Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rescued from the Scrappy Heap

There are certain characters that for whatever reasons generate massive amounts of hate among fans, a Scrappy, named after the character from Scooby Doo. However in rare instance as time goes on the hate from the character dies down and fans eventually come to like them. As such the character is rescued from the Scrappy Heap.

My question here is can anyone remember characters that used to be despised by fans that are now well liked? Like why were they hated and made people come around to them.

I heard that Kyle Rayner used to have a pretty large and vocal hate legion. So how did he turn it around?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    There are certain characters that for whatever reasons generate massive amounts of hate among fans, a Scrappy, named after the character from Scooby Doo. However in rare instance as time goes on the hate from the character dies down and fans eventually come to like them. As such the character is rescued from the Scrappy Heap.

My question here is can anyone remember characters that used to be despised by fans that are now well liked? Like why were they hated and made people come around to them.

I heard that Kyle Rayner used to have a pretty large and vocal hate legion. So how did he turn it around?
    Honestly, Scrappy never deserved the hate he got and still gets. I feel like Kyle is sort of the opposite: he was loved and hated by the fans at first, but has been shafted to the point where he's lost most of his fanbase.

Maybe Jason Todd.
    Apparently people hated him enough to get him killed.

But now that he's beck, he's had an ongoing series.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

The original version of Vibe was criticised both for being a negative Latino stereotype and a fad-based character, with the break dancing. The New 52 version of the character seems to have been received decently enough. His series wasn't a big seller, but nobody seemed the dislike him. The Flash TV series version has been very well received, often said to be one of the best aspects of the show. I find it really weird that the comics haven't brought Vibe back, even though he's on television screens on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Maybe Jason Todd.
    Apparently people hated him enough to get him killed.

But now that he's beck, he's had an ongoing series.
    There's kind of an asterisk with Jason Todd. The original iteration was a nice kid, and he was received well enough. Then after Crisis on Infinite Earths, they decided to keep a lot of Batman and Teen Titans continuity, but also throw out every Jason Todd story and introduce a new version of Jason Todd, who was a bit of a prick. That's the version fans didn't care for as much. Even then, it's said that the "will Robin die" phone poll was very close, and that they later found out it was one guy phoning in repeatedly who swayed the result.

From my experience, the Kyle hate was more based on how Hal was shafted, and Kyle fans wanting Hal fans to shut up about it, which inevitably turned into each fanbase crapping on the others' character. So I don't think people really hated him per se.

Damian Wayne. He was real controversial when he became canon. He was constantly called everything from a brat to too cocky to an abomination. When the new52 started there were even arguments that it was the perfect time to write him out and act like he never existed. It’s hard to tell it now but he got a ton of hate in the beginning. I’d say he’s pretty much loved now by the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The original version of Vibe was criticised both for being a negative Latino stereotype and a fad-based character, with the break dancing. The New 52 version of the character seems to have been received decently enough. His series wasn't a big seller, but nobody seemed the dislike him. The Flash TV series version has been very well received, often said to be one of the best aspects of the show. I find it really weird that the comics haven't brought Vibe back, even though he's on television screens on a weekly basis.

There's kind of an asterisk with Jason Todd. The original iteration was a nice kid, and he was received well enough. Then after Crisis on Infinite Earths, they decided to keep a lot of Batman and Teen Titans continuity, but also throw out every Jason Todd story and introduce a new version of Jason Todd, who was a bit of a prick. That's the version fans didn't care for as much. Even then, it's said that the "will Robin die" phone poll was very close, and that they later found out it was one guy phoning in repeatedly who swayed the result.

From my experience the 1st version of Jason didn't go down well at all since he was just a shameless Dick Grayson copy acrobat parents and all.

The rigged phone calls claim isn't fact. Has never been supported by evidence That's just rumour.

Jason and Damian are perfect examples of scrappy's recused from from the scrap heap. They were hated but they turned it around and haven't stopped in their rise in popularity.

I know Damian got/gets a lot of hate simply for being the blood son and replacing a favourite [likely Jason got some hate for being a replacement as well]

Damian is a character that is designed to be divisive so hate is expected but the humour and the strength of his character helped him win fans . Also Jason and damian have evolved a lot since their introduction. That growth and development. The potential and what they add to the batfamily turned them into fan favourites.
    Last edited by Fergus; 03-09-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    From my experience, the Kyle hate was more based on how Hal was shafted, and Kyle fans wanting Hal fans to shut up about it,
    It wasn't just about Hal v Kyle, LOL!
    The entire GL Corps; Killowog, John, Guy, etc... were removed or replaced, (and not just physically but long term thematic ramifications), so Kyle could be the only Green Lenten in the DC Universe.
    Kyle was wonderful if you'd just jumped on board, and all you were being told was how special he was, and useless the others had been. LOL!
    Hal fans got the worst of it, as it was done to make Kyle the only GL, yet it was spectacularly all blamed on Hal's character!
    Brilliant! LOL!

Truth is the GL franchise wasn't bringing in the numbers other 90's events had generated, so it needed a shocking event--shot in the arm- and the betrayal of Hal, fall of the Corps and intro of Kyle (Scrappy!) was the answer.

Yet if you really want to make the Scrappy analogy, it'd be more like if ratings are down, what do we do?
    Answer: Shaggy goes rabid insane, turns on and slaughtered the entire Scooby gang, Mystery machine is a blood drenched crime scene, Fred's left in wheelchair, Scooby becomes a monster mutant freak, Velma and Daphne are dead and forgotten, and Scooby kills himself! While Scrappy pops up Tadah! ...I'm Here! To be the only one,
    That was Kyle.
    Now while the others are all dead, crippled, insane, ... he's driving the van, eating all the snacks, and solving everything himself for the next decade! : ) ...LOL!

Thankfully they found a way to bring the whole gang back! Used Rebirth to bring Hal and The Corps all back. And keep Kyle!
    Until that runs it's course too. : )
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-27-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Harper Row aka Bluebird was this to Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown back when Scott Snyder was banned and vetoed by Didio and execs of using both characters even though both women were later reintroduced again Harper was getting the spotlight and both Cass and Steph never got their preminence due to Didio's executive bickering
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

That pretty much sounds like every new character.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

After Hal returned as GL, reasons to hate Kyle pretty much evaporated.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

I'm just one guy, but I liked red-head Jason Todd--he was no Dick Grayson, but then who is. I hated that they swapped him out for black-haired Jason Todd, didn't like those changes at all, but still I would have voted to keep him alive if I had that option. I boycotted those Death in the Family issues--first time I stopped buying BATMAN since the early 1970s.

I'd say Vibe is a scrap heap character. He was despised by everyone when he originally appeared in the Detroit Justice League, but now he's a beloved character (all due to Carlos Valdes--we will miss you).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Damian is pretty much the best example of a scrappy being turned around, by his own creator no less, into a great character.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Though the Kyle fans started hating on Hal for taking over again, even if Kyle got off light compared to how everyone else did when he entered the scene (that Guy Gardner...thing up there is ugly as sin).

The way Kyle was introduced seems like a textbook example of how NOT to do a legacy, whereas characters like Wally West, Jack Knight, Damian (eventually), Dick's brief stint as Batman and Terry McGinnis seem like textbook examples of how to do it properly.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Yep. If a character is blocking another's ascendancy, the former character will attract a lot of abuse regardless if it's warranted or not. Once that character is not deemed a threat anymore, however, the anger will dissipate fairly quickly.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Damian is pretty much the best example of a scrappy being turned around, by his own creator no less, into a great character.
    Even animated movie Damian got a little better once he joined the Titans.