Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    10.) Son of Frankenstein (1939)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    My absolute favorite of the Universal Monster movies! (I'll concede some others might be better, but this is the one I enjoy the most)

And yeah, whenever I see that whacked-out staircase, it feels like something straight out of Cabinet of Caligari.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    My absolute favorite of the Universal Monster movies! (I'll concede some others might be better, but this is the one I enjoy the most)

And yeah, whenever I see that whacked-out staircase, it feels like something straight out of Cabinet of Caligari.
    Cabinet of Caligari, I honestly JUST put that on my list right before I read your post Sean Whitmore, so now I am looking forward to seeing and comparing both thanks for that!

I honestly can see why it is your favorite, like I said in my post it honestly surprised me with how good it was and I already felt it might be on interesting one. Basil Rathbone as Wolf von Frankenstein was honestly my favorite with how he could hold his cool while still showing he was angry at the situation when the Inspector was trying to get the truth out of him. His Angier you could feel and his desire to clear his father's name was well put across by his performance, you wanted to see him succeed.

Also with what I have experianced in these movies so far, Families, Children, not one seems off the chopping block when it comes to kills. So who would like and die it keeps you on your sets to know what happens.

Many good things to say about this one, Makes sense why it is your favorite.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

1.) Nosferatu (1922)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    2.) The Phantom of the Opera (1925)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    3.) Dracula (1931)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    4.) Frankenstein (1931)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    5.) The Mummy (1932)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    6.) The Invisible Man (1933)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    7.) Bride of Frankenstein (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    8.) Werewolf of London (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    9.) Dracula's Daughter (1936)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    11.) Mark of the Vampire (1935)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!
    12.) The Mummy's Hand (1940)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

13.) The Wolf Man (1941)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034398/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Many Reasons why this one lives Up as a Classic, The Acting is solid and the myth of the Werewolfs is so well done with a good creepy atmospheric sets SO well done. I have seen many points referenced from this movie alone over the years, but see the original and how much weight it has had on pop-culture is Impressive. Lon Chaney Jr. plays the tragic victum of the cures so well and the tragic themes of the movie really makes you feel the weight of slowing losing oneself to this.

Classic!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Lightbulb

14.) The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034786/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Anothe Nice Sequel, Not as good as the last one Son of Frankenstein but had some good concepts to it to continue the story and yes this is a direct sequal to the last movie. They way the Monster came back seemed kind of over the top to me with how he was supose to die in the last movie, but besides that I enjoyed where the story took itself and expaned more on the Frankenstein Family Mythos.

Smile

14.) The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

15.) The Mummy's Tomb (1942)! ~~ Amazon PRIME Video!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035096/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6

Another Nice Sequal to the last movie and honestly this one felt the most solid in trying to be a sequal and take where the story went with the last Mummy movie and just moving it forward. Again these movies show SO many are not safe from death in these movies so that keeps me wonder as always and enjoying who will survive or not.

Not as comedic as the last entry and was more of a darker tone to a degree, but it worked out well.

Also I Sewer nearing the end of the Movie I looked like the lead final actor migh have gotten burned on the back of his head with how he feel down a flight of stair on for a second onto his torch! This was all real back then, No CGI.

Last edited by CJStriker; 10-12-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Somehow I completely missed this topic until now. I've been doing something similar on another forum. The big difference though, is I decided to step up my game and watch a movie I had never seen before each day. Yeah, this does mean I've cut myself off from the classics and the movies I'd usually watch, but it's also been interesting finding new flicks.

So far I've seen ....

The Recent Invisible Man remake.
    the Fantasy Island remake
    Wacko (an 80s slasher parody)
    The Comedy of Terrors (with Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, and Peter Lorre)
    Otis
    Happy Halloween Scooby Doo
    Crawl
    WNUF Halloween Special (which I recommend to anyone that used to watch TV in the 80s)
    Party Hard Die Young (which I do not recommend to anyone)
    Destroy all Monsters (so I guess I can say I've watched at least one classic this year)
    Trick or Treat (Which actually turned out to be a crime drama and not a Halloween movie at all.)
    and tonight I watched The Shed a nice little low budget vampire movie.

Incredible Member

I hated the twist in Mark of the Vampire. Apparently, so did the studio and the audience. The director didn't even try to have it make sense with the rest of the movie.

October 12th. 24 - BloodRayne: The Third Reich (2011). 25 - Curse of the Wolf (2008).

It takes 3 movies for Rayne to sorta kinda get to story of the first game. Michael Pare is back as the villain this time, and I guess Rayne is too old to remember faces well. Pare is a Nazi commandant turned Daywalker, and Clint Howard is a mad scientist, and the two of them look like they should be having a ton of fun but the script is just so darn week they have nothing to play with. Still not well made as a film, but again not totally inept. There a couple of gratuitous sex scenes thrown in, which is surprising when the previous film didn't have any (though the first one did).

I heard about this movie when it was mentioned on Best of the Worst. Curse of the Wolf looks like maybe some folks in a martial arts class wanted to make a movie. Somebody had a few werewolf masks, and somebody else could get in touch with a couple retired pro wrestlers. Lanny "The Genius" Poffo and Blue Meanie are in supporting roles. There's a lot of kung fu fighting and gratuitous nudity. While it's obviously cheap, I don't know if this was also deliberately bad or not. Some scenes are shot in night vision mode which looks crappy, some are just shot with poor lighting which looks crappy and hard to see. There are inexplicable changes of location in the middle of a fight. Most of the blood is staged but there's some that's lousy CG animation.
    There's an over the top hard rock theme song. "CURSE OF THE WOOOOLF..."

Oh, the plot is that a woman wants to leave her werewolf pack and has a medication to suppress her changes. Her pack leader refuses to let her leave, for reasons. She befriends some people at a club..
    gangsters maybe, I don't know, and lots of fighting happens.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2022 at 11:08 AM.

Fantastic Member

30. Event Horizon (1997) Veering into sci-fi horror for a bit... usually described as Hellraiser in space, Event Horizon does a much better job than the movie which actually gave audiences the aforementioned combination. The movie tends to get a bad rap for using "cliched horror tropes", which could be said of countless others that are guilty of the same offense but better received. I tend to think this comes down to realization of the potential this film had to be a truly unique game changer in the genre and coming up short, rather than appreciation for what it is and was attempting to do. Outside of the badly dated CGI, which is, fortunately, used sparingly, the few scences with unnecessarily over the top explosions, and one comedic bit which should have been re-shot, this is one of my all time favorite sci-fi horrors.

31. Under The Skin (2013) Not sure what to say about this film, it has a sort of bleak, moody and detached atmosphere, which I enjoy, and isn't completely laying its cards on the table when it comes to its underlying themes. I find it sticks with me for a while after viewing, attempting to suss out its meaning.

1. Body Bags (1993)
    2. The Hitcher (1986)
    3a. Child's Play (2019)
    3b. The Haunted Palace (1963)
    4a. Cult of Chucky (2017)
    4b. Night of the Demons (1988)
    4c. The Gate II (1990)
    5. Vampires vs The Bronx (2020)
    6a. Ghost Ship (2002)
    6b. The Guest (2014)
    7. The Fly (1958)
    8. Village of the Damned (1960)
    9a. Children of the Damned (1964)
    9b. Hand of Death (1962)
    9c. Friday the 13th (1980)
    10. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
    11a. Ice Cream Man (1995)
    11b. Child's Play (1988)

12a. Child's Play 2 (1990)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child%27s_Play_2
    12b. Child's Play 3 (1991)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child%27s_Play_3
    Available on HBO Max

Decided to finish off the original trilogy. I remembered them both fondly, but I was surprised upon rewatching just how close the second movie hewed to the full-on horror/comedy mix that the later Chucky movies became. Stuff like Chucky "killing" the other Good Guy doll and then burying it in the backyard is just absurdly hilarious. How do you kill a teacher? Why, beat her to death with a yardstick, of course. Get your hand ripped off? No biggie, just stick a knife in the stump like you're 1990s Aquaman and keep right on going. All great stuff.

1. Pet Sematary (2019)
    2. IT Part 1 (2017)
    3. IT Part 2 (2019)
    4. Gerald's Game (2017)
    5. As Above, So Below (some year...)
    6. Monsters 2010
    7. The Ritual 2017
    8.Friday the 13th Part II

9.Day of the Dead

Boy, it had been a while since I'd seen this. Unfortunately I feel asleep, so I'll have to finish it today.

1. The Curse of Buckout Road (2017) on Tubi
    2. Winchester (2018) on Netflix
    3. The Curse of La Lorena (2019) on HBO MAX
    4. Doctor Sleep (2019) on HBO Max
    5. The Frighteners (1996) on HBO MAX
    6. You're Next (2013) on Peacock
    7. I Spit On Your Grave (2010) on Amazon Prime
    8. Halloween (1978) on AMC
    9. Halloween II (1981) on Vudu
    10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) on AMC
    11. Fright Night (1985) on Amazon Prime
    12. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1995) on AMC

Quote: Jamie: He'll never die.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-13-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Twice Told Tales, with Vincent Price.

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

32. The Thing (2011) Prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 film of the same name, competently done though it unfortunately gets a good amount of hate from fans of the original. The main gripes seem to be about there being too much CGI and not enough practical effects, though as I understand it most of the main creature sequences utilized physical effects, appliances and models which were enhanced with CGI, and for the most part looked good imo, the scences which were mostly computer animated didn't add up enough to detract from the movie overall. What bothers me the most is the music, it's appropriately low keyed and relatively creepy in the right spots, BUT goes typically bombastic Hollywood style for action sequences, which works to kill any tension that's been developed. There are also a handful of unnecessary ideas aped from Carpenter's film, the one I have the biggest problem with is the team concluding a blood test would be the best way to determine who is not human, like why would they come to the same conclusion when they already realized the creature was incapable of mimicing non-organic materials like fillings? Despite my complaints, I appreciate it for adding to the franchise.

33. The Thing (1982) John Carpenter's superior remake of the classic 1951 movie The Thing From Another World, and adaptation of the 1938 novella Who Goes There. A group of American researchers in Antarctica encounter a parasitic extraterrestrial life-form that assimilates, then imitates other organisms. The group is overcome by paranoia and conflict as they learn that they can no longer trust each other and that any one of them could be the Thing. (edited from Wikipedia)

What if they remade Nightmare on Elm Street and cast Jaws as Freddy?

That's basically what this movie is.

Being a Syfy movie, the CG is often rather questionable, as are elements of the plot, but they do a remarkable job at making creepy dream sequence most of the time.

Incredible Member

October 13th. 26 - The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942).
    27 - Invisible Invaders (1959).

Fourth in Universal's Frank series, it follows the events of Son of Frankenstein some years later. Bela Lugosi returns as the sinister and pitiful hunchback criminal, Ygor. Lon Chaney Jr. is The Monster, as he played every monster at one time or another. Another son of the first Dr. Frankenstein meets the creature and can't resist the temptation (albeit coupled with some blackmail) to finish his father's work. Somehow, the monster seems to recognize him which doesn't really seem possible since he wasn't even born during the events of BoF was nowhere to be found during SoF. In fact, Ludwig Frankenstein has been running a hospital in the town of Visaria/Vasaria and claiming no relation to those notorious Frankensteins over in the town that bears their name. The monster returns in crossover movies after this, but this makes an effective ending to the important chapters of his unlife.

Invisible Invaders is a fascinating find. It shares a premise and year of release with Plan 9 From Outer Space and has reanimated corpses who look at lot like Romero's, nine years prior. They're even referred to multiple times as "the walking dead." It's not very good, as the story is rushed, the characters thin, and the scope tries to be epic but all the big stuff happens via stock footage. It's still a professional work compared to Plan 9, though.

I only became aware of this because it happened to catch my notice in the Amazon Prime recommendations when I was trying unsuccessfully to find It: The Terror From Beyond Space. I don't think I had ever heard of it before.
    Last edited by Jared; 11-02-2022 at 11:09 AM.