Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 31 Nights (& Days) of Halloween: 2020!

Movie theaters might be barren, but the cinematic horrors can be inside your house.

Here are the rules, if you disobey them, no one knows what might happen.

1. The Number of the Beast is 31: The goal, as always, is view at least 31 films between October 1 and October 31. Few make it all the way to31 on their first year, but all are encouraged to try. to add their names to the elite Brethren of the Night. While a film per day is encouraged, double and triple-billing (or more) is perfectly acceptable and often necessary.

2. Medium Be Damned: The movies shall not be just theatrical, obviously. OriginalTV, Cable, DVD/VHS and Streaming movies shall be legal tender as well. So view to your black heart's content, even on your phone, yea accursed Millennials.

3. Leave A Trail: Please provide a link or description for all the films you view. This will allow the others the chance to add to their watchlists for later or just to compare progress. Feel free to also add poster art and/or trailers as well to add color to your post. And of course your own thoughts on film would be nice to hear...before the end.

4. Simpsons Can't Do It: Halloween-themed episodes of a regular series don't count. Nor do episodes of supernatural-themed shows like Buffy, Supernatural, American Horror Story. short-form special like the Charlie Brown Halloween may count has half a movie. If you plan on binging through an entire season of something, that's worth noting but you should count it separately if at all, along with any other series episodes you might want to talk about.

5. Definitions Aren't Strict: It doesn't have to be an actual 'horror movie', per say. Comedies and action flicks with macabre themes are perfectly acceptable; Scary Movie, Underworld, etc...

Still more than a week to prepare in the meantime, you can check out last year's endeavor.
    Last edited by Jared; 09-21-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Fantastic Member

Been looking forward to this since about mid August, picked up a few more horror movies on blu-ray and dvd early this year that I haven't even watched yet.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Talking

YES, YES, YES, I have been Waiting, Planning and Greatly Looking forward to this Yearly Challenge!

Thank You as always for keeping this alive Jared, Looking Forward to My Movies and the Theme I will be going for this Year!

I have completed the challenge the last 3 years for I am Hoping for 4th Time around, Looking forward to eveyones Lists.

The Video below was my theme from 2019 that inspired me so lets get this year of Halloween going!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

So, my wife for the first time has decided to do this with me and in an effort to make this into more of checklist (which is her favorite thing), I found a Horror Challenge with different categories of movie to watch. I did end up changing up some of the categories to be able to include softer movies for her. I'm really excited to get going with the first one which will be Ready or Not from last year. We're also going to be having two horror movie marathons with a couple of friends (going from one to two so we can split up the group due to COVID). We're still going to be hitting the categories, but we will watch other things outside of the category.

Still trying to iron out some of the selections. I'd love recommendations of a good cult classic, if you've got one.

1. A Horror with a Strong Female Lead
    2. A “So Bad, It’s Good” Horror
    3. A Cult Classic
    4. A Remake of a Horror Classic
    5. A Black and White Horror
    6. A Horror Sequel
    7. A Holiday Themed Horror
    8. A Horror Comedy
    9. A Horror Movie from the 60s
    10. A Horror Movie from the 70s
    11. A Horror Movie from the 80s
    12. A Horror Movie from the 90s
    13. A Horror Movie from the 00s
    14. A Horror Movie from the 10s
    15. A Horror Movie Inspired by a True Story
    16. A Sci-Fi Horror
    17. An Indie Horror
    18. An Action Horror Movie
    19. A Horror Inspired by a Stephen King Work
    20. An Oscar Winning Horror
    21. A Found Footage Horror
    22. A Supernatural Horror
    23. A Vampire Horror
    24. A Slasher Horror
    25. A Witchcraft Horror
    26. A Family Horror Movie
    27. A Horror/Thriller
    28. A Foreign Language Horror
    29. A Horror with Children Characters
    30. An Anthology Horror
    31. Your Favorite Horror Movie
    Last edited by C_Miller; 09-27-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post

1. A Horror with a Strong Female Lead
    - You're Next. Alien. Underwater.

2. A “So Bad, It’s Good” Horror

- Plan 9 From Outer Space. The Happening. Maximum Overdrive.The Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf. Manos: The Hands of Fate.

3. A Cult Classic

- (Whoa, that's really broad). The Evil Dead? The Thing? The Shining? Vampire Hunter D?

4. A Remake of a Horror Classic

- Dawn of the Dead (2004). The Blob (1988). Nosferatu the Vampyre.

5. A Black and White Horror

- Night of the Loving Dead. Nosferatu: A Symphony of Terror. Curse of the Demon. The House on Haunted Hill. Black Sunday. Dracula's Daughter. Psycho.

6. A Horror Sequel

- Aliens. Friday the 13th part VI: Jason Lives. Halloween (2018). The Bride of Frankenstein. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn

7. A Holiday Themed Horror

- Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. Black Christmas.

8. A Horror Comedy

- Ghostbusters (original). Tremors. Army of Darkness. Gremlins.

9. A Horror Movie from the 60s

- Rosemary's Baby. The Haunted Palace.

10. A Horror Movie from the 70s

- Jaws. Halloween. The Omen. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

11. A Horror Movie from the 80s

- Poltergeist. A Nightmare on Elm Street. Hellraiser.

12. A Horror Movie from the 90s

- Scream. Event Horizon. The 6th Sense.

13. A Horror Movie from the 00s

- Trick r' Treat. 28 Days Later. The Descent. Ginger Snaps.

14. A Horror Movie from the 10s

- It Follows. Get Out. A Quiet Place.

15. A Horror Movie Inspired by a True Story

- Jack The Ripper (1988). From Hell. The Ghost and the Darkness. Zodiac. The Conjuring (allegedly).

16. A Sci-Fi Horror

- Event Horizon. Alien. The Lawnmower Man. Forbidden Planet. Life Force. Death Machine.

17. An Indie Horror

- The Witch (2015). The Void. The Lighthouse.

18. An Action Horror Movie

- Predator. Aliens. The Terminator. Dog Soldiers. Blade. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires.

19. A Horror Inspired by a Stephen King Work

- The Shining. Carrie. Needful Things. Misery. Silver Bullet. It Chapter One. 1408. Maximum Overdrive.

20. An Oscar Winning Horror

- The Silence of the Lambs

21. A Found Footage Horror

- Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story. The Blair Witch Project. Troll Hunter.

22. A Supernatural Horror

- Final Destination. A Nightmare on Elm Street. Phantasm. Hellraiser. The Haunted Palace. Poltergeist. Drag Me to Hell. (but wow that's broad and vague category)

23. A Vampire Horror

- Near Dark. Bram Stoker's Dracula. Interview with the Vampire. Black Sunday. The Horror of Dracula. The Lost Boys.

24. A Slasher Horror

Halloween. Black Christmas. Friday the 13th. Scream. Hatchet.

25. A Witchcraft Horror

- Susperia. Warlock.

26. A Family Horror Movie

- you mean like The Hills Have Eyes? No, probably not. The Monster Squad. Gremlins. Krampus. Hocus Pocus

27. A Horror/Thriller

- hard to define. Get Out? Psycho? The Dead Zone?

28. A Foreign Language Horror

- Let The Right One In. REC. Godzilla (Gojira, the original)

29. A Horror with Children Characters

- It: Chapter One. The Gate. Silver Bullet. The Lost Boys. The Monster Squad.

30. An Anthology Horror

- V/H/S. Creepshow. The House That Dripped Blood. Dr. Terror's House of Horrors. Tales of Halloween.

31. Your Favorite Horror Movie

- The Thing (1982)
    Last edited by Jared; 09-24-2023 at 04:46 PM.

Today is the day!

1. Pet Sematary. (2019) Never saw the remake, or the new IT so I thought I'd start with those. As always, I will not get to 31 movies, but I will do watch what I can.

Incredible Member

October 1st - 1.The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920). 2. Howl (2015).

'Caligari is considered one of the very first horror films. I think Murnau's Nosferatu is better. Neither the story nor the threat is as interesting here. I had trouble keeping some of the characters straight. This is something that should be remade by Tim Burton, with Danny DeVito as Caligari.

Howl is about a late night train stuck in the woods and menaced by werewolves. Pretty straightforward. Decently made, but nothing special. It's no Dog Soldiers. But it's a full moon tonight and this is one I haven't seen.

grrrrr. I forgot it was a full moon or I would have watched something else.

Anyway, should have watched something else as Pet Sematary was not great.

Fantastic Member

Off to a good start today, watched the following...

1. Pyewacket (2017) An ok, lower budget indie film, incorporating themes of witchcraft/black magic/ demon summoning into what is otherwise a family drama. Not much in the way of screen time for the monster, or sfx, but there are a handful of creepy scenes.

2. Hagazussa (2017) Not nearly as slow as a lot of people claim, though The VVitch is action packed in comparison, so make of that what you will. Not necessarily a horror film in the traditional sense, but it does go to a disturbing place in the final act which can be considered horrific.

3. The Autopsy Of Jane Doe (2016) Yet another movie with an underlying witchy theme, which is usually how I start out the month. Just going to rip the quick Wikipedia description "father and son coroners who experience supernatural phenomena while examining the body of an unidentified woman". The "corpse" is truly the star of the film.

4. Hereditary (2018) Not much I can say about this film that hasn't already been said repeatedly, apparently people either love it or hate it, I certainly enjoyed it, and again, not a horror movie in the traditional sense.

A pretty light start to this season (or at least to this list...for obvious reasons, I started my horror movie binging way early this year).

1. Body Bags (1993)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Bags_(film)
    Available on Amazon Prime, Shudder, and for free on Shout Factory TV

Showtime's potential answer to HBO's Tales From the Crypt series was nixed and turned into an anthology movie instead. And like most horror anthologies, it's fine. Though it lacks the real notable twist or scare that the better anthologies become fondly remembered for. John Carpenter is fun as the creepy, formaldehyde-drinking coroner who introduces the three segments, and the movie is packed with cameos.

And some recommendations for C_Miller:

2. A “So Bad, It’s Good” Horror - The Terror (1963) (It's public domain, so you can find it on Youtube)
    3. A Cult Classic - House on Haunted Hill (1959) (Same)
    4. A Remake of a Horror Classic - Horror of Dracula (1958) / Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
    5. A Black and White Horror - The Body Snatcher (1945)
    6. A Horror Sequel - Bride of Frankenstein (1935) / Son of Frankenstein (1939)
    7. A Holiday Themed Horror - Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2 (1987) (also a "so bad it's good")
    8. A Horror Comedy - Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    9. A Horror Movie from the 60s - The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
    10. A Horror Movie from the 70s - Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    11. A Horror Movie from the 80s - The Howling (1981) / Day of the Dead (1985)
    12. A Horror Movie from the 90s - Interview With the Vampire (1994)
    13. A Horror Movie from the 00s - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
    14. A Horror Movie from the 10s - It Follows (2014)
    15. A Horror Movie Inspired by a True Story - The Conjuring (2013)
    16. A Sci-Fi Horror - Re-Animator (1985) / The Invisible Man (1933)
    17. An Indie Horror - Q: The Winged Serpent (1982)
    18. An Action Horror Movie - From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
    19. A Horror Inspired by a Stephen King Work - Silver Bullet (1985)
    20. An Oscar Winning Horror - The Exorcist (1973)
    21. A Found Footage Horror - Trollhunter (2010)
    22. A Supernatural Horror - The Shining (1980) / In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
    23. A Vampire Horror - Fright Night (1985)
    24. A Slasher Horror - Halloween (1978)
    25. A Witchcraft Horror - Suspiria (2018)
    26. A Family Horror Movie - Poltergeist (1982)
    27. A Horror/Thriller - Manhunter (1986)
    28. A Foreign Language Horror - One Cut of the Dead (2017)
    29. A Horror with Children Characters - Monster Squad (1987)
    30. An Anthology Horror - Tales From the Crypt (1972)
    31. Your Favorite Horror Movie - The Old, Dark House (1932)
    Last edited by Sean Whitmore; 10-02-2020 at 03:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

31 Nights (& Days) of Halloween: 2020!

10/1 - Bride of Chucky (1998)
    10/2 - Halloween (1978)
    10/3 - Amityville Horror (2005)
    10/4 - The Exorcist (1973)
    10/5 - The Shining (1980)
    10/6 - Wrong Turn (2003)
    10/7 - A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    10/8 - Sinister (2012) Man, do I love this film. So creepy!!!!
    10/9 - It Follows (2014)
    10/10 - Final Destination (2000)
    10/11 - It (1990)
    10/12 - The Purge (2013)
    10/13 - Hocus Pocus (1993)
    10/14 - Trick r Treat (2007)
    10/15 - The Conjuring (2013)
    10/16 - Friday the 13th (1980)
    10/17 - Friday the 13th II (1981)
    10/18 - Cloverfield (2008)
    10/19 - Finders Keepers (2014)
    10/20 - Psycho (1960)
    10/21 - The Blair Witch Project (1999)
    10/22 - House of Wax (2005)
    10/23 - The Birds (1963)
    10/24 - It - Chapter 1 (2017)
    10/25 - Scream (1996)
    10/26 - The Ring (2002)
    10/27 - Truth Or Dare (2018)
    10/28 - Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    10/29 - Pet Sematary (1989)
    10/30 - Paranormal Activity (2007)
    Last edited by caj; 11-01-2020 at 06:35 AM.

Incredible Member

October 1st - 3. Wolfcop (2014)

Canadian horror comedy. Alcoholic deputy gets turned into a werewolf by occultists. Some good scenes but it doesn't all
    hang together. It should have followed more of Robocop's structure.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-17-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Fantastic Member

Only got 2 movies in today, and it ended up being a Roman Polanski double feature...

5. The Ninth Gate (1999) It's about books, and satanism, and stars Johnny Depp. Definitely not for everyone, but I enjoy the even, methodical pacing and approach to the subject matter, it's become a favorite I look forward to every Halloween season.

6. Rosemary's Baby (1968) A bona fide classic, but not one I really appreciated until more recently.

1. Body Bags (1993)
    2. The Hitcher (1986)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitcher_(1986_film)
    Available on HBO Max

Another one I've not seen before, and it was pretty good. Very light on story, but big on mood. Rutger Hauer is very creepy and understated as the hitchhiking serial killer. When our protagonist escapes him in the beginning of the film, Hauer chases him across the desert; not to kill him, just to screw with him, like a demented Bug Bunny cartoon.