Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The most important X-Artists since of the last ten years? Bachalo? Immonen?

Who in your opinion are the most impactful artists on X-Men books since 2010? To give you some idea, 2010 is the era of Second Coming

I bet you Greg Land and Chris Bachalo have drawn the most X-Books since 2010. Bachalo, going back to his Generation X days, has to be considered a definitive X-Artist at this point. He's been with the line through many iterations and his work during the Bendis era has proved especially long lasting design wise.

So Bachalo is on the list I think.

Jerome Opena is a personal favorite of mine. I'm not sure his work on Uncanny X-Force was substantial enough to merit placement on the list but I adored his work. Mark Brooks is another artist from that run that I love and whose initial image of HOXPOX was iconic.

Does Copiel make the list? House of M, AvX, Brian Wood's first four X-Men issues....I'm not sure it does.

I think Stuart Immonen would have to make the list based on his talent and the way his art is the new house style for the X-books I would argue. Everyone from Larraz to Silva to Asrar are following in Immonen's footsteps (this is not meant as an insult - Larraz in particular is quickly on his way to surpassing even Immonen).

I really cannot think of who has impacted the line more than Bachalo or Immonen in this decade? Which is funny because while both are amazing artists, they are not the type I most associate with X-Men which were so defined by the semi perfect draftsmenship of Byrne, Smith and Lee.

Who am I forgetting? Who has made a lasting impression on you and on the line?

Mighty Member

It's Bachalo and for one reason alone.

He's defined how a lot of characters look now. Cyclops, Magneto and Magik (And Rogue before they reset her to 90s nostalgia) all get their current designs from him.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    It's Bachalo and for one reason alone.

He's defined how a lot of characters look now. Cyclops, Magneto and Magik (And Rogue before they reset her to 90s nostalgia) all get their current designs from him.
    I would have to agree with this.

I absolutely love Immonen especially his work on Ultimate Spidey and New Avengers but Bachalo is stellar; however, we can't forget about Nick Bradshaw.

He was so awesome along with Bachalo on Wolvie & The X-Men

So the most important artist of the last decade is an artist who redesigned 5 characters?
    Lol, then I vote for Asrar because he created the best Storm costume ever and Jean`s RED outfit was used with different colors in Giant Size.

Bachalo's responsible from Magik's Soulsurfboard, right? I really can never forgive him that.

Mighty Member

Jean's red outfit has nowhere near the permeation that all those other outfits do. You can be reductive as you like, but given the permeation that those five characters have in most x-media in the last 10 years. Yeah, redesigning those five counts for a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Bachalo's responsible from Magik's Soulsurfboard, right? I really can never forgive him that.
    Feel about it however you want, it's iconography. And for a comic artist, that's way more important than anything else.

In this matter, I am radical: artists in comics shouldn’t have a style that draws attention to it. The story is what is important. It shouldn’t be: oh, what a beautiful work.

No recent artist gave me the impression of doing a solid and humble work. The only ones I remarked were the ones that were really bad, tasteless, flashy…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

It is comics. Art must be amazing and draw attention. It is a visual storytelling.

Jean's red outfit has nowhere near the permeation that all those other outfits do. You can be reductive as you like, but given the permeation that those five characters have in most x-media in the last 10 years. Yeah, redesigning those five counts for a lot.
    Time will show. Storm`s definitely do. Jean`s may too come up later. Will see.
    No reductive or negative. All that costumes were already mostly or partially redesigned.

Just for me a few redesigned costumes don`t mean so much as beautifully driven comic book, arc or event. To each his own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    So the most important artist of the last decade is an artist who redesigned 5 characters?
    Lol, then I vote for Asrar because he created the best Storm costume ever and Jean`s RED outfit was used with different colors in Giant Size.
    I'm not fond of Bachalo myself but his influence is undeniable. Cyclops' current costume is just a recoloring of Bachalo's Uncanny design with the classic headgear swapped back into place, Magick is still wearing pretty much the same costume he designed - although I'm not completely sure who designed the new students of that period, was it Bachalo or Immonen? Those two were drawing two closely tied titles at the same time, so I'm not quite sure.

Asrar might very well carry more weight in a few years (and I like him more than Bachalo, although less than Immonen), but I can't say that he does so currently.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    In this matter, I am radical: artists in comics shouldn’t have a style that draws attention to it. The story is what is important. It shouldn’t be: oh, what a beautiful work.

No recent artist gave me the impression of doing a solid and humble work. The only ones I remarked were the ones that were really bad, tasteless, flashy…
    This makes no sense. If you want to read a book only then go write a novel. Comics are sold 60% because of the art. I can't imagine anyone buying half the drivel that has been written over the decades if it was in novel format or had Greg Land art. I know i wouldn't touch it.

And how would an artist stand out to get more work if it was just a standard cookie cutter style. this sounds like a minimization of half the talent in comics.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I would vote Bachalo just because he remains still my fave marvel artist right now. And everytime he does a book i know im going to want it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Feel about it however you want, it's iconography. And for a comic artist, that's way more important than anything else.
    Sure thing, but I also reserve the right to call something derp if I see it. Fortunately, most subsesquent artists have abandoned the anime sword even though the outfit has mostly stayed same (with some exceptions like Gorham in Dead Souls).
    In general I am not a big fan of oversexualized Magik, reminds me of Psylocke in the '90s, although I do admit Bachelo makes her look good (sans the sword).
    I don't mind if the art is distinctive as long as it fits the writing and obviously not everyone can like everything. Part of the fun having different artists is to see them interpret characters and action differently. Overall I do like Bachalo's art. I liked it a lot already back in Gen-X days.

Spectacular Member

I gotta say, I really like Pepe Larraz's work. Only criticism I have is that it is the same female face on each female character. While it's true everyone has their own style, I feel like the male faces are all different, but the female faces are exactly the same and you have to rely on context/coloring/uniform to get who is who.

Hated Bachalo since i saw him in Uncanny as a replacement to Madureira. Never liked him. Everytime he was on a book i was reading i got upset. Same thing happened to me with Yu. I didnt like him on wolverine and i hated him on x-men (Revolution). I hope i never see them in x-men ever again. Immonen was million times better.