Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I just found this thread, what a great idea!

I'll post what I've seen so far, most of it broadcast on cable TV, watched while working from home. I'm not adding links for most of these, as they're pretty well known, so I'm assuming that most (if not all) of the posters here have seen them already.

The last one I watched, I will give a description and link.

01. Friday the 13th (1980)
    02. Friday the 13th Part II
    03. Friday the 13th Part III
    04. Friday the 13th Part IV (The Final Chapter)
    05. Friday the 13th Part V (A New Begining)
    06. Friday the 13th Part VI (Jason Lives)
    07. Amityville Horror (1979)
    08. The Conjuring
    09. Insidious
    10. The Exorcist
    11. The Shining
    12. The Crazies (2010)

13. Trick R Treat - Trick 'r Treat is a 2007 American anthology horror film written and directed by Michael Dougherty and produced by Bryan Singer. The film stars Dylan Baker, Rochelle Aytes, Anna Paquin and Brian Cox. It relates four Halloween horror stories with a common element in them, Sam; a mysterious child trick-or-treater wearing shabby orange footie pajamas with a burlap sack over his head. The character makes an appearance in each of the stories whenever a character breaks Halloween traditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_%27r_Treat

1. Body Bags (1993)
    2. The Hitcher (1986)
    3a. Child's Play (2019)
    3b. The Haunted Palace (1963)
    4a. Cult of Chucky (2017)
    4b. Night of the Demons (1988)
    4c. The Gate II (1990)
    5. Vampires vs The Bronx (2020)
    6a. Ghost Ship (2002)
    6b. The Guest (2014)
    7. The Fly (1958)
    8. Village of the Damned (1960)
    9a. Children of the Damned (1964)
    9b. Hand of Death (1962)
    9c. Friday the 13th (1980)

10. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Ame...wolf_in_London

I was pretty tired today, so I just stuck with an old favorite. Nothing I can add that hasn't been said to death, other than that for my money, the effects absolutely hold up.

For the most part,yeah, the absolutely do!

I think I'll put that on my list. Been quite a while since I've seen it.

Incredible Member

October 10th. 19 - The Monster Squad (1987). 20 - The Black Water Vampire (2014).

The unlicensed Goonies vs the off-brand Universal Monsters. I don't know if this movie works for anyone who doesn't have childhood nostalgia for it, but it works for me.
    Is this the first time in live action that the Mummy and the Creature from the Black Lagoon actually got to hang with the big 3 of Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein? Stan Winston's shop has a rare miss in their Wolfman design, but everything else looks good.

From the people who saw The Blair Witch project comes...pretty much the same thing, but with more of a budget and not as good. I guess the cast and crew deserve some credit for actually filming outside in the snow. Those must have been long days. Deduct points from the creative team for ripping off the Freddy Krueger nursery rhyme, but doing it so badly they use "3" twice.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2020 at 05:01 PM.

08. The Conjuring
    09. Insidious
    10. The Exorcist
    11. The Shining
    12. The Crazies (2010)

13. Trick R Treat - Trick 'r Treat is a 2007 American anthology horror film written and directed by Michael Dougherty and produced by Bryan Singer. The film stars Dylan Baker, Rochelle Aytes, Anna Paquin and Brian Cox. It relates four Halloween horror stories with a common element in them, Sam; a mysterious child trick-or-treater wearing shabby orange footie pajamas with a burlap sack over his head. The character makes an appearance in each of the stories whenever a character breaks Halloween traditions.

14. Ghost Ship (2002) In 1962, aboard the ocean liner SS Antonia Graza, passengers dance to the song "Senza Fine" sung by Francesca, a lounge singer. A young girl, Katie, sits alone until the ship's captain offers to dance with her. A hand presses a lever that unravels a thin wire cord from a spool. The spool snaps and the wire whips across the dance floor, bisecting the passengers and crew. Katie is spared due to her height.

Forty years later, a salvage crew — Captain Sean Murphy, Maureen Epps, Greer, Dodge, Munder, and Santos — celebrate their recent success. Jack Ferriman, a weather service pilot, approaches them saying he spotted a vessel adrift in the Bering Sea. Because the ship is in international waters, it can be claimed by whoever brings it to port. The crew sets out on the Arctic Warrior, an ocean salvage tugboat. The ship is the Antonia Graza, which went missing decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Ship_(2002_film)

15. 13 Ghosts (2001) Ghost hunter Cyrus Kriticos and his psychic assistant Dennis Rafkin lead a team on a mission to capture a spirit called the Juggernaut. Several men, including Cyrus, are killed while the team is able to catch the ghost. Cyrus's nephew Arthur, a widower, is informed by Cyrus's estate lawyer, Ben Moss, that he has inherited Cyrus' mansion. Financially insecure, Arthur decides to move there with his two children, Kathy and Bobby, and their nanny, Maggie.

Dennis meets the family as they tour the mansion. The residence is made entirely of glass sheets inscribed with Latin phrases, which Dennis recognizes as barrier spells. He discovers that the twelve angry ghosts he and Cyrus captured are imprisoned in the house, held captive by the spells. As he warns Arthur, Moss unwittingly triggers a mechanism that seals the house and releases the ghosts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Ghosts

Incredible Member

October 11. 21 - Transylvania 6-5000 (1985). 22 - BloodRayne. (2005). 23 - BloodRayne 2: Deliverance (2007).

I hadn't heard of 6-5000 before, which surprised me considering the cast. Jeff Goldblum, Ed Beagley Jr., Michael Richards, Carol Kane, Geena Davis, and several more character actors I recognize but can't name offhand.
    Goldblum and Beagley play reporters from a tabloid who are sent to a town in Transylvania (which is maybe all of Transylvania?) to investigate a Frankenstein sighting. They meet a bunch of eccentric and zany characters as they stay at a small castle, and maybe something strange is going on, although Goldblum is more interested in trying to woo a comely single mom. Everyone plays their roles very big, even cartoony. A lot of it seems ad libbed and I noticed Goldlum breaking more than once. Because it's an 80s movie, it has its own theme song, but it's no Ghostbusters, Goonies, or even Monster Squad.

At a glance, BloodRayne might look like a real movie. It has recognizable actors in sets that are pretty good. The costumes are servicable. But then you notice the awful ADR, the frequently inept editing, inexplicable writing, and some ridiculous wigs, actors who look outright bored and sometimes possibly drunk. Even so, it's not the worst video game movie or the worst Uwe Boll movie.

Kristanna Loken plays Rayne, half human half vampire, all their strengths none of their weaknessnes...
    She has to fight her vampire father and stop him from getting artifacts of ultimate power. So yeah, she's Blade as a hot chick, and it's medieval times instead of modern day. The setting actually makes it like a distant prequel to the first game which was WW2.
    Vampires in this are hurt by ordinary water, which seems odd to me. Meatloaf is credited as "Meatloaf Aday" which seems even odder. Either use your stage name or your real name, don't combine them like that. I wonder if Billy Zane was on set for more than a day.

Bloodrayne 2 has Norwegian actress Natassia Maltese take over the role, and moves to a Wild West setting. This still isn't a good movie by any means, but it actually manages to be an almost competently made B-movie. The pacing doesn't work in the back half. Boll tries to ape Spaghetti Western tropes and archetypes but isn't skilled enough to pull it off. Michael Pare has a supporting role after one scene as a different character in the first movie.
    I guess it's better than Billy The Kid vs Dracula.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-26-2021 at 07:48 PM.

I am currently at 12!

I'm doing the challenge that I posted here earlier and I've watched a couple movies outside of it. We did have to change up some of the days we did certain categories to best fit our needs and we've had to double up a couple of times. While I have watched some type of horror everyday, I don't always have the opportunity with my wife who I am doing the challenge with.

1. A Horror Movie with a Strong Female Lead: READY OR NOT (2019)

We kicked it off with a slightly lighter movie. I saw this one when it came out and really enjoyed it. A super fun, spooky movie. I love the vibe that it achieves between the house and the old school sensibilities. Not really a horror, but I think it works here. This movie can be found on HBO Max.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_or_Not_(2019_film)

2. 1st Bonus Movie: SPIRAL (2019)

This is a film that came out this year and it's about a gay couple who move to a small town with the teenage daughter of one of the men. One of them starts to pick up on some strange stuff and begins to investigate. It's not bad by any means, but it's kind of haphazardly cobbled together. It kind of works as a thriller, but it's not a great cult movie. This can be found on Shudder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_(2019_film)

3. A Cult Classic: RE-ANIMATOR (1985)

This is not really my kind of movie, but I did have a lot of fun with it. I guess this kind of falls in line with the supernatural stuff, which is what I tend to gravitate towards, but it was a little too 80s, low budget and crude for me. I adored Jeffrey Combs in it, which is really why I wanted to watch it in the first place, so it all works out. This can be found on Shudder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Re-Animator

4. A "So Bad, It's Good" Movie - MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE (1966)

We were originally going to rent Troll 2, but we didn't want to rent a movie that we knew would be bad, so we streamed this on Amazon. And Jesus Christ is this bad. I think I turned to my wife after we watched it and said this movie is just... wrong. Not wrong offensive, but all of the filmmaking is just objectively incorrect. It was kind of fun though, but I think it's probably best enjoyed with a crowd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manos:_The_Hands_of_Fate

5. A Remake of a Horror Classic - THE RING (2002)

The second one of the month which is a rewatch and it holds up pretty well. Surprisingly scary for a PG-13 horror that's brought to you by the guy best known for the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Making the whole film an ode to investigative journalism is a nice touch and strikes a nice balance between story and puzzle box. It's too bad that every character in the movie is paper thin. We rented this film, but I believe it's available on IMDB's streaming service with ads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ring_(2002_film)

6. A Horror Comedy: WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014)

This was positively delightful. Taika is one of my favorite people in the industry right now and I was so happy I had the opportunity to watch this. It's hilarious, yet still has a few creepy moments scattered throughout. It also allows itself to become heartwarming at parts. Arguably a perfect comedy and also the perfect movie for both people who love and don't care for vampires. This can be found on Kanopy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_We_Do_in_the_Shadows

7. A Black and White Horror - PSYCHO (1960)

What more needs to be said about this one? It's a classic that still holds up. The performances, the music, the use of shadow all contribute to one of the great horror movies of all time. I will say, the more times I watch it, the less patience I have for the Psychiatrist at the end who is there to tell people the plot of the movie. It's unnecessary and robs the film a little bit of the impact that it could have had. I don't know if this is streaming anywhere. I watched it on Blu-ray.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psycho_(1960_film)

Second post will come tomorrow!

Fantastic Member

26. Midsommar (2019) Ari Aster follow up to Hereditary. (from the wikipedia page) "It follows a group of friends who travel to Sweden for a festival that occurs once every 90 years, only to find themselves in the clutches of a pagan cult." I recall it often being compared to The Wicker Man, and there are some similarities. One friend of mine, who is a pagan, griped about its lack of authenticity in depicting midsummer celebrations, which I chalked up to being a fictitious cult in a movie.

27. House Of 1000 Corpses (2003)
    28. The Devil's Rejects (2005)
    29. 31 (2016)

Rob Zombie doing what Rob Zombie knows best... crude, trashy, and bloody 70s style exploitation cinema with his wife in a starring role, which can be fun in small doses, but gets a bit tiresome beyond about 2 movies in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    October 11. 21 - Transylvania 6-5000 (1985).
    Honestly, I'm surprised to see this got a blu-ray release.

1. Body Bags (1993)
    2. The Hitcher (1986)
    3a. Child's Play (2019)
    3b. The Haunted Palace (1963)
    4a. Cult of Chucky (2017)
    4b. Night of the Demons (1988)
    4c. The Gate II (1990)
    5. Vampires vs The Bronx (2020)
    6a. Ghost Ship (2002)
    6b. The Guest (2014)
    7. The Fly (1958)
    8. Village of the Damned (1960)
    9a. Children of the Damned (1964)
    9b. Hand of Death (1962)
    9c. Friday the 13th (1980)
    10. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

11a. Ice Cream Man (1995)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cream_Man_(film)

The most surprising thing about this movie is that, completely by coincidence, it's the third one I've seen this month with David Naughton in it.

Other than that, it's exactly what you'd expect from a direct-to-video slasher starring Ron Howard's weird-looking brother about a killer ice cream man who feeds people body parts. Most of it is terrible, with a bit of genuinely enjoyable camp from Howard that elevates it to "cult" status from "completely unknown" status. My favorite bit is when the titular ice cream man--who is able to get the drop on his victims like a ninja for no apparent reason--mounts a couple of severed heads onto ice-cream scoops and manipulates their mouths like puppets.

11b. Child's Play (1988)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child%...ay_(1988_film)

Long before I ever considered myself a fan of horror movies, this was the one franchise I was into. Partly, because my parents wouldn't let me watch the Freddy and Jason movies but had no problem with these for some reason. And partly because of Chucky, who to this day I still find a funnier slasher than Freddy.

With Hurricane Delta I haven't been really able to post but with my phone was able to watch a few more

1. The Curse of Buckout Road (2017) on Tubi
    2. Winchester (2018) on Netflix
    3. The Curse of La Lorena (2019) on HBO MAX
    4. Doctor Sleep (2019) on HBO Max
    5. The Frighteners (1996) on HBO MAX
    6. You're Next (2013) on Peacock
    7. I Spit On Your Grave (2010) on Amazon Prime
    8. Halloween (1978) on AMC
    9. Halloween II (1981) on Vudu
    10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) on AMC
    11. Fright Night (1985) on Amazon Prime

Quote: Evil Ed: The master will kill you for this! But not fast. Slowly! Oh, so slowly!
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Over the weekend I watched Screaming Skull and Countess Dracula.

Screaming Skull - Saw this one way back when I was a lad and thought I'd watch it again, see if it held up. It did. Its a B&W 1950s "B" horror film that has always been one of my favorites. Its got a kind of "Night Gallery" feel to it with some genuinely creepy scenes, great use of sets and a finale that never fails to get me.

Countess Dracula - Ok I admit, Ingrid Pitt made me watch this one. Its pretty bad, overall. Horrible in fact! But hey Ingrid Pitt.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool

1.) Nosferatu (1922)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    2.) The Phantom of the Opera (1925)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    3.) Dracula (1931)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    4.) Frankenstein (1931)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    5.) The Mummy (1932)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    6.) The Invisible Man (1933)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    7.) Bride of Frankenstein (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    8.) Werewolf of London (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    9.) Dracula's Daughter (1936)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

10.) Son of Frankenstein (1939)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031951/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is another Sequal that was FAR Better then I though going in! Basil Rathbone as the Son of Frankenstein, Bela Lugosi as Ygor and Lionel Atwill as Inspector Krogh where all Brilliantly acted and they added Great Tension to the story. You also see alot of plot points and character elements taken from this that would be put into Mel Brooks classic Young Frankenstein which was great to get to realize.

Also I would not be suprised with how allot of the set designs of the rooms of the Castle did not inpire Tim Burton in his early days either!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Cool

11.) Mark of the Vampire (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026685/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

This is another unexpectly good movie, the acting is pretty good espically by the 2nd and 3rd act. The 1st act is kind of slow but then gets much better as the Vampires get going. The Highlight for Me in this movie is both the TWISTED ending and the creep sound effect nearly anytime them Vampires are on Screen, Amazing Job cause it really did at times get me creeped out. Also the use of live animals and bugs where really well done as per-example in the Video below, Watch it!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Smile

11.) Mark of the Vampire (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

12.) The Mummy's Hand (1940)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032818/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

This movie to me is when these movies started adding somemore comedy to their Films alike the Abbott and Costello style route's we get later. I really enjoyed it cause I always like that style of comedy and it works well with this cast making it enjoyable and makes your worry more about their safety. Also this is the 1st classic Mummy Movie, likely the earliest one, that I have seen in which the mummy is fully wrapped like the classic look in bandages and moves slowly.

And enjoyable and likeable move that is a kind of but not fully sequal of the 1st.

08. The Conjuring
    09. Insidious
    10. The Exorcist
    11. The Shining
    12. The Crazies (2010)

14. Ghost Ship (2002) In 1962, aboard the ocean liner SS Antonia Graza, passengers dance to the song "Senza Fine" sung by Francesca, a lounge singer. A young girl, Katie, sits alone until the ship's captain offers to dance with her. A hand presses a lever that unravels a thin wire cord from a spool. The spool snaps and the wire whips across the dance floor, bisecting the passengers and crew. Katie is spared due to her height.

Forty years later, a salvage crew — Captain Sean Murphy, Maureen Epps, Greer, Dodge, Munder, and Santos — celebrate their recent success. Jack Ferriman, a weather service pilot, approaches them saying he spotted a vessel adrift in the Bering Sea. Because the ship is in international waters, it can be claimed by whoever brings it to port. The crew sets out on the Arctic Warrior, an ocean salvage tugboat. The ship is the Antonia Graza, which went missing decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Ship_(2002_film)

15. 13 Ghosts (2001) Ghost hunter Cyrus Kriticos and his psychic assistant Dennis Rafkin lead a team on a mission to capture a spirit called the Juggernaut. Several men, including Cyrus, are killed while the team is able to catch the ghost. Cyrus's nephew Arthur, a widower, is informed by Cyrus's estate lawyer, Ben Moss, that he has inherited Cyrus' mansion. Financially insecure, Arthur decides to move there with his two children, Kathy and Bobby, and their nanny, Maggie.

Dennis meets the family as they tour the mansion. The residence is made entirely of glass sheets inscribed with Latin phrases, which Dennis recognizes as barrier spells. He discovers that the twelve angry ghosts he and Cyrus captured are imprisoned in the house, held captive by the spells. As he warns Arthur, Moss unwittingly triggers a mechanism that seals the house and releases the ghosts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteen_Ghosts

16. House on Haunted Hill (1999) In 1931, the patients at the Vannacutt Psychiatric Institute for the Criminally Insane revolt against the staff headed by the sadistic Dr. Richard B. Vannacutt. The patients start a fire which engulfs the building, killing all of the inmates and all but five of Vannacutt’s staff.

In 1999, Evelyn Stockard-Price is in a disintegrating marriage with Steven Price, an amusement park mogul. At Evelyn's insistence, Price stages her birthday party at the long-abandoned hospital. The building's owner, Watson Pritchett, is convinced it is evil, having lived there as a child when it was converted to a private residence. Five guests arrive for the party: film producer Jennifer Jenzen; baseball player Eddie Baker; former television personality Melissa Marr; Donald Blackburn, a physician; and Pritchett. The guests are not the ones Price invited and neither of the Prices know who they are. Despite this, Price continues the party's advertised theme, offering $1 million to each guest who remains in the house until morning; those who flee forfeit their $1 million to the others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_...ll_(1999_film)