Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

A couple of thread wrap-ups for specific characters do seem to have no follow-up or maybe would have got follow-up in the projected initial run story or if it hadn't been smart to wrap things up now. Like sometimes you kick the can down the road on dealing with Meena or whoever and don't get to it, or sometimes you're just like "I mean I introduced a cool character but frankly it's not part of my big picture to follow up, maybe the next writer will like them and play with it ... maybe they'll get fridged ... so it goes."

But yeah, this was fun and had me smiling. It took me a second to get into the escapist groove today but I did at least remember to read Speed Metal after. Like at the beginning and peppered throughout Rebirth, his Barry and his Flash storytelling in general had me hearing the TV show stuff in my head, which is a lovely thing. And I really liked the August book-end. I think "a mystery for another day" is always a fine way to "end things" for a character that's a villain, but like a sympathetic villain or roguish figure. And with the run solving Evil Speedster conundrums like Zoom and Reverse Flash, a glimpse of ... "hope" that there's still one dark speedster out there is great.

Big, hopeful, quite a bash, lovely Porter art. Had a great time.

I really liked the ... I imagine tongue-in-cheek Doctor Alchemy teaser, too. That "NEXT TIME ON FLASH" that's never actually going to happen bit. It's like when G'Nort finally showed up at the end of the Johns Green Lantern era.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I really liked the ... I imagine tongue-in-cheek Doctor Alchemy teaser, too. That "NEXT TIME ON FLASH" that's never actually going to happen bit. It's like when G'Nort finally showed up at the end of the Johns Green Lantern era.
    That wasn't tongue-in-cheek. Alchemy's solicited to appear in #764.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    Nora's ghost? Oh oh...twists and turns in the reality chain. And she died young, when Barry was a kid. Here she's middle aged!!!
    She didn’t look middle aged. As for John Fox maybe he is talking about how Barry could never save Nora

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really enjoyed this. This felt like a mission statement for the character moving forward by finally closing the book on everything that's happened to Barry Allen since his resurrection.

The character now has a blank slate for whomever takes over the book next. Hope it's a worthy creative team.

This was a great wrap up not only to Williamson's run, but everything with Barry and Thawne going back to 2009 with Rebirth. I know Thawne will be back eventually but I think he really needs a long rest after this. I'm over the " I killed your mom Barry lmfao" shtick and I REALLY hope that this is where we stop leaning so heavily on that trope. This run wasn't always perfect but these last couple issues have all been amazing. Today alone Williamson gave us a great Barry comic AND a great Wally comic.

I have no idea if we have any info yet about what the next run is going to look like but I hope it feels totally fresh and includes a thriving and full Flash family.

Also, looks like the tornado twins were alive at the end. Wonder when they'll show up again.

Earlier on Iris mentioned having two surprises for Barry. The next time we see them might be when they're born. Although that creates a lot of conundrums for how they end up living in the future.

My favorite moment had to be just a fun little side moment with Jay at the BBQ(I’m pretty sure that’s Jay, Porter made Jay and Max look similar).

42192A74-8DFE-4A78-884F-D58E5EBD1797.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Linda looks bizarrely disproportioned on the double-page panel near the end though. (See attachment. Also, where's Avery? She's a noticeable absentee)

She was killed at the start of Flash: Rebirth (the Williamson one-shot leading into this series, not the Johns mess). It was never brought up again IIRC, although there was the apparent shadow of Thawne on the last page, just as two detectives were talking about how her husband confessed to her murder.

Just Williamson bookending his run with a happy ending.

What about Meena anyway. (1) How is she out of prison and (2) Why is she not still suffering the side-effects of having both SFs in her?
    Meena only has the NSF. She was in jail wearing a collar and wanted to study it more, saying it was tearing her apart. Barry wanted to help her get out but she said she belonged there. To her credit she didn't blame Grodd for all her actions and said some of it was on her. But how she popped out is beyond me. They even had her in the big fight when Barry got his body back from Thawne.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    She didn’t look middle aged. As for John Fox maybe he is talking about how Barry could never save Nora
    Middle aged. Even has the granny slippers on. Check previous images of when she actually died, she was clearly much younger. This could be part of that "side effect" Barry mentioned, its almost like splitting the difference in reality. Look for more weirdness.

Maybe Fox is talking about something further down the road, otherwise I don't get the drama about "Flashes never being looked at the same."
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    Meena only has the NSF. She was in jail wearing a collar and wanted to study it more, saying it was tearing her apart.
    She had the PSF to start with from the storm, then sucked the NSF out of Barry at Grodd's command. Which ended the side-effects he was having with both Speed Forces (which started after Thawne dumped him in the NSF for a bit), but gave her the same problem. That's what was "tearing her apart", the combination of the two, but the power-suppressing effects of the jail collar stopped thst from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'd argue that it was frivolous in an over-the-top way to have killed August/Godspeed in the way he did for the reason he did. So him low-key showing he's been resurrected is just righting something that was off course. In fact, I wish it was less ambiguous and more blatant than this, quite frankly; I wanted to see August and Barry interact, since they were the cornerstones of this run's introduction. Would have made for a nice bookended finish.

Godspeed and August Heart are worth more than their death, so I'm more than happy he's back.
    Fully agree with all of this. It was really depressing to learn that Williamson had always planned for August to be killed by his own brother's killer. RIP the Heart family, it just felt so cruel. I'm just glad August is back too and I hope he and Barry will get to team up again in the future! I hope the next writers will explore their relationship more since I find their dynamic very interesting and I'm just a huge fan of Godspeed in general. I hope we see more of him, the Flash Museum has a whole section dedicated to him in the 25th century and I really want to see one of the writers run with that and explore what his place is in the Flash mythos. Personally, I really want him to be part of the Flash Family despite being the "black sheep", him helping Barry defeat Paradox was already a great step towards his redemption and if Barry can forgive Thawne for all the horrible things he did then surely August deserves forgiveness and another chance too. Though I'll just settle with him being ALIVE for now.