Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default The Flash #762 Discussion/Spoilers

"Eobard... I forgive you".

And that, THAT is how you perfectly conclude years of hate as well as the themes that you have been working over the course of a run. With a simple line, Joshua Williamson was able to represent what his work on The Flash has been all about.

Right from the beginning, the idea of this run has been about moving forward, and while other writers post-Geoff Johns' Rebirth have tried the same concept before (particularly Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato), nobody managed to be as successful at it as Williamson. This run has not only been about moving forward the retcon of the death of Barry's mother but also developing The Flash family and world, there were some missteps of course (particularly the ones imposed by Scott Snyder's derivative Justice League direction) but there's no doubt the heart of this era has always been in the right place.

It's hard to deny how much Williamson has done for The Flash mythos, mostly for the return of most of The Flash mythos. Sure, one could argue that any author could have done the same and get the same acclaim (although I could argue against that considering Ben Percy tried to do the same with Green Arrow with way less successful results) but Williamson always managed to get the characters and continuity right, especially the continuity since there's a respect to history in his work that is difficult to see in any other writer's titles, I don't think even Geoff Johns has this respect for continuity.

This particular chapter manages to give closure to most plot-points of this run while at the same time weirdly leaving a few for the future (Heather Thawne, Thawne's future, Godspeed's return?) and of course, giving that warm feeling of family that has always been prominent in this book. Not to mention that that initial line was the best way to defeat Thawne, is such a simple, yet effective tactic that I'm surprised nobody else thought about it before.

Howard Porter's artwork has always been ideal for The Flash and this issue is no different thanks to the great amount of energy and expression that he's able to bring to every page.

Great chapter, great finale, great run. Joshua Williamson is up there with William Messner-Loebs, Mark Waid and Geoff Johns now.

I wonder if Heather's husband is called Eddie? There was an Eddie Thawne in the TV show.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Great chapter, great finale, great run. Joshua Williamson is up there with William Messner-Loebs, Mark Waid and Geoff Johns now.
    I agree.

I liked a lot and his run was the first that i could start enjoying Barry as a character where the others that came before him failed.

I've had mixed feelings on a lot of Williamson's run, but this was a great final issue. It feels like the perfect way to deal with Thawne.

these were the panels I was most excited about but I'm torn. I hate frivolous death and resurrections but I love Godspeed. solid finale overall, Joshua Williamson definitely did what you were supposed to do with your run, add new elements to the character's mythology and pay respect to what came before. it wasn't always the best book but definitely top 5 runs of the era.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

This issue is really good as the closing point. But, the problem is Speed Metal is even better than this issue so this issue feels weak to me as an enclosure. Which is not helping, I read Speed Metal first.

Williamson's run had its highs, and lows, but there is no denying that he brought a lot to the Flash mythos, while also bringing together what was thought to be lost forever, so I am grateful to him for the work he did in those last 4-5 years

This last issue was beautiful, and the best way to end both Thawne's story (for good apparently), and Barry's
    The Flash Family is back together, and Barry got to move on, and find some happiness

Williamson is one of the very few writters that puts his whole heart on the characters he writes, showing he really really loves and respects them, and his stories, which is something I really admire from him

Thank you for the 5 years of The Flash, Williamson
    Thanks for everything

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Williamson's run had its highs, and lows, but there is no denying that he brought a lot to the Flash mythos, while also bringing together what was thought to be lost forever, so I am grateful to him for the work he did in those last 4-5 years

This last issue was beautiful, and the best way to end both Thawne's story (for good apparently), and Barry's
    The Flash Family is back together, and Barry got to move on, and find some happiness

Williamson is one of the very few writters that puts his whole heart on the characters he writes, showing he really really loves and respects them, and his stories, which is something I really admire from him

Thank you for the 5 years of The Flash, Williamson
    Thanks for everything
    Is Williamson the only writer that managed to stay on a Rebirth title for this entire time?

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Is Williamson the only writer that managed to stay on a Rebirth title for this entire time?
    Yep, and deservedly so.

BANNED

Yep, which is surprising considering his contender is Tom King the writer of Vision.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

these were the panels I was most excited about but I'm torn. I hate frivolous death and resurrections but I love Godspeed. solid finale overall, Joshua Williamson definitely did what you were supposed to do with your run, add new elements to the character's mythology and pay respect to what came before. it wasn't always the best book but definitely top 5 runs of the era.
    I'd argue that it was frivolous in an over-the-top way to have killed August/Godspeed in the way he did for the reason he did. So him low-key showing he's been resurrected is just righting something that was off course. In fact, I wish it was less ambiguous and more blatant than this, quite frankly; I wanted to see August and Barry interact, since they were the cornerstones of this run's introduction. Would have made for a nice bookended finish.

Godspeed and August Heart are worth more than their death, so I'm more than happy he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    This issue is really good as the closing point. But, the problem is Speed Metal is even better than this issue so this issue feels weak to me as an enclosure. Which is not helping, I read Speed Metal first.
    To be fair? We already knew through interviews and the like that Speed Metal was Williamson's true finale on his The Flash run. And we were intended to read that second.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Yep, which is surprising considering his contender is Tom King the writer of Vision.
    Not so surprising since King's Batman was constantly panned.

He has the longest run, but he's not the only writer. Red Hood, and Batman Beyond also kept the same writer since the start of Rebirth didn't they? But they were monthly, not double shippers, so have about half the number of issues.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wonder why John Fox was overly dramatic about the outcome in #761? This wasn't tragic at all.

Nora's ghost? Oh oh...twists and turns in the reality chain. And she died young, when Barry was a kid. Here she's middle aged!!!

So...what happened to the negative SF, hmm?

Potential return of Godspeed which makes me happy.

Not sure what the deal is with that cold case. Thawne's response to the 'forgiveness' was predictable. I always wondered if the NSF caused a type of brain damage/disorder leaving him unable to process anything positive.

Barry's next enemy looks like a real pill.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Howard Porter's artwork has always been ideal for The Flash and this issue is no different thanks to the great amount of energy and expression that he's able to bring to every page.
    Linda looks bizarrely disproportioned on the double-page panel near the end though. (See attachment. Also, where's Avery? She's a noticeable absentee)

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    Not sure what the deal is with that cold case.
    She was killed at the start of Flash: Rebirth (the Williamson one-shot leading into this series, not the Johns mess). It was never brought up again IIRC, although there was the apparent shadow of Thawne on the last page, just as two detectives were talking about how her husband confessed to her murder.

Just Williamson bookending his run with a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    Thawne's response to the 'forgiveness' was predictable. I always wondered if the NSF caused a type of brain damage/disorder leaving him unable to process anything positive.
    What about Meena anyway. (1) How is she out of prison and (2) Why is she not still suffering the side-effects of having both SFs in her?
    Attached Images Attached Images