Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Favorite Comic Themed Board/Card Games?

I'm always looking for new ones to try, so curious what everyone's playing and digging these days? They can be old/new, single or multiple players, etc. etc. I'd also like to know general pros & cons of these games!

For example, I'm really partial to Marvel Legendary. It's just as fun playing alone as it is playing with another player, and there are some EXCELLENT fan-made campaigns online. But it doesn't scale very well the more players you add (literally just makes it more difficult to win) and it's kind of becoming a bloated game with several (imo) superfluous expansions.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I've started playing Marvel United, which I believe the base game is now available at retail after the Kickstarter (though the characters might vary) and involves players working as a team against specific villains with different objectives (the base box has Red Skull, Ultron and Taskmaster) against various locations and combining moves via cards. It's a pretty tricky game for what it appears and even the easiest villain can be a challenge, and there's a equally difficult solo mode where you oversee a team rather than specific heroes.

Curious how Marvel Villainous plays! I have often though about getting the Disney version but I gather the Marvel one is more flexible?

There was a Marvel card game in the 90s I liked but I can't remember the name.

I really like the Super Munchkin flavor (not to be confused with the Marvel Munchkin stuff).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The Cryptozoic DC Deck Building game is fun.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Spectacular Member

I've thought about looking into Villainous myself, given the sheer availability of it in my town. United looks like fun, I dig the art style and mechanically it looks easy enough to understand!

Spectacular Member

I actually played the DC Deck Building Game with some friends for a few years. I liked that you actually got to choose a base hero, but the game could have been a bit more streamlined mechanically imo. Some of the scenarios were brutal too, that Crisis expansion was particularly tough. Maybe I'll jump back in and give it a try!

Spectacular Member

For those of you that are into social deduction games like Werewolf and Mafia, Hail Hydra is alot of fun. It functions very similarly to the previous two with the added caveat of having to beat villains before the city is destroyed. However, as with most social deduction games, its' biggest downfall is the amount of players needed to actually play a game. With a 5 player minimum, you're basically beholden to how often you can get a group together to play.

I have had quite a lot of fun with Hail Hydra! It makes a great gift for casual fans, too.

Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Amazons is my current obsession. Fantastic co-op board game where you defend Themyscira from three different villains.

DC Deck Building Game is always popular in my gaming group.

One that I've been getting into lately is the VS 2PCG. It's like Magic: The Gathering, but all the cards come in the box ready to be used (and customized).

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    For those of you that are into social deduction games like Werewolf and Mafia, Hail Hydra is alot of fun. It functions very similarly to the previous two with the added caveat of having to beat villains before the city is destroyed. However, as with most social deduction games, its' biggest downfall is the amount of players needed to actually play a game. With a 5 player minimum, you're basically beholden to how often you can get a group together to play.
    You actually reminded me of this - somebody on Archive Of Our Own actually adapted the game Resistance and it’s various roles with a HYDRA/Winter Soldier theme: maybe it might interest you?

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24156802

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    You actually reminded me of this - somebody on Archive Of Our Own actually adapted the game Resistance and it’s various roles with a HYDRA/Winter Soldier theme: maybe it might interest you?

https://archiveofourown.org/works/24156802
    I hadn't heard of Resistance prior to this, but it sounds like a blast. Social Deduction games are a big hit in my friend circle

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I have had quite a lot of fun with Hail Hydra! It makes a great gift for casual fans, too.

Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Amazons is my current obsession. Fantastic co-op board game where you defend Themyscira from three different villains.

DC Deck Building Game is always popular in my gaming group.

One that I've been getting into lately is the VS 2PCG. It's like Magic: The Gathering, but all the cards come in the box ready to be used (and customized).
    I'm absolute garbage when it comes to magic and tend to favor a co-op experience, so I will definitely look into Challenge of the Amazons!

I own and play several:

- Marvel VS 2PCG - my favorite one. Similar to Magic the Gathering but without blind packs and without the mana problem in Magic. Cards are very thematic and there is a great array of teams and characters already available.

- Marvel Champions - LCG co-op from Fantasy Flight. Good game but I personally don’t think it is thematic enough and I don’t like the art style. I prefer Lord of the Rings LCG also from FF.

- Marvel Legendary - LCG co-op from Upper Deck. It is a fun game and the art style is great, plus there is a big array of masterminds, schemes and different combinations. It is fun but not very thematic. For co-op I prefer it over Marvel Champions.

- Heroclix - got into it very recently, it is quite different from the previous games, as it has miniature battles. Still need to play it more often to make a decision.

I have read about Marvel United but it is too simple for me.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I own and play several:

- Marvel VS 2PCG - my favorite one. Similar to Magic the Gathering but without blind packs and without the mana problem in Magic. Cards are very thematic and there is a great array of teams and characters already available.

- Marvel Champions - LCG co-op from Fantasy Flight. Good game but I personally don’t think it is thematic enough and I don’t like the art style. I prefer Lord of the Rings LCG also from FF.

- Marvel Legendary - LCG co-op from Upper Deck. It is a fun game and the art style is great, plus there is a big array of masterminds, schemes and different combinations. It is fun but not very thematic. For co-op I prefer it over Marvel Champions.

- Heroclix - got into it very recently, it is quite different from the previous games, as it has miniature battles. Still need to play it more often to make a decision.

I have read about Marvel United but it is too simple for me.
    I'm glad someone brought up Champions, as it is still relatively new I've waited to get word on how it is. Heroclix was my gateway drug into games like this. The mechanics can get very in depth, but the theming and collectability make it a great game. Ultimately price, rotation of legal sets to play, and storage issues forced me to bow out of the game.

I'm glad someone brought up Champions, as it is still relatively new I've waited to get word on how it is. Heroclix was my gateway drug into games like this. The mechanics can get very in depth, but the theming and collectability make it a great game. Ultimately price, rotation of legal sets to play, and storage issues forced me to bow out of the game.
    I am personally not interested in tournament play with any of those games but I know what you mean - Heroclix, at a competitive level, suffers from the same issues that MTG has.

Regarding Marvel Champions, I just think Lord of the Rings LCG or Arkham Horror LCG are better games, although I prefer the comic books/ Marvel theme.

For what it's worth, the Captain Marvel: Secrect Skrulls game is pretty good in that genre.

It's a reskin of BANG! but with a Skrully Marvel tilt and the player count starts at 3, so much easier to get to the table. 4/5 of my family can play it, so we don't have a problem getting it to table (one is too young for it) outside of the gamer group.

I actually like it better than BANG.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium