Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

October 26th. 50 - Howling VI: The Freaks (1991). 51 - Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). 52 - Halloween (1978)

An English drifter with lycanthropy gets captured by a traveling carnival show run by a mysterious villain (Bruce Payne). If this had been around 85 minutes long it could have been a fun monster flick, but it dragged so much I dozed off and had to rewind. Still a better movie than Howlings 2 and 3, though. But 2 had Christopher Lee and some hilariously bad moments.

I watch Coppola's Dracula almost every year. Come for Gary Oldman and the production design, stay for Anthony Hopkins and the score. Forgive Keanu and Winona. The movie has a frenzied pace, if Francis Ford Coppola ever does a director's cut of this one I would definitely check it out. (Maybe they could ADR all Keanu's dialog while they're at it.)

Well crafted, and beautiful in its simplicity, its the classic slasher for good reason. Fun fact, Christopher Lee turned down the role of Dr. Loomis and later regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post

26a. Vampire in Brooklyn (1995)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_in_Brooklyn
    HBO Max

I rewatch this movie every couple of years just to confirm that it still doesn't quite work.
    I'm the same way with this and The Golden Child.

Also, seriously, what the hell was with the 90s and plots about slasher villains having to chase heretofore unknown blood-relations in order to complete some kind of prophecy and/or spell?
    I hadn't thought about it but you're right. Michael Myers, Freddy Kreuger, and Jason Voorhees all did that. Scream 3 too, but with no magic involved. Did Chucky do this too?
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2022 at 11:37 AM.