Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't want a writer who "love the flash family", I want a writer who genuinely cares and want to do something with Barry.
    Agreed. If he's the main character I'd rather see someone who's actually interested in actually using Barry's character and not just another Flash family, Reverse Flash, and Rogue's story.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Matt Fraction and David Marquez on a Barry book, and Tom Taylor and Pasqual Ferry on a Wally book.

(Let a man dream)
    I like it. I think that could be a great fit.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Matt Fraction would be great for a Flash-related title. I always thought Fraction's Hawkeye approach would work perfectly for the Flash.

Other candidates would be Gail Simone and G. Willow Wilson. Gail has already written Flash. Wilson is great with humor and family scenarios. She would rock a Flash family book, and I would love to see how she handles Irey and Jai.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Matt Fraction would be great for a Flash-related title. I always thought Fraction's Hawkeye approach would work perfectly for the Flash.

Other candidates would be Gail Simone and G. Willow Wilson. Gail has already written Flash. Wilson is great with humor and family scenarios. She would rock a Flash family book, and I would love to see how she handles Irey and Jai.
    This. If we can't get two books, then share the main book. One issue for Wally, one issue for Barry. Fraction can definitely pull it off.

Gail's pretty chill but I'm not a fan of her Rogues. Willow Wilson would have killed on a Wally title if he was single and younger. I would probably vouch for her if we were talking about an Impulse book.

Kate Thompson, Nick Spencer (since Didio is gone he can also return) and Gene Luen Yang would be my picks as well.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Which modern day writer really gets the character of Barry Allen and knows how to use the character well?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Which modern day writer really gets the character of Barry Allen and knows how to use the character well?

Morrison wrote a great Barry in the Wild Hunt issue of Metal, at least I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

Williamson was the best writer when he wasn’t forced by editorial to make him sad and depressed.
    Morrison & Waid have also good voices.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    You are legitimately the first person I've seen say they didn't like it. I've seen other people say they like it in spite of the art, admittedly. Oh well.
    It's been decades since I read it, so perhaps I'll feel differently if I ever re-read it, but the art kinda drained the energy out of the whole thing. It's got some cool stuff in it though. I wouldn't say a disliked it, just indifferent, which is saying a lot given how much I generally like Morrison's superhero stuff.

We should at least get 2 books, it's only right.
    Last edited by 9th.; 09-24-2020 at 12:28 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

I see many people are talking about two books, but the question is Flash can hold two books? I think the answer is not. Not, because I believe DC has no intention to make two Flash books when Flash sells mediocre, despite the TV series is a hit.

Astonishing Member

It's worth trying. Despite years of squalor Wally had a very well selling comic for two decades that was never canceled for sales. It's certainly worth doing over the umpteenth "Batman and some random group of dudes"

Flash also isn't a mediocre seller.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-24-2020 at 07:57 AM.

Yeah, I think we're definitely at a point where at least an attempt should be made at having more than one Flash book.

Bear in mind Flash has released twice a month for the last four years, so having two monthly books is actually only the same amount of content. Two monthly books starring different members of the family would allow more of them to be showcased than the current single double shipping Barry book. If they had two books and one or both was a double shipper, then that's great, but we know the franchise can support 24 issues a year.

And here's the numbers from March's sales chart:

And February's:

30k is actually pretty decent sales, and Wally's book sold roughly the same as Barry's!
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-24-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I don't want a writer who "love the flash family", I want a writer who genuinely cares and want to do something with Barry.
    THIS. I got a concussion from being hammered non stop about the Flash Family. Iris was in EVERYTHING, she's worse than an overwritten action junkie that thinks she's equal to powered people in a fight. She dressed up in capers, complained about being carried to safety and wanted to take on everybody because she SPUNKY and TOUGH and she's the LOVE OF ETERNITY for Barry. And if you don't believe it Williamson's run is gonna tell you over and over again! They should just give her her own freaking book. She ain't that interesting.

I'd like to see some modernized stories blending magic, science and cosmic. And retire all the legacy cornball stuff like the treadmill. Seriously there was no need to bring that back. It looks clunky and stupid now...as dumb as Superman with a Jetpack.

Plus if you're gonna develop and expand a character you have to distinguish him/her from the SUPPORTING CAST or you get a muddled, frustrating mess. This next villian sounds interesting. Solicits did say Barry is going to learn new ways of using the SF so I'm encouraged by that.

Got tired of the 'paint by the numbers' speedsters. Meena's so called ability to track speedsters is something any of them can do. It was a desperate attempt to make her unique.

The forces stuff=junk. Too green lantern for me. And why has BF stopped going after the remaining force users? He get bored? Now they too are stuffed into the 'family' despte not really knowing anybody!

And please...no more "Barry was chosen because he's a good guy with hope." You're gonna have to give more than that. I felt his intellect was not played up enough.

I wouldn't mind Morrison if they could get some nice art, none of that gritty mess. Loved the Manapaul run for the most part, at least they did more stuff with Barry, not Barry and a cast of thousands.
    Last edited by BooCoo; 09-25-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason did a fine job on Superman so I'd like to see them on the Flash