Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed I understand itīs annoying if I took a photo of my family some people would think we come from different places instead of being related I blame mass media mostly, it seems to have a basic template of everybody and is not willing adapt it with reality, I think thatīs why itīs important for people to call out the whitewashing as well as the lack of diversity on latin american characters, I think thereīs also something that can be done at the local level for this to work but it will take time, stereotypes donīt die out quickly unfortunately.
    Yes, sadly it happens even with well intentioned people. I don't think people in this site are trying to be closed minded, is just that EVERY time that a lighter Latin character is presented in a title you have people asking why the character looks white, even though that character has always been presented like that. With Fabian and Manuel, who are supposed to be Spanish, is weird because Americans think that Spanish people (who are European) should actually look like the stereotype of latin people in the US. Same with Rictor, who has always been portrayed as a light skinned mexican with green eyes, and all of a sudden you have people complaining that he doesn't look "Latin enough" (and you know what that means). Yes, I get that people are coming at it with good intentions, but they are still applying ignorant stereotypes to these characters. That is why characters like Roberto and Cece are refreshing to me as well, because they actually represent a more complete look for latin people.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-27-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

The New Mutants officially graduated to young adults after they became X-force,Illyana, Sam, Sunspot and Dani all had stories about them already growing up and becoming leaders in their own right, still Sam and Sunspot were seen as kids while they were on the Avengers because of the difference in age. Whiz Kid has not been in a lot of teams or stories focused on him so I guess Ewing is going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest
    Yes, sadly it happens even with well intentioned people. I don't think people in this site are trying to be closed minded, is just that EVERY time that a lighter Latin character is presented in a title you have people asking why the character looks white, even though that character has always been presented like that. With Fabian and Manuel, who are supposed to be Spanish, is weird because Americans think that Spanish people (who are European) should actually look like the stereotype of latin people in the US. Same with Rictor, who has always been portrayed as a light skinned mexican with green eyes, and all of a sudden you have people complaining that he doesn't look "Latin enough" (and you know what that means). Yes, I get that people are coming at it with good intentions, but they are still applying ignorant stereotypes to these characters. That is why characters like Roberto and Cece are refreshing to me as well, because they actually represent a more complete look for latin people.
    I think is part of the moment because people unfamiliar with latin america most probably will believe thereīs some kind of whitewashing, I think the wish itself to make media acurately despict characters as real people is a good one but as you said, lest do that without falling into the old stereotypes while we are doing that.

Yes I also love Roberto and Cecila a lot, I actually got into X-men comics on her firts appareance and I just loved her character and motivations and the fact she just wanted to be a doctor even if she became quite good at using her powers and becoming an X-man, she has been pretty focused on Hickmanīs era but it would be nice to see her showing her old temper again.

Roberto really shinned with the Avengers Ewing and Hickman did him a lot of good, I hope he appears on this title too
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-27-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    The New Mutants officially graduated to young adults after they became X-force,Illyana, Sam, Sunspot and Dania all had stories about them already growing up and becoming leaders in their own right, still Sam and Sunspot were seen as kids while they were on the Avengers because of the difference in age. Whiz Kid has not been in a lot of teams or stories focused on him so I guess Ewing is going to change that.
    Is just weird to me that a character (whiz kid) that was portrayed to be around the same age as Boomer and Rictor still looks like he did when he debuted more or less, and the rest of the kids of that same generation are adults by now. I don't need Whiz Kid to be the same age as Frenzy, but he should at least look like the other characters from his same generation.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Is just weird to me that a character (whiz kid) that was portrayed to be around the same age as Boomer and Rictor still looks like he did when he debuted more or less, and the rest of the kids of that same generation are adults by now. I don't need Whiz Kid to be the same age as Frenzy, but he should at least look like the other characters from his same generation.
    Lest hope it happens on this title there are a lot of young characters who seem to never grow up while others grow up way too quickly, marvel time scale becomes a problem because you canīt have young characters grow too much without aging up other characters and for some reason marvel wants itīs characters to stay on their 20īs and 30īs with some exceptions.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Getting back on topic, why does Whiz Kid look like a freaking kid still? He was around the same age as the rest of the older exterminator kids (Boom Boom and Rictor), and they are depicted as young adults, so why is still depicted as a freaking kid?
    He was a lil older than Artie and Leech as he went to their elementary school rather than go to the "high school"(?) With Boomer Rictor Skids etc
    GrindrStone(D)

Mmm, but even then he should still look older than he does in those previews, but then again, the New Mutants went from teenagers to young adults yet Artie and Leech remained kids so who knows. Maybe is just the art, as most artists have issues drawing teenage characters correctly as they always end up looking like kids (case in point Franklin Richards who is supposed to be 16 but looks 12 in the F4 series) but Whiz Kid looks exactly as he did in his earlier appearances and he should be 18-20 then.

Artie is an odd case. He was already 11 when he got his mutantion, so he should be way older than Franklin who was 3 or 4 back then.
    But they want him to be that adorable mute little kid who hugs people and stuff.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

> blond guy
    > Fabian Cortez

Rob Liefield was right. Watch the 90s cartoon once in a while.
    "Cable was right!"

Mmm, but even then he should still look older than he does in those previews, but then again, the New Mutants went from teenagers to young adults yet Artie and Leech remained kids so who knows. Maybe is just the art, as most artists have issues drawing teenage characters correctly as they always end up looking like kids (case in point Franklin Richards who is supposed to be 16 but looks 12 in the F4 series) but Whiz Kid looks exactly as he did in his earlier appearances and he should be 18-20 then.
    i could totally see him and Franklin being the same age which makes the X-Terminators shopping spree outfit choices way way bizarre
    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Artie is an odd case. He was already 11 when he got his mutantion, so he should be way older than Franklin who was 3 or 4 back then.
    But they want him to be that adorable mute little kid who hugs people and stuff.
    Artie uses his holograms to communicate with the outside world right? Wouldn't it be beyond creepy if it was revealed Artie is actually a full grown adult who wanted the world to see him as a kid thus Artie kept his holographic power wrapped up around him the we time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    > blond guy
    > Fabian Cortez

Rob Liefield was right. Watch the 90s cartoon once in a while.
    Dude right...like you sound so ignorant.. Pick a book sometime, open that book , then put that book down and watch some X-Men:TAS on tv or your phone
    Graydon Creed...
    Sabertooth...
    Fabian Cortez...voice actors were phenomenal to me as a kid...Sabertooth always sounded like he was on the verge of madness
    Graydon Creed...like father like son
    GrindrStone(D)

Tbh I've met plenty of Spanish people who can pass for Arab/North African. (North Africa and Spain have a connection). But I've also met Latinos who have Italian or German ancestry and it shows. I think people forget that white latinos are a thing and Europeans also have diverse looks(outside of the non-white europeans).
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 09-28-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I still can't get over that Brand is running away to Krakoa to start and lead a new organization doing the thing she completely failed to do at the last place she worked at.

Someone said earlier that Wiccan could get involved. If Wanda isn't a mutant than neither is he or Speed. Or at least that's how I think it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Tbh I've met plenty of Spanish people who can pass for Arab/North African. (North Africa and Spain have a connection). But I've also met Latinos who have Italian or German ancestry and it shows. I think people forget that white latinos are a thing and Europeans also have diverse looks(outside of the non-white europeans).
    Nooo we know. We ALL Know
    Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Someone said earlier that Wiccan could get involved.
    Ugh if he is I hope Taki kept his 'Spell Checker' from waaaaay back in Inferno and just end him
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Someone said earlier that Wiccan could get involved. If Wanda isn't a mutant than neither is he or Speed. Or at least that's how I think it goes.
    He's not a mutant but him and his hubby are the Kings of Space so they'll probably show up frequently in a consulting role.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Yes, I know that there are plenty of Spanish people with darker features, they were under Moorish domination for close to 800 years, same as with southern Italians. My point was that people in the states shouldn't freak out when presented with Spanish people with blonde/red hair and lighter features as they are common too especially in the northern regions. Same with white latin Americans as european immigration was a thing there as well (I am Italian-Spanish and yes, it shows with me). That is exactly why things like "that doesn't sound like a white name" or "I cannot speak Spanish, I am white" are bothersome to me, even when said in jest, or in this case when people are trying to be inclusive but end up using stereotypes to justify that inclusiveness. It would be the same as to deny CeCe or Roberto's latin identity because they are black or part black.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-28-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

My family is Italian, some of us are fair skinned and have natural red hair.