Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Death Metal: Speed Metal #1 Discussion/Spoilers

If this week's issue of The Flash was the perfect finale for Joshua Williamson's run, this serves as a good complement for it as well as yet another respectful depiction from the author for Wally West.

We have seen many examples of how much Williamson likes Wally (particularly during the Flash War arc) but here he's able to go completely free in his affection of the character. This is yet another tie-in to the Death Metal event but, unlike the Trinity Crisis story, this is mostly a side-story focusing on character instead of an important part of the main plot (which I believe is for the better).

Wally is the protagonist of this issue and the plot is centered around his history as well as his dynamic with The Flash family which is something that has always been prominent in Williamson's work. I really enjoy how most of the cast is portrayed here and, while I think some of the little conflict Barry and Wally had early on felt a little forced, it was good to showcase how much of a father figure Jay is to the whole group. Later on, both Barry and Wally get a more natural interaction and the writer demonstrates how different they can be while also showing what makes each other special.

The author once again demonstrates his respect for continuity here by bringing back many important moments of Wally's career including his most famous battles and enemies. Best of all for me is that Williamson brings back the first costume Wally changed when he became The Flash (which I like to call the "William Messner-Loebs costume") which I always liked and Wally making fun of the Batman who Laughs ("Batman who tries too hard") is the cherry on top.

Eddy Barrows handles the art and is solid with good and detailed expressions along with clear storytelling.

Great read, hope this is not the last time Williamson writes Wally.

This was the first issue of a Flash comic that i loved from beginning to end in Years. Just Perfect!

I want to know where Williamson is going now. I hope he can get some life to the Titans next.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This was the first issue of a Flash comic that i loved from beginning to end in Years. Just Perfect!

I want to know where Williamson is going now. I hope he can get some life to the Titans next.
    That would be a perfect book for him considering he can really exploit the team's history and write Wally again.

And he is currently writing Dick in the Justice League tie-in to Death Metal. Starfire and Cyborg will show up in the next issue of that. So that'll be at least four Titans he's written.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Obvious question time - how are Linda & Iris (and Jai if he's still depowered, but Finish Line seemed to show otherwise) even in the Speed Force? Even if the others managed to drag them in - and how Wallace, Jay & Barry got in is a question in and of itself, especially since Barry gave his speed to Wally, the line about Wally somehow pulling them out without even realising it is...odd - isn't it meant to be really toxic to non-speedsters? (I somehow doubt they're getting speedster powers out of this)
    Last edited by SanityOrMadness; 09-22-2020 at 08:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Obvious question time - how are Linda & Iris (and Jai if he's still depowered, but Finish Line seemed to show otherwise) even in the Speed Force? Even if the others managed to drag them in - and how Wallace, Jay & Barry got in is a question in and of itself, especially since Barry gave his speed to Wally, the line about Wally somehow pulling them out without even realising it is...odd - isn't it meant to be really toxic to non-speedsters? (I somehow doubt they're getting speedster powers out of this)
    The Mobius chair or The Dr. Manhattan Reality Warping Powers or The Speedforce. That's the answer to everything or if you want the bad answer it's just a dream.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    That's the answer to everything or if you want the bad answer it's just a dream.
    Can't be, Barry & Jay join him in running into the next issue of Death Metal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Can't be, Barry & Jay join him in running into the next issue of Death Metal.
    But, several pages before you can see that despite losing the Mobius Chair, The Batman Who Try Hard is Laughing and if Batman comic is still a point for this events, then Joker always laugh when his plan is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    The Mobius chair or The Dr. Manhattan Reality Warping Powers or The Speedforce. That's the answer to everything or if you want the bad answer it's just a dream.
    Linda and the twins were in the Speed Force with Wally a lot Pre Nu-52, so that shouldn't be an issue. The way I read it, Wally unconsciously used his connection with the Speed Force and the Mobius Chair to bring them with him as I assume, Bart and Max pulled him in.

Was really hoping for more significance to the new duds other than failed corruption. I know when I saw the covers the first thing I thought was "BLACK FLASH" with Barry. Can you imagine Jay with all those chains, clinking and clanking as he runs?

But I'm with Wallace...WHAT THE HELL????
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Actually Jais' powers were more reminiscent of the Strength Force, where he would bulk up hugely and get superstrong. THis may support my theory that the "forces" are just aspects of the SpeedForce, since it captured /isolated the others in the first place.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post

Actually Jais' powers were more reminiscent of the Strength Force, where he would bulk up hugely and get superstrong. THis may support my theory that the "forces" are just aspects of the SpeedForce, since it captured /isolated the others in the first place.
    well they are all aspects of the Forever Force iirc, I think a better explanation would be to keep the different forces as different aspects of the Forever Force and just say the Forever Force is a different "application" of the Source. Maybe they'll retcon that Jai was tapping into the Strength force and have him do that going forward. Although, I feel like some Flash fans would lose their **** if they started letting older characters use the new forces; or if they started incorporating them more at all, like how some GL fans hate the Emotional Spectrum.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Although, I feel like some Flash fans would lose their **** if they started letting older characters use the new forces; or if they started incorporating them more at all, like how some GL fans hate the Emotional Spectrum.
    The difference is that Johns created the concept of expanding an universe with the Emotional Spectrum years ago. Snyder did it fairly recently with the new Forces right when the idea was already overly-used and tiring.

(In fact I could say that Snyder's Justice League was pretty much a re-tread of Johns' along with a few other of his ideas with worse execution but that's another topic).

Ok so I will agree that this is the best Flash comic I have read in a VERY long time. Since before the Nu52.

I will address some of the things I didn't care for first because there is way more good than bad IMO.

Williamsons dialogue is always so clunky and unnatural to me. Way too much over explaining. I remember in Flash War I thought what are these two even fighting about?

I can't stand when the characters refer to your, ours or other speed forces...also do not like that they can be broken or hurt...or at least as often as they seem to be.

Lastly, I don't think Iris West should still be wearing the Impulse costume. I get that is who she just became in Flash Rebirth and before Flashpoint but either give her her old costume or make her another Kid Flash. Bart is Impulse.

On to the likes.

So many great moments for all the Flashes. The history with Wally and everyone is in play clearly. Maybe with some adjustments. Barrows art is amazing. Loved seeing Wally in HIS Flash costume again. This actually really felt like the Wally West we knew and loved. Loved the banter between Wally and Bart. It actually filled my heart seeing all the Flash family welcome Wally back and to see Wally's old attitude is back and isn't doubting himself or beating himself up anymore.

Great issue overall. I really hope something good comes out of this though. The last time the whole family was together again they were all erased 12 issues later. I don't think Williamson is one of better Flash writers but it clear he loves these characters and knows his history.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This entire issue felt like a love letter to Flash fans, who've had a pretty rough decade. I think all the pieces are in place for a great new era for The Flash.