Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Just finished the first episode, funny as hell.

Good to know that helmet is usefull for something,

As someone who didn't care for either Suicide Squad film, I wasn't expecting much from this show, but so far it's fabulous.....I love the intro, I love the cast/characters, and most surprising of all, John Cena is solid in a lead role.

I'm only 3 episodes in and I think Peacemaker might beat out Gotham as my favorite DC television series (Which isn't saying much, as the only other DC television series I liked was what consisted of season 1 of Stargirl).

Ultimate Member

Really enjoyed this series. A lot more than I expected but then again I wasn't surprised when I saw it was directed by Gunn.

Peacemaker's dad being a neo-nazi is a take on the comic version where his dad was an actual nazi.

It actually explains why Peacemaker is the way he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Really enjoyed this series. A lot more than I expected but then again I wasn't surprised when I saw it was directed by Gunn.

Peacemaker's dad being a neo-nazi is a take on the comic version where his dad was an actual nazi.

It actually explains why Peacemaker is the way he is.
    I want to know what his dad had him doing that made it come off like he only targets minorities. Peacemaker doesn't think he's intentionally prejudiced and doesn't want to be racist, but part of it seems to come from his dad and his own ignorance.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I want to know what his dad had him doing that made it come off like he only targets minorities. Peacemaker doesn't think he's intentionally prejudiced and doesn't want to be racist, but part of it seems to come from his dad and his own ignorance.
    Yeah, because he said he killed "a lot of white people" too. Seems he's killed a fair number of minorities.

Since his dad is apparently behind his tech, it's possible that in his early days he disproportionately targeted minority criminals or something like that.

Killing a lot of white people doesn't mean he can't be racist, even if it's an unconscious bias. It's played as a joke but, as with most of Gunn's jokes, there's an element of truth. In this case, it's no different than when people claim cops aren't biased because they kill more white people than other races, which again, is part of the joke/point.

It also seems like there's a legacy behind Peacemaker, since his dad was the White Dragon and it seems like he did similar stuff to what he had his son doing (although not to the point where they would've arrested him until they ended up framing him?). What I'm curious about is if Chris was the second choice to be Peacemaker after his older brother and that's part of why his dad resents him so much. He wasn't supposed to be Peacemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I appreciate the show being even-handed in the fanservice, what with Peacemaker running around and doing an entire fight sequence in his iconic tighty-whities against a feral Butterfly girl in her underwear that he had previously been...peacemaking. Also, Harcourt in her undies.
    It was cool to see Judomaster and to see him wrecking people...even if it seems like he's possessed by an alien butterfly and evil. I wouldn't have recognized him without his trademark red and yellow colors though.
    Well, Peacemaker was on-point in the sense that the mission names are fairly direct, except instead of a Mothra Project Butterfly refers to actual, alien, butterflies possessing people. These may well be original villains for this series, but I'm reminded of Hellgrammite and the Reach.
    In order:
    -- Yeah, it's becoming odd how Marvel has the obligatory shirtless beefcake in almost every movie objectifying the guy, but never has anything in the other direction. Just don't do it at all then, imo.
    -- I was a bit surprised they didn't give Judo Master a more comics accurate outfit. I don't think he's a butterfly though - I think he's just like that, but I guess well see. The guard was unfortunate, but at least they weren't willing to just outright kill the kids unless they knew for sure they'd been turned. I'm not sure how I feel about them walking back John's willingness to kill anyone to achieve peace. Now they've passed on the "remorseless killer" slot to Vigilante, but for someone like Gunn I feel like it could have a more interesting to stick to that and still challenge the audience to like him.
    -- It'll be interesting if this show is setting up Blue Beetle. At first I thought they were bringing in Queen Bee.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    In order:
    -- Yeah, it's becoming odd how Marvel has the obligatory shirtless beefcake in almost every movie objectifying the guy, but never has anything in the other direction. Just don't do it at all then, imo.
    Well, there's always the Black Widow butt shots...
    I'm not sure how I feel about them walking back John's willingness to kill anyone to achieve peace. Now they've passed on the "remorseless killer" slot to Vigilante, but for someone like Gunn I feel like it could have a more interesting to stick to that and still challenge the audience to like him.
    It seemed kind of sudden to me, but I think it's because what Flag said to him had sunk in and he wasn't ready to be that kind of guy anymore.

Incredible Member

Ok I just finished watching the first 3 episodes. At this point everyone just needs to cut James Gunn a blank check to do whatever the hell he wants. Suicide Squad 2 was phenomenal (people who disagree, have terrible, TERRIBLE taste and are virtually impossible to make happy in life and live in misery) and so is this show.

Just finished the first three episode. Great seeing John Cena vs Rey Mysterio.

Seriously though, this is outstanding so far. I like that Flagg's death has really impacted Peacemaker; I look forward to seeing if that sticks, or if by the end of this he's back to being his normal 'kill anyone for peace' self.

And that opening never gets old.

Maybe continuity in DC movies isn't completely dead....

Incredible Member

Watched the first 3 eps. Thought it was pretty good. Will keep watching, though probably as a binge at season's end.

I want to see him in a "Man of Steel" sequel.