Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed I understand itīs annoying if I took a photo of my family some people would think we come from different places instead of being related I blame mass media mostly, it seems to have a basic template of everybody and is not willing adapt it with reality, I think thatīs why itīs important for people to call out the whitewashing as well as the lack of diversity on latin american characters, I think thereīs also something that can be done at the local level for this to work but it will take time, stereotypes donīt die out quickly unfortunately.
    Yes, sadly it happens even with well intentioned people. I don't think people in this site are trying to be closed minded, is just that EVERY time that a lighter Latin character is presented in a title you have people asking why the character looks white, even though that character has always been presented like that. With Fabian and Manuel, who are supposed to be Spanish, is weird because Americans think that Spanish people (who are European) should actually look like the stereotype of latin people in the US. Same with Rictor, who has always been portrayed as a light skinned mexican with green eyes, and all of a sudden you have people complaining that he doesn't look "Latin enough" (and you know what that means). Yes, I get that people are coming at it with good intentions, but they are still applying ignorant stereotypes to these characters. That is why characters like Roberto and Cece are refreshing to me as well, because they actually represent a more complete look for latin people.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-27-2020 at 09:48 PM.