Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who Would You Want As The Wonder Woman Writer For The Relaunch?

Threads like these seem to be popping up for other characters at the moment, so I'd thought I'd ask the question here but assuming Tamaki doesn't stay past her current Max Lord arc and if there's a relaunch in January, who would you want to taker over as the new writer?

To throw my hat in the ring, I know it'd be a long shot but I'd probably say Renae De Liz given she's apparently working with DC again. Figured if if DC wants to stick by Diana debuting in WW2 she wouldn't be a bad pick considering she already handled that and could probably incorporate stuff she had planned for the follow-up to Legend of Wonder Woman.

At the very least I want a professional comic writer who knows how to tell solid, enjoyable, stories and understands the mythos enough to use it well and can write Diana as effective and enjoyable.

I'm not quite sure who that writer is, but that's what I'm hoping for .

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Nora K. Jemisin. Her work in Far Sector is brilliant.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'd like to see one of the following take over the title:

Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Phil Jimenez
    Renae De Liz
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    In some ways Jemisin would be beyond perfect. A superior stylist who also is extremely woke and a great world-builder, and who is more than capable of complex plotting.

But she is at a stage in her career where she can basically do whatever she wants (three best novel Hugos three years in a row is something never before achieved, and it's not like she faced weak opposition), and I don't see her wanting to do the grind of two issues a month. I can also see a similar thing happening with her as with Wilson, where the strong vision that writers of that caliber can provide (a) provide whiplash for the readers, (b) is torn apart by editorial demands on story events and crossovers.

What I think I'd like to see most of all is a writer who can bring some levity back to Wonder Woman, who gets to write their story free from strict editorial constraints, and who is ready to discuss the interaction between Wonder Woman and the world, and perhaps is starting out their writing career, just as Miller did when he wrote DKR or Pérez did when he started his run of Wonder Woman. And who can bring back the kink to Wonder Woman without kink-shaming.

The name I'd toss out here is Ursula Vernon.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At the very least I want a professional comic writer who knows how to tell solid, enjoyable, stories and understands the mythos enough to use it well and can write Diana as effective and enjoyable.

I'm not quite sure who that writer is, but that's what I'm hoping for .
    Not sure who that really is either given how much the book comes off as the one people are assigned to, not the one they seek out.
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Haven’t read it but heard good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'd like to see one of the following take over the title:

Kelly Sue DeConnick
    Phil Jimenez
    Renae De Liz
    Thought of saving Jimenez also given he’d have at least a, somewhat, better status quo to work with than he did last time but mostly tried to avoid listing people who have already had a run on the mainline book.

DeConnick could work depending on how well Historia goes and how she wrote Diana in the Aquaman guest-star appearance.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-23-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

DeConnick might be my top choice depending on how Historia plays out. Judging by what the art seems to be doing based on her script, she seems to to know what she's doing.

I've not read anything by Nora K. Jemisin, but she has a great reputation so I'd definitely be intrigued if she got the job.

Someone who fully understands Diana, the amazons and wants to take it all forward.

Someone who has read a lot of Marston, Perez, and Rucka and can continue to push the character, her villains, and her world in the direction that it needs to go (up).

Someone who won't come in and use the title for their own pet characters (Maggie, Jason, all of Azz's characters).

Someone who knows more than just Cheetah and Giganta, and is willing to flesh out and elevate villains that haven't been used in a while, like Queen Clea, Decay, or Osira.

Someone who gets that Diana resorts to violence only when absolutely necessary.

Someone who can incorporate some sass and fun into the Wonder Woman character, like the Golden Age.

Someone with a consistent artist to work alongside.

I don't think I'm asking for much.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Someone who has read a lot of Marston, Perez, and Rucka and can continue to push the character, her villains, and her world in the direction that it needs to go (up).

Someone who won't come in and use the title for their own pet characters (Maggie, Jason, all of Azz's characters).

Someone who knows more than just Cheetah and Giganta, and is willing to flesh out and elevate villains that haven't been used in a while, like Queen Clea, Decay, or Osira.

Someone who gets that Diana resorts to violence only when absolutely necessary.

Someone who can incorporate some sass and fun into the Wonder Woman character, like the Golden Age.

Someone with a consistent artist to work alongside.

I don't think I'm asking for much.

Love all of this! I'd only add that the writer wants to also build up her existing supportive cast of Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, Hippolyta, Nubia, and Artemis.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

I want a writer that would portray Wonder Woman as a leader, diplomat, and warrior. Not a follower, dictator, or cheerleader.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    I want a writer that would portray Wonder Woman as a leader, diplomat, and warrior. Not a follower, dictator, or cheerleader.
    I feel that's a depiction more common in event or team/ensemble books rather WW's solo titles, even in the runs on the character I didn't like.

I’d like to see Simone get another shot like Rucka did. For new blood though? Mairghread Scott, she wrote a great Batgirl run I hear, and she wrote Apokolips War which I enjoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I feel that's a depiction more common in event or team/ensemble books rather WW's solo titles, even in the runs on the character I didn't like.
    Yeah Diana isn’t a psycho in her solo. She’s mostly just inept and impotent which is a separate problem.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Love all of this! I'd only add that the writer wants to also build up her existing supportive cast of Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, Hippolyta, Nubia, and Artemis.
    Yes, all of this. I would love to see Steve Orlando or Gail Simone teamed up with Phil Jiminez and told to just make it great.
    Other writers I think i would like would be the aforementioned Mairghread Scott, Cecil Castelluci, KSD or dream of dreams Mike Carey or Paul Cornell.
    Jim Lee wants to draw an iconic run...give him a story by Gail, Mike or Paul....heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d like to see Simone get another shot like Rucka did. For new blood though? Mairghread Scott, she wrote a great Batgirl run I hear, and she wrote Apokolips War which I enjoyed.

Yeah Diana isn’t a psycho in her solo. She’s mostly just inept and impotent which is a separate problem.
    Yes, if they were bringing back older writers Simone would also be one I’d like to see on a second run aside from Jimenez. The current status quo isn’t ideal but she’d have better ground to work on than her first run did.

I also considered Scott, she was one of the writers on Bloodlines which I thought I was decent enough despite how many story points it tried to cram in.