Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    But now people accuse you of cultural appropriation...
    Those people are stupid ignorant and should mind their own damn business. (that's my usual and only response to those who have accosted me with such nonsense)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Locs are formed when you either manually lock the strands using an locking agent (like bees wax) or when you allow it to free-form (by not combing and separate the strands).
    It's a natural hair Style but it's not a naturally occurring hair texture.
    Ooooh so you're saying he just took out his dreads. Was kinda confusing since my curls lock up pretty easily if it's not being watched carefully
    Manifold's natural hair texture going by Ewing and Schiti's research and image, is loose soft curls indicative of his Aborigine ethnicity.
    Hmm I feel his redesign actually erases his IAUS background
    Not like in this image...

buuut that's just me
    and FYI...while it's usually worn by Black people, locs can be worn by every race...ie it's not a Black hair-style.
    Uh yeah I never said it was an exclusively black hairstyle I hooked up with a dreadhead, white, Rastifarian,Trump supporter (yes yes I know I know) but it's just odd seeing posters respond to criticism of the change by saying it was more natural when dreadlocks is the traditional hairstyle of choice of many men in North Central/West AUS where Eden hails from
    GrindrStone(D)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's the other aspect too...Locs can be Traditional/Ceremonial and Spiritual.
    Not all Aborigines follow that traditional style though. And going traditional, or not, is still a choice. Going without locs doesn't/shouldn't make Eden any less identifiable as Aborigine.

My statement about locs not being a Black style was just added information for those who read my post and believed it to be. There are lots of foolish, ignorant notions out there.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-25-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm disgusted at the amount of people who don't know Fabian Cortez.
    This, sis. New X-Men fans need to research their history *sobs*

Also, where’s Anne Marie?

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

I would like to see more eXtraterrestrial mutants included in this series. Maybe Vulcan will appear since he has ties to the Shiar. An appearance or addition of alien mutants to the team would be cool. Broo would work well since he basically controls the brood now. Ariel could make an appearance since we havent seen her in a while but Manifold is already the teams teleporter. Gaia would be super cool to see since we havent seen her since gen-x. Cadre-K would be a cool addition since the whole empyre event, Utra Girl would also fit in wit her mutant kree ancestry. Danger is made with shiar tech so ima include her since she kinda and alien but an actual tech alien is tyro, hsi dad is on krakoa so why not include him.

I wanna see how this plays into the empyre event since the last panels were of abigail brand surrounded by destruction. Will they create an alliance since Wiccan is a mutant (even though everyone forgets he is) and is a prince of space or something. Xandra is also half mutant and shiar so theres another alliance that can be made.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    I would like to see more eXtraterrestrial mutants included in this series. Maybe Vulcan will appear since he has ties to the Shiar. An appearance or addition of alien mutants to the team would be cool. Broo would work well since he basically controls the brood now. Ariel could make an appearance since we havent seen her in a while but Manifold is already the teams teleporter. Gaia would be super cool to see since we havent seen her since gen-x. Cadre-K would be a cool addition since the whole empyre event, Utra Girl would also fit in wit her mutant kree ancestry. Danger is made with shiar tech so ima include her since she kinda and alien but an actual tech alien is tyro, hsi dad is on krakoa so why not include him.

I wanna see how this plays into the empyre event since the last panels were of abigail brand surrounded by destruction. Will they create an alliance since Wiccan is a mutant (even though everyone forgets he is) and is a prince of space or something. Xandra is also half mutant and shiar so theres another alliance that can be made.
    Actually, I'd like to see Ariel join the Marauders, if only to open doors for Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Fabian sounds very...... Not White..... dude is very white and Blond on the page are we sure?
    Please stop it with this. Fabian is a european name and most people over there are white. There is also a bunch of white people in Latin America (I am one). I know that in the states people are really not used to it and think that everybody with a Spanish or Portuguese last name must look brown, but that stereotype is simple not true. Characters like Fabian, like Manuel, and even Julio have always been presented as lighter skinned (Julio's last name is Richter for crying out loud, a german surname), so it is not whitewashing, is keeping with what has been presented before. I know the topic of whitewashing is delicate for a lot of people, but using stereotypes is not helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    There’s this place called Spain.
    There is also this place Latin America, where people come in ALL FREAKING COLORS. Really, nobody has ever watched a telenovela? Most of the actors are always white. I swear that most Americans knowledge of Latin people seem to be based on a small sample of its population (I kind of understand why, but really, we live in the era of the internet, if people can know about K-Pop bands they can also know about the nuances of the entire Latin population).
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-27-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    There is also this place Latin America, where people come in ALL FREAKING COLORS. Really, nobody has ever watched a telenovela? Most of the actors are always white. I swear that most Americans knowledge of Latin people seem to be based on a small sample of its population (I kind of understand why, but really, we live in the era of the internet, if people can know about K-Pop bands that can also know about the nuances of the entire Latin population).
    Yeaaah I think buddy was basically saying that
    lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist
    I donīt think there has been an actual confirmation of Wiccan or Speed being mutants maybe Ewing will address this on S.W.O.R.D and yes Xandra is confirmed it will be interesting to see Wiccan, Teddy, Xandra, Vulcan and the S.W.O.R.D team interact especially since it seems Teddy will need help for their army, whoever did that to the skrull/Kree alliance may be SWORD first enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    There is also this place Latin America, where people come in ALL FREAKING COLORS. Really, nobody has ever watched a telenovela? Most of the actors are always white. I swear that most Americans knowledge of Latin people seem to be based on a small sample of its population (I kind of understand why, but really, we live in the era of the internet, if people can know about K-Pop bands that can also know about the nuances of the entire Latin population).

Agreed Fabian Cortez always has been from Spain, with Red Hair and white complexion and this look while non common itīs not so unusual on Latin America either, especially Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile. In Mexico we got a lot of European migration too, most of them located in the north of the country and naturally mixed with an already mixed population.

I get that whitewashing is a real issue in most mediums in the US and the world , including comics, and yes it has to be adressed but we can do that without going to extremes. Fabian certainly is not a subject of this and never has been. His name is supposed to bring memories of Hernan Cortez so of course Fabian is despicted as a very ambitious person who has leadership skills. Now I appreaciate Claremont more for bothering looking for a real spanish last name for Fabian, not a lot of writers do that.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-27-2020 at 09:19 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post

Agreed Fabian Cortez always has been from Spain, with Red Hair and white complexion and this look while non common itīs not so unusual on Latin America either, especially Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile. In Mexico we got a lot of European migration too, most of them located in the north of the country and naturally mixed with an already mixed population.

I get that whitewashing is a real issue in most mediums in the US and the world , including comics, and yes it has to be adressed but we can do that without going to extremes. Fabian certainly is not a subject of this and never has been. His name is supposed to bring memories of Hernan Cortez so of course Fabian is despicted as a very ambitious person who has leadership skills. Now I appreaciate Claremont more for bothering looking for a real spanish last name for Fabian, not a lot of writers do that.
    I am from Chile, where a minority of the population is native american, most are Mestizo and the second largest group is white Europeans. Mestizaje is kind of a complicated topic because it was not the same all over Latin America, and there are places where the more native genes are predominant, and places (like the southern part of South America) where the European genes are. On top of that, as you said, we had waves of later European immigration that either mixed with the already mixed population or married among themselves. There is no default "look" for latin people, we come in ALL colors and ethnic groups because people immigrated there just like they did in the US (and some where forced to go there), but for some Americans you just have to look a certain way to be a proper representative of your group. Sorry, but I have had to deal with "you are obviously not REALLY Latin" to "well, you don't really look Latin" and is incredibly frustrating. I am 6"3' and light skinned and been called everything from Greek to Italian to Eastern european, because people cannot let go of freaking stereotypes.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-27-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Agreed I understand itīs annoying if I took a photo of my family some people would think we come from different places instead of being related I blame mass media mostly, it seems to have a basic template of everybody and is not willing adapt it with reality, I think thatīs why itīs important for people to call out the whitewashing as well as the lack of diversity on latin american characters, I think thereīs also something that can be done at the local level for this to work but it will take time, stereotypes donīt die out quickly unfortunately.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-27-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Getting back on topic, why does Whiz Kid look like a freaking kid still? He was around the same age as the rest of the older exterminator kids (Boom Boom and Rictor), and they are depicted as young adults, so why is still depicted as a freaking kid? Yeah, I know Marvel continuously screw ups with younger characters ages, but you would expect they would at least keep the ages of characters from the same generation consistant. It also seem to be an issue over at New Mutants. They should all be young adults by now, some of them like Warpath and Dani were even treated that way for years and now they are back with the kids?
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-27-2020 at 09:46 PM.

It is always nice to see the lesser used mutants move up to a team book.
    Last edited by danielsan52; 09-27-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume