Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Tower of Babel was perfectly good concept, with some major hiccups.

The good parts

Batman’s thinking made sense. Some people think Batman having plans to take out the justice league is a bad plot point, I disagree. It not like major Superheroes haven’t gone rogue before, either by mode control or other reasons. It would be stupid for him not to have contingencies.

Also the keeping them secret also makes sense. A lot of them only work if Batman was somehow able to get the jump on certain heroes(Flash for example).

Bad parts
    The Wonder Woman plan makes no sense. Part of me think it was Waid’s way of throwing his hands in the air and admitting that their is no convincing way that Batman could take out Diana. She’s way stronger and faster then him. Her fighting skill on his level, and she doesn’t have any obvious exploitable weaknesses like Superman. In fact I think Wonderwoman is the League member most able to counter Batman.

Story's fine as far as JL stories go even if it feels like two stories crammed into one.

Main problem is writers and fanboys not realizing the whole point was that the story taking Batman's prep-time nonsense to it's logical conclusion would make him a pariah.

The Wonder Woman plan makes no sense. Part of me think it was Waid’s way of throwing his hands in the air and admitting that their is no convincing way that Batman could take out Diana. She’s way stronger and faster then him. Her fighting skill on his level, and she doesn’t have any obvious exploitable weaknesses like Superman. In fact I think Wonderwoman is the League member most able to counter Batman.
    His Green Lantern, Superman, and Martian Manhunter plans weren't very good either.

For Green Lantern his plan was "I can stop him if I can sneak up on him while he's asleep," which isn't really a good plan if he's already went rogue. The fact that he can't use his powers if he can't see never made a lot of sense either.

For Superman and Martian Manhunter, he actually made them more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    His Green Lantern, Superman, and Martian Manhunter plans weren't very good either.

For Green Lantern his plan was "I can stop him if I can sneak up on him while he's asleep," which isn't really a good plan if he's already went rogue. The fact that he can't use his powers if he can't see never made a lot of sense either.

How did he make them more dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How did he make them more dangerous?
    Martian manhunter was actually on fire and lashing out at everything around him in pain.
    Superman they specifically described as barely being able to restrain his power.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Green lantern still has to aim, and see where he going as far as I can tell.

Thing about Tower of Babel is, even though Batman's not wrong for coming up with contingency plans, the story acknowledges it's still kind of a dick move on his part.

The problem is subsequent stories that take its lead or are inspired by it go out of their way to make him indisputably right and the League should just shut up and know their place. Another symptom of the Bat-god.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I agree with this.

It is funny how Bruce's plan for Diana just sounds absurd and needlessly complicated compared to the other guys. Like Superman...some form of Kryptonite. Martian Manhunter...set him on fire. Flash...hit him with vibrating bullet he can't dodge.
    But Diana? Trap her in a mental VR simulation that makes her think she's fighting an opponent she can't beat, thus her competitive nature will make her overexert herself until she has a heart attack and dies.

I'm imagining Bruce conjuring up that plan on the eighth or ninth cup of coffee just before dawn and being like, "That's all I got!"
    I also like to imagine, since Batman's contingency plans have backfired two or three more times since then, he get particularly pissed and frustrated when he has to think of an all new one for Wonder Woman.