Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Spider-Man villains can Batman villains. Who has the best rogue’s in comics?

It’s really splitting hairs between the two, but I feel Batman has become really Joker centric in recent years, causing some of his villains to fall into obscurity. I mean when is the last time The Mad Hatter has been used in anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    It’s really splitting hairs between the two, but I feel Batman has become really Joker centric in recent years, causing some of his villains to fall into obscurity. I mean when is the last time The Mad Hatter has been used in anything?
    It’s all subjective..of course.

I marginally prefer the Spider-Man villains...but not sure he sets the “gold standard” for Marvel villains cast list...I’d have thought that was the Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

I marginally prefer the Spider-Man villains...but not sure he sets the “gold standard” for Marvel villains cast list...I’d have thought that was the Fantastic Four.
    I wouldnt say FF over Spiderman. I mean people who dont really know about comics do know about Doctor Doom. But do they really know about The Super Skrull, Mole Man, Blasstar, Or Puppet Master?

Where as most people know about Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin and Doc Ock.

I would say out of Batman and Spiderman I like Spiderman Villains the best. You are right the last few years Batman's rogues have been limited.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-23-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I wouldnt say FF over Spiderman. I mean people who dont really know about comics do know about Doctor Doom. But do they really know about The Super Skrull, Mole Man, Blasstar, Or Puppet Master?

Where as most people know about Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin and Doc Ock.

I would say out of Batman and Spiderman I like Spiderman Villains the best. You are right the last few years Batman's rogues have been limited.
    Do you really think widespread awareness among non comic readers= best??

I don’t.

But happy to admit that it’s all subjective...and Fantastic Four comics have given me even more pleasure than Spider-man or Batman, with a lot of that being down to the villains.

I suppose a fair number of the villains are nuanced in FF...I’d include Submariner and Galactus for example,although these are not outright villains. (And all the better for it.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-23-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Do you really think widespread awareness among non comic readers= best??
    I wouldnt say best. maybe as far as pop culture goes.

But even with Fantastic Four I wouldnt say they have the best villains. Like you said its all subjective but to me take out a couple of The FF big bads and the rest dont really hold up well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'm a little Joker-ed out to be honest. I just turn away when I see anything joker related. Harley especially so.

The Fantastic Four have two of the best villains not only in marvel, but in comics over all. It's really hard to top Galactus and Dr. Doom, but once you set past those two, the rest of their baddies are rather lacking.

Mighty Member

I prefer blue collar villains as opposed to psychopaths, so I'm privy to Spiderman's rogues. Batman's rogue gallery is mostly head cases, even if they are some of my favs (Two Face ect)

Batman's villains beyond a shadow of a doubt. Some of the most tragic backstories of any bad guy.

I like Spidey's rogues gallery more than I do any other Marvel hero's (possibly because many of them would fit in Bats' rogues gallery), but once you get writers going "I think Doctor Octopus would a better Spider-Man than Spider-Man", I'm out. And Marvel thinks so little of Spidey's rogues gallery that had their 'kool' new character Kaine kill most of them off to show how badass he was (you can tell he was cool and edgy 'cause he spelt his name with a 'K'). I'm assuming most of them have subsequently been brought back to life, but I haven't read any Spider-Man in years.

Both good but from different power tiers so a bit difficult to compare. I think Batman has a longer list of good villains.

Spider-Man top villains: Venom, Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Kingpin, Kraven the Hunter, Carnage, Scorpion, Sandman, Electro, Mysterio

Batman top villains: Joker, Ra’s, Two-Face, Riddler, Bane, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Penguin, Killer Croc, Clayface, Mad Hatter, Mr. Freeze, Harley, Deadshot

BANNED

Comparing Batman villains to Spider-Man villains isn't easy because the two aren't on the same playing field.

In the case of Spider-Man, in the comics, he has been in one continuity (616). In the case of Batman, in the comics, he has been in multiple (Golden, Silver, Post-Crisis, New 52).

Spider-Man's villains have been more consistent in characterization whereas Batman's villains have been all over the place. The versions of Batman villains that people love by and large tend to come from adaptations rather than ongoing monthly comics and that rarely goes back to the comics.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Batman's are too ridiculous and OTT for me. And I cannot stand Harley Quinn on any level. His villains are the #2 reason I don't like The Bat.

I think the one exception to this is Catwoman. I can dig her a little.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier