Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Donald Troy, Schmonulfroyd--what's the Wonder Woman comic need male Wonders for?

Seriously...why can't a time-travelling King Tut or Sinbad do just as well, if not better, than a Wonder Boy? When I was a boy, I wouldn't have wanted to see a boy protegee of Diana's, lounging around in a little, matching flag-inspired costume! He could even be a little boy-Cheetah or a bird-boy or Boy Beowulf--why not?!

I'd want him to be an impish, little rascal, with his own magic and weapons, maybe, some of the same powers - superhuman strength and speed, fighting skills, ..but, that's it. He doesn't need to be a Wonder Boy or an Amazon, ..anymore than TV's Andros had to be a Wonder Man.

Why not Peter Pan or Young Pan, the goat-boy god?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I don't see what's wrong with a wonderboy. Diana and Steve could be trapped in some dimension that's frozen in time where they have a little boy, they raise and train him till he's like 12 where at that point Zatana or Fate finds a way to free them. Then TADA, Diana has a son in continuity who is the next wonderboy. With Diana being a goddess and Steve a mortal that would make their son a demigod, he could be like the Percy Jackson of the DC universe.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Can't say this is a hole in WW's world that I thought ever needed filling. Though like Odyssey/Injustice soured me on WW pants designs, Jason has kind of poisoned the well for me on "Wonder Boy/Male counterpart superheroes" in Diana's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Can't say this is a hole in WW's world that I thought ever needed filling. Though like Odyssey/Injustice soured me on WW pants designs, Jason has kind of poisoned the well for me on "Wonder Boy/Male counterpart superheroes" in Diana's book.
    Definitely do not want a clone of WW flying around that just happens to be male, the only clone of Diana I will accept is Donna. Jason was a terrible concept, a bad start, and even worse execution. A wonderboy, a legitimate child of Diana and Steve, offers a lot of different roads to explore if written properly. Clark and Bruce have children, we get to see how they raise them and act as heroes/parents, why not Diana? She is unique as a hero parent in the DC universe, like Thor she has a magical place filled with magic and warriors and Gods, There is amazon teachings we get to see through his eyes. Diana could get Wondergirl, who would be like 22, to babysit little 12 year old (Trevor? Miles? Nicholas? Griffin? Evan? I'm working on names Diana would give a son) DC universe's personal Percy Jackson, It would sell.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Have you ever considered that there is a reason you seem to be the only person who keeps asking this question? It's because there isn't a market for this type of thing. If DC won't give a solo book to Artemis or any of the Wonder Girls, characters the audience already likes, why would they devote time and energy to a book about a Wonder Boy almost no one is asking for?

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Definitely do not want a clone of WW flying around that just happens to be male, the only clone of Diana I will accept is Donna. Jason was a terrible concept, a bad start, and even worse execution. A wonderboy, a legitimate child of Diana and Steve, offers a lot of different roads to explore if written properly. Clark and Bruce have children, we get to see how they raise them and act as heroes/parents, why not Diana? She is unique as a hero parent in the DC universe, like Thor she has a magical place filled with magic and warriors and Gods, There is amazon teachings we get to see through his eyes. Diana could get Wondergirl, who would be like 22, to babysit little 12 year old (Trevor? Miles? Nicholas? Griffin? Evan? I'm working on names Diana would give a son) DC universe's personal Percy Jackson, It would sell.
    Diana having a child in an out-of-continuity series could be interesting, yes. But in the main continuity at the moment, I think it'd just turn into either a Donna/Cassie situation where they'd end up not interacting all that much Diana or a Jason situation where they'd take over the book.

Plus, with a boy I think it's almost a certainty DC writers would use a "male child of Diana" to use another "Amazons need to be called out on their misandry" storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with a wonderboy...Diana being a goddess and Steve a mortal that would make their son a demigod, he could be like the Percy Jackson of the DC universe.
    Why'd you have to go and make that sound so fun?! It almost makes me sorry I asked why we need a Wonder Boy...almost. And 'Percy Jackson of the DC universe' sounds so perfectly sensible, as to make us ponder why DC Comics hasn't done that, before - a Wonder Camp for Amazon boys! I would have eaten that up, as a kid, even if the guys had to wear little, star-spangled outfits.

Wonder Camp! That's stuck in my head, forever! I love it! Love it!

Diana having a child in an out-of-continuity series could be interesting, yes. But in the main continuity at the moment...with a boy I think it's almost a certainty DC writers would use a "male child of Diana" to use another "Amazons need to be called out on their misandry" storyline.
    I think you're probably right. You're dead-on.

However, ..Wonder Woman occasionally mentoring a time-travelling boy Odin might junk the misandry argument, in a way Amazons training Donald Troy could not. Imagine...fans, like myself, charging the Amazons - I usually blame the editors, though - with misandry, and other fans countering, by pointing out KID ODIN! Seeing Diana training him to be a good, future king of Asgard, and he's not even an Amazon - that would end the argument, before it ever started.

Maybe, DC's Odin, having seen the merciful and just way Diana that handled Gundra, could send a metaphysical aspect of himself into Diana's timeline, foreseeing it would make him a wiser, better king to be tutored by her. Perhaps, Odin could stave of the inevitable Ragnarok, by tempering his often cataclysmic impulses, with Diana's virtuous influence. What a compliment, that would be to Wonder Woman and to the Amazons, also!

What if she mentored Boy Beowulf or Kid Horus? With an Amazon prince, like Donald Troy, there's an unwritten obligation to train him...care for him. Comparatively, there would be no such obligation to care for Beowulf, Sinbad or Horus, and her mentoring him would be as virtuous, an act, as Batman training Robin...Green Arrow and Speedy, etc. I think it would mean something more, if she trained a non-Wonder, than if [say...] Donna had trained her own half-Amazon son.

And it would be so-ooo cool! OMG, would I have wanted to be Wonder Woman's boy protegee, Kid Odin, when I was seven or eight!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-03-2020 at 05:44 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Have you ever considered that there is a reason you seem to be the only person who keeps asking this question? It's because there isn't a market for this type of thing. If DC won't give a solo book to Artemis or any of the Wonder Girls, characters the audience already likes, why would they devote time and energy to a book about a Wonder Boy almost no one is asking for?
    They are not. Donald Troy will only appear in a 8 page story of DC’s Very Merry Multiverse, and that's it. And he isn't even the focus of the story, Kid Quick is.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    They are not. Donald Troy will only appear in a 8 page story of DC’s Very Merry Multiverse, and that's it. And he isn't even the focus of the story, Kid Quick is.
    Where did anybody get the idea that Donald Troy would be the star of this thing? Not me.

The WW comic mythos is in such a pitiable state of underdevelopment, that I don't think Cassie, Artemis, Donald, Hippolyta or any other Wonder family character, other than Miss Thing, ..is positioned to carry its own series. If anybody's got a different idea about any of Diana's subs marqueeing her or his own comic, I don't think discussing it is too far off-topic, ..and accept the challenge.

I think everyone here knows Donna Troy is the only Wonder, with even a modicum of a chance of heading her own comic series. I've already mused, ad infinitum, that I think her best use, in the Wonderverse, ..would be to become the protectress of a small town, in the American Northwest - a localized, more accessible, more American Wonder Woman. One of my Donna fantasy-comics makes her a small town doctor, following Diana's invention of the Purple Ray (to save Steve), in Marston's original WW origin. In another, I imagine Donna, as a heroic blogger, protecting her small town with journalism, by light, and superheroics, ..as Troy. Anyway, ..Donna's the only Wonder I've ever thought could carry her own comic, ..and still is.

Now, that we're all clear on that...sure, I'd LOVE to see Wonder Woman's adventures infrequently (like almost next to never) joined by some boy, with similar powers, who isn't related to Diana or her Amazons, ..or Batman or Superman. Furthermore, I am especially affirmed in the infrequent boy companion NOT being an Amazon-kin, after seeing Donald Troy, in all his starry, ridiculous glory.

No one here is suggesting Donald Troy is the star of anything or that he or any boy companion of Donna's or Diana's ..should headline his own comic.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-03-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: clarity

Astonishing Member

They don't need male Wonders. They're just fun to have sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Where did anybody get the idea that Donald Troy would be the star of this thing? Not me.

The WW comic mythos is in such a pitiable state of underdevelopment, that I don't think Cassie, Artemis, Donald, Hippolyta or any other Wonder family character, other than Miss Thing, ..is positioned to carry its own series. If anybody's got a different idea about any of Diana's subs marqueeing her or his own comic, I don't think discussing it is too far off-topic, ..and accept the challenge.

I think everyone here knows Donna Troy is the only Wonder, with even a modicum of a chance of heading her own comic series. I've already mused, ad infinitum, that I think her best use, in the Wonderverse, ..would be to become the protectress of a small town, in the American Northwest - a localized, more accessible, more American Wonder Woman. One of my Donna fantasy-comics makes her a small town doctor, following Diana's invention of the Purple Ray (to save Steve), in Marston's original WW origin. In another, I imagine Donna, as a heroic blogger, protecting her small town with journalism, by light, and superheroics, ..as Troy. Anyway, ..Donna's the only Wonder I've ever thought could carry her own comic, ..and still is.

Now, that we're all clear on that...sure, I'd LOVE to see Wonder Woman's adventures infrequently (like almost next to never) joined by some boy, with similar powers, who isn't related to Diana or her Amazons, ..or Batman or Superman. Furthermore, I am especially affirmed in the infrequent boy companion NOT being an Amazon-kin, after seeing Donald Troy, in all his starry, ridiculous glory.

No one here is suggesting Donald Troy is the star of anything or that he or any boy companion of Donna's or Diana's ..should headline his own comic.
    All i'm saying is that he is going to be in a 8 story page and nothing else, that is such a non issue for me.

I agreed that Donna has the potential for a comic book of her own, and i would love that, but she isn't the only Wonder with that potential, case in point that Yara Flor probably is getting her own book sometime in the future, probably in March, acording to Joelle Jones.

Agreed. Before, I would've loved a Wonder Boy who looks up to Diana the way Donna and Cassie do. Now that I know DC's idea of a Wonder Boy is a twin brother that has flashier and stronger powers than Diana, I'll pass.

I also think they should halt off on making anymore Wonders. We just got Yara Flor, we don't need anymore for a while. There should be more focus on the ones we do have.

BANNED

The only reason I can imagine having a male Wonder in this franchise is to explore male femininity as a juxtaposition against female masculinity.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Donald Troy's entire existence is in an eight page story that is set on the Earth where everyone is genderbent. That means that Wonder Woman there would also be Wonder Man. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I also don't think that there's entirely an issue with having a male member of the wonder family pop up; controversial opinion, but I actually like Jason and think that he would've been a good answer to Captain Wonder. In general I'd prefer that the Wonder Family be expanded and have more characters who are distinct from Diana in more ways than just also including men. This is also why I prefer it when Hippolyta doesn't have black hair - she doesn't need to be blonde but it's better when she doesn't inherently look like a 1:1 copy of Diana.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont think Wonder Woman needs a male sidekick but it isnt something I would hate if it done right. But I also feel like he'd be instantly treated better than Donna/Cassie ever have been.

But I could easily see a young New God/demi god who is inspired by Diana and who she takes under her wing as a sidekick.