Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DC just can't figure out what to do with _____ in the comics

Which character does it seem that DC just can't figure out what do do with in the comics? They tried different things, maybe even tossed them a solo title before, they just can't get it right.

Extraordinary Member

Donna Troy
    Hawkman

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Donna Troy
    Hawkman
    I've been enjoying Venditti's run on Hawkman, and I think (I think!) he's finally figured out a backstory for Carter we can get behind (for now)

Agreed on Donna Troy, man, what a mess. Maybe first off let's narrow her down to just one name.

Astonishing Member

Cyborg
    Jaime Reyes
    Nightwing

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Basically everyone with similar power set to their more popular/recognizable character but not having a different gender or significantly younger even if you have writers pitching a good concept because they can only think in terms of power and fighting.

Basically the Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Cyborg
    Jaime Reyes
    Nightwing
    Agreed on Cyborg and Jaime Reyes. I feel Cyborg being thrust into a "founding member" of the JL back in the New 52 has been a bit of a curse and a blessing. Now they're not sure how to use him. I think he's a really cool character with some emotional issues, and could fit into the JL title again.

I LOVE Blue Beetle with Jaime. I don't know what it is, I just think he's so cool. Love the suit, love his young attitude. He's like Peter Parker in tech suit to me sometimes.

Not sure I agree with Nightwing, such a long run with his own title doesn't really show that they don't know what to do with him. But I don't read it, so I might be way off.

Feel you could say this about anyone who isn't Batman, Harley Quinn, and Joker.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Agreed on Cyborg and Jaime Reyes. I feel Cyborg being thrust into a "founding member" of the JL back in the New 52 has been a bit of a curse and a blessing. Now they're not sure how to use him. I think he's a really cool character with some emotional issues, and could fit into the JL title again.

I LOVE Blue Beetle with Jaime. I don't know what it is, I just think he's so cool. Love the suit, love his young attitude. He's like Peter Parker in tech suit to me sometimes.

Not sure I agree with Nightwing, such a long run with his own title doesn't really show that they don't know what to do with him. But I don't read it, so I might be way off.
    Oh, they just let Nightwing do whatever. Even when the character lost his mind he still sells higher than Red Hood, Hawkman, and The Terrifics... I think. So it's a different standard than the others... we kinda want them to invest more in him. Just because he can bring money just simply by existing doesn't make it an enjoyable read, right?

Donna Troy aka Troia

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Basically everyone with similar power set to their more popular/recognizable character but not having a different gender or significantly younger even if you have writers pitching a good concept because they can only think in terms of power and fighting.

Basically the Fab Five
    and Bette Kane.

Astonishing Member

This could be a very long thread.

DC just can't figure out what to do with _____ in the comics:

their Golden Age characters
    their acquired characters
    their villainesses
    their heroines
    their supporting characters
    their fun characters
    their cartoon characters

(DC has a 100,000 ideas that have been left sitting on the shelf...in comic book limbo.)
    Last edited by scary harpy; 09-21-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Superheroes being married and in committed relationships.

Astonishing Member

Name a member of the Teen Titans at any point in history and you have your answer.

Donna Troy is an excellent answer.

Ever since the first Crisis, every time Wonder Woman (and Cassie Sandsmark after she came along) gets reimagined and Donna Troy gets the ass end of it.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 09-21-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Barring a bare handful of writers; Damian Wayne. Otherwise, he's either written badly out of character (see Bendis) or keeps redoing the same "violent kid to having redemption" arc over and over.

Jason Todd. Outside of Scott Lobdell and bit parts under Tom Taylor, writers are either stuck with the "Jason was always angry" BS that DC pushed after they killed him off (and victim blamed him), or make him into a meathead of sorts.

Donna Troy is probably at the top though. It doesn't help they keep changing her origin every couple of years too.