Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I don’t remember the communists being very peaceful. I won’t mention any names. USSR, China, North Korea, Vietnam. Did I forget any? As for the Middle East? They have been fighting for 5000 years. Long before capitalism was around. Take your politics somewhere else.
    Without that military complex free people would be attacked and killed from tyrannical governments. Those that don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You really should take your politics somewhere else. This is a comic book forum. I might add without capitalism there would be no comic books. You would be reading tyrannical propaganda. I’ll stick with capitalism and freedom to read whatever I want.
    1. I take the irony of telling people to "take their politics elsewhere" only to go on a political rant yourself has went over your head? It's also an act of entitlement, don't you think? Thinking that only you and people who agree with you are entitled to expressing their opinions here?

2. Facts are facts, my guy. It is a fact that Iron Man (2008) is a critique of the MIC and that his stories were meant to political. This isn't a conspiracy theory. Have a look at what Stan the Man said about Iron Man or what Tony says in the Iron Man films. Iron Man is where you explore those ideas.

3. Distinctions drawn between politics and art are meaningless. Art is part of culture which is political.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 09-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Dazzler should stay in the 80s. Her being in any other time period just feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    1. I take the irony of telling people to "take their politics elsewhere" only to go on a political rant yourself has went over your head? It's also an act of entitlement, don't you think? Thinking that only you and people who agree with you are entitled to expressing their opinions here?

2. Facts are facts, my guy. It is a fact that Iron Man (2008) is a critique of the MIC and that his stories were meant to political. This isn't a conspiracy theory. Have a look at what Stan the Man said about Iron Man or what Tony says in the Iron Man films. Iron Man is where you explore those ideas.

3. Distinctions drawn between politics and art are meaningless. Art is part of culture which is political.
    “Sadly, as long as capitalism exists.”

Politics never work well in these forums. It detracts from the main focus and that is the comic books. That’s just my opinion. Capitalism is far from perfect but I haven’t seen anything better yet. I have seen a lot of failed idealogies in the past though.

Astonishing Member

“Sadly, as long as capitalism exists.”

Politics never work well in these forums. It detracts from the main focus and that is the comic books. That’s just my opinion. Capitalism is far from perfect but I haven’t seen anything better yet. I have seen a lot of failed idealogies in the past though.
    "Politics never work well in these forums. It detracts from the main focus and that is the comic books."

"Capitalism is far from perfect but I haven’t seen anything better yet. I have seen a lot of failed idealogies in the past though."

Spectacular Member

Captain America. He is just too old now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Captain America. He is just too old now.
    Anything more specific?

While I find the idea that he's innately more pure than everyone else grating, he's hardly too old for Marvel Comics.

And that explanation they came up with in Avengers #4 serves Steve well - physically, he's in his 30s, even though chronologically, he's nearly 100. He isn't too old.

Tony doesn't need Communism tied to his origin either, he sold weapons to the military, that doesn't apply to any specific opponent. It is a problem for a few of his rogues though, notably Crimson Dynamo. The Mandarin is a yellow peril villain too, which is considered racist nowadays.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    ...Luke Cage and Iron Fist, since they were inspired by movie genres(Blaxploitation and Kung Fu) most popular during that decade.
    I tend agree on Iron Fist, and The Daughters of the Dragon. Cage is another matter. Unfortunately, we had conditions that lend themselves to such a counter-privilege character long before Cage came along, and we still do.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And that explanation they came up with in Avengers #4 serves Steve well - physically, he's in his 30s, even though chronologically, he's nearly 100. He isn't too old.

Tony doesn't need Communism tied to his origin either, he sold weapons to the military, that doesn't apply to any specific opponent. It is a problem for a few of his rogues though, notably Crimson Dynamo. The Mandarin is a yellow peril villain too, which is considered racist nowadays.
    For what it's worth, I did like Mark Millar's subtle update to many of those villains in Marvel Knights Spider-Man, that instead of being created by the Soviets trying to get a leg up on the Americans, they were created by crooked industrialists and politicians here in America that wanted to distract the then-nascent superhero population from addressing and rectifying their own greater crimes against society and humanity. That was an update I thought really worked, and would make the classic Marvel villains more timely and yet timeless, ultimately being the result of the machinations of corrupt actors in business, government, and politics who wanted the public and the heroes occupied with more overtly destructive displays of criminality and villainy compared to the more insidious criminality and villainy practiced by those same corrupt individuals.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    For what it's worth, I did like Mark Millar's subtle update to many of those villains in Marvel Knights Spider-Man, that instead of being created by the Soviets trying to get a leg up on the Americans, they were created by crooked industrialists and politicians here in America that wanted to distract the then-nascent superhero population from addressing and rectifying their own greater crimes against society and humanity. That was an update I thought really worked, and would make the classic Marvel villains more timely and yet timeless, ultimately being the result of the machinations of corrupt actors in business, government, and politics who wanted the public and the heroes occupied with more overtly destructive displays of criminality and villainy compared to the more insidious criminality and villainy practiced by those same corrupt individuals.
    I always felt that that was comically over the top, even by comic book standards.

magneto cant be moved from the holocaust and the mcu should and likely will just write something to make that possible, it is the beating heart of the character

iron man books rarely get into military stuff beyond that being bad enough for him to stop doing that, but they should definitely get into it more because it remains relevant and it was the focus of his best movie

globalism bad
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    magneto cant be moved from the holocaust and the mcu should and likely will just write something to make that possible, it is the beating heart of the character...
    Genocidal oppression have never been in short supply in our world. In the 1990s, he could easily have been moved to any of the former Yugoslavic republics. With race bending, he could be moved to China today, or a Native American from the US. For that matter, he could be remade as a Palestinian today.

As for the "something to make it possible," it's already been done.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Magneto and his (then) entire Brotherhood got de-aged to infants in a Defenders story that came along while the X-Men's title was on hiatus. Claremont had a Shiar agent re-age him to his physical prime early in his run. They can get away with Xavier being his contemporary because Xavier inhabits a cloned body after his original was consumed by The Brood...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always felt that that was comically over the top, even by comic book standards.
    Maybe, but even in that light, it's a superhero comic take on how prisons in real life are stuffed full of violent criminals and petty offenders that everyone scorns and fears, though the ones who do the most damage to society as a whole are virtually untouched and untouchable because they can use wealth, political power, and personal connections to make the law work in their favor.
    The spider is always on the hunt.