Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

I read the first issue last night and really enjoy it. I’ve already #2 but haven’t read it yet. Can’t wait!

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

Read #3 today, and it was the most heartbreaking by far.

So conspiracy theories really come true if enough people believe in it? I hope they can squeeze in some mind-bending discussion on how perception alters reality or whatever. I think this book is more than capable to handle that.

That ending though. I knew I should've seen it coming. But damn.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

#3--heartbreaking, yes, that's the word, alright. Maybe the hardest comic to read (emotionally) I can recall, certainly for many years, now. I will certainly be approaching next issue with a LOT of trepidation.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Man this is a scary book. Scarier than I thought it would be.
    #3 was great.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Man this is a scary book. Scarier than I thought it would be.
    #3 was great.
    The art does a fantastic job of unsettling the reader.

Read #1 when it came out and really dug it, but 2-4 piled up in my TBR pile with lots of other books. Finally got to them ad read 1-4 all in one sitting. Damn, this book is good. I cut my eyeteeth reading conspiracy flavored fiction with Eco's Foucalt's Pendulum and RAW & Shea's Illuminatus works back in the early 90s, so it's right in my wheelhouse, but still has something original to say and brings something different to the table in that genre of books. And Simmonds art is perfect for the tone and thematic underpinnings of the book.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

That tease about the Soviet counterpart has me dying to know more. The whole world Tynion has built here is opening up now.

Amazing Member

Really enjoying the ride. Story, art , pencils etc. Very rare for me that all three
    "When people show you who they are believe them."Maya Angelou

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Another great issue in Number 5. Really enjoying this so far - I always read it first the week it comes out.

Ultimate Member

Ouch! I'm behind. I just read Issue 4 yesterday...

I really enjoyed this latest issue (#6), which had a far more 'open' look to the artwork, and more of a tie-it-all-together narrative, in which we learned the how and (some of) the why of Lee Harvey Oswald's participation in the story, and how the time differential works/occurred that affects our perception(s) of reality/realities. I'm really glad this seems to be an on-going series (actually tiring of the 6-issue-and-done format so exceedingly prevalent these days) as there seems like a lot of ground to cover and a lot of possibilities yet to reveal.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Amazing Member

I know some people who take this whole"charlemagne never existed"thing very seriously, so I really loved to have that referenced.

The consensus here appears to be excellent and I am glad I picked up the first trade of which I've read the first issue's story. It does the basics of setting up style, main characters, theme quite well. The concept is one which seems to be rather limitless. I look forward to reading the rest of the trade under the same glorious weather conditions I did a couple of days ago.

I finally got through the remainder of the first trade and ... wow. There's a lot to the dialogue and I am positive I'm missing details in the art, but what I am able to get on a single first reading is this stuff is great and very philosophical in that there may be no easily defined good and bad sides. The question is, can I wait to trade wait or will I be cajoled into getting individual issues for expediency? In any case, a second run through of the first five issues is obviously required.

Now with issue 12, once again there's a drastic art-style change at the opening, once again reflecting a different time and situation, before mostly returning to the scary, 'old' DoT style and the (possibly) present. There's even a connection of past to present which gives an even stronger sense of how thoroughly this's put together, despite its almost aggressive disconnects here and there. I DO like this series! It keeps provoking me, and entertaining me, and leading me on, which is pretty much what I hope for in my 'serialized literature'--and this despite not particularly well-developed, or at least, not particularly much-revealed, characters, which is usually another main draw for me in most of my fiction. I'm just hoping there's enough audience for DoT that they continue on. Anyone else still with this? What do you think of it, now, eh?