Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default Death Metal: Speed Metal #1 Discussion/Spoilers

If this week's issue of The Flash was the perfect finale for Joshua Williamson's run, this serves as a good complement for it as well as yet another respectful depiction from the author for Wally West.

We have seen many examples of how much Williamson likes Wally (particularly during the Flash War arc) but here he's able to go completely free in his affection of the character. This is yet another tie-in to the Death Metal event but, unlike the Trinity Crisis story, this is mostly a side-story focusing on character instead of an important part of the main plot (which I believe is for the better).

Wally is the protagonist of this issue and the plot is centered around his history as well as his dynamic with The Flash family which is something that has always been prominent in Williamson's work. I really enjoy how most of the cast is portrayed here and, while I think some of the little conflict Barry and Wally had early on felt a little forced, it was good to showcase how much of a father figure Jay is to the whole group. Later on, both Barry and Wally get a more natural interaction and the writer demonstrates how different they can be while also showing what makes each other special.

The author once again demonstrates his respect for continuity here by bringing back many important moments of Wally's career including his most famous battles and enemies. Best of all for me is that Williamson brings back the first costume Wally changed when he became The Flash (which I like to call the "William Messner-Loebs costume") which I always liked and Wally making fun of the Batman who Laughs ("Batman who tries too hard") is the cherry on top.

Eddy Barrows handles the art and is solid with good and detailed expressions along with clear storytelling.

Great read, hope this is not the last time Williamson writes Wally.

This was the first issue of a Flash comic that i loved from beginning to end in Years. Just Perfect!

I want to know where Williamson is going now. I hope he can get some life to the Titans next.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This was the first issue of a Flash comic that i loved from beginning to end in Years. Just Perfect!

I want to know where Williamson is going now. I hope he can get some life to the Titans next.
    That would be a perfect book for him considering he can really exploit the team's history and write Wally again.

And he is currently writing Dick in the Justice League tie-in to Death Metal. Starfire and Cyborg will show up in the next issue of that. So that'll be at least four Titans he's written.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Obvious question time - how are Linda & Iris (and Jai if he's still depowered, but Finish Line seemed to show otherwise) even in the Speed Force? Even if the others managed to drag them in - and how Wallace, Jay & Barry got in is a question in and of itself, especially since Barry gave his speed to Wally, the line about Wally somehow pulling them out without even realising it is...odd - isn't it meant to be really toxic to non-speedsters? (I somehow doubt they're getting speedster powers out of this)
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 09-22-2020 at 08:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Obvious question time - how are Linda & Iris (and Jai if he's still depowered, but Finish Line seemed to show otherwise) even in the Speed Force? Even if the others managed to drag them in - and how Wallace, Jay & Barry got in is a question in and of itself, especially since Barry gave his speed to Wally, the line about Wally somehow pulling them out without even realising it is...odd - isn't it meant to be really toxic to non-speedsters? (I somehow doubt they're getting speedster powers out of this)
    The Mobius chair or The Dr. Manhattan Reality Warping Powers or The Speedforce. That's the answer to everything or if you want the bad answer it's just a dream.

Actually Jais' powers were more reminiscent of the Strength Force, where he would bulk up hugely and get superstrong. THis may support my theory that the "forces" are just aspects of the SpeedForce, since it captured /isolated the others in the first place.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    100% agree. Best Metal book as well easy.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

I'm all for a new costume if it's not based on his Kid Flash costume. He can use goggles like Quicksilver and have a more "casual" outfit maybe. Just not his KF suit with a new colour.