Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The ideal version of Superman that people have was never the reality of the character in the actual period published. If it was, Superman would never have been embraced the way he was in the America of the '40s and '50s. The mainstream of that era was racist and any successful mainstream work in that era has an asterisk mark next to it for that reason.
    You know founding fathers are guilty of many of the things you accuse superman of. You do know that gandhi had racist and bigoted views on black People atleast when he was young. Right? Yet, they still have movies on gandhi. What they do is either show how wrong gandhi was and his change. Or don't really focus on that part. That doesn't mean we shove of everything these guys did or had to say. The declaration independence as far as i am concerned is one of the best written things out there.

I know there is no ideal version. If you want superman to be a part of racist war propaganda. I would oblige and tell you how the flawed the racism was. I wouldn't be against superman showing support to the american troops against Nazi's and imperial government that were massacring people in surrounding islands, china, korea... Etc. I would only show that his views on certain things or how he handled certain things were bad or flawed. Moreover, you do know one piece is for young boys as well. The author largely views his story like an imaginary tale or laugh tale as well. The thing is, people have leanings and sometimes authors chose to channel a particular leaning in a character or they channel themselves in the character. It's that simple. I am a manga guy and i read old literature. I do deal with dickens view of the hindus and still read his book. I know the problems with tintins origins and creators as well. So don't bring up that nonsense with me. As far as i am concerned siegel and shuster are just flawed but good enough voices of a bigone era. I see people as they are.It's the principles and ideals that matter.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-23-2020 at 11:44 PM.