run of the 2010s until what's going on now. I reiterate, Uncanny X-Force is the best X-Men book of the 2010s (I understand Spurrior's Legion run has some superfans but I just haven't read it. It's on the list). The first half especially is as good as X-Men gets in my opinion.
    I think I have to agree with this statement. I've always said Rick Remender was the love child of Kyle & Yost. Certainly no other X-writer between Second Coming and HoX/PoX has had such an epic, exciting output of stories.

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue22 View Post
    I love his Uncanny X-Force, one of my favorite X-books of all time. Haven't read his Uncanny Avengers.
    I agree....small cast, great art...the characters feel like themselves and have great interaction.

For Betsy fans, this is specially great because she got a lot of love and respect from him.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    His Uncanny Avengers is bot very well liked thougth.
    Well liked? By whom?

Well liked? By whom?
    I have a feeling the poster meant to say "not" very well liked.

I like and dislike Uncanny Avengers in equal measure. Hell, maybe part of my liking it is solely loyalty to Remender for entertaining me with his other runs. I certainly wasn't thrilled with the cast but I liked that he carried on his plot threads from Uncanny X-Force like Archangel's twin offspring and stuff with the Celestials.

My opinion hasn’t changed. His UNCANNY X-FORCE run is UNMATCHED!!!
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I'm a pretty big fan.

I also think Uncanny Avengers is unfairly maligned. Yes, it ended...awfully. I mean D- crappola. But the middle of the run, the Avenge the Earth story, is actually fantastic. And a cool continuation of Uncanny X-Force.

So yeah, I'm a big big fan. Axis sucked yes, but the rest is pretty excellent.
    The end of Uncanny Avengers in my opinion the issues written by Duggan was a modern masterpiece. The art, the story, the relationships. He did that. His run on that was a joy to read.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Well liked? By whom?
    I meant to say that it wasn't well liked, i haven't seen a lot of positive reviews about it, the kindest ones have mixed feelings about it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I loved Uncanny X-Force, the whole run. Uncanny Avengers I thought was pretty good as well but I’m in the minority on that. Axis wasn’t for me but it felt like he just had to do what editorial told him. It really didn’t read like any of his previous work at all.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

His Uncanny X-Force was really amazing at the time but I feel like it peeked with The Dark Angel Saga. His Uncanny Avengers run was...ok I got the impression that editorial had a lot more interference in his work X Force. His Apocalypse Twin arc was amazing but that's too was a dangling plot thread from his X-force run.

Although he did give Havok and Janet a daughter that both characters and Marvel have conveniently forgotten about.