Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    Default How do you fix Wally West?

    Given that his biggest detractor in Dan Didio is gone but with Heroes in Crisis still fresh in most fans' minds, how would you go about fixing Wally West? Would you somehow retcon HiC or would you move forward with that story now prevalent in his life?

  2. #2
    Incredible Member Midnighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Given that his biggest detractor in Dan Didio is gone but with Heroes in Crisis still fresh in most fans' minds, how would you go about fixing Wally West? Would you somehow retcon HiC or would you move forward with that story now prevalent in his life?
    This has kind of already been resolved and fixed over the past few days. Now he just needs to appear regularly somewhere with a good creative team.

  3. #3
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    I wouldn't. Just keep building up Barry. The divisive fanbase in comics is just a headache. Streamline, and push the main guys. It's not going to matter anyway, the direct market floppy business is a dead end. Those YA and Kids OGN lines and Wal Mart and bookstore stuff is the future. Don't let the new generation even know of adult Flash Wally. Let the divided fanbase end with us.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Most problems already've been solved TBH. Recent Flash issues and Death Metal fix most parts. Wally all he needs is just regularly appear and not get another HIC
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

  5. #5
    Incredible Member Laufeyson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    503

    Default

    The retcon will just mess things up. Better keep moving forward while acknowledging a bad and good past of the characters. I mean even if for example HiC happens again and again, as long as the explanation is correct then it's good. The problem with HiC is the explanation is half-shit so it feels empty, but the idea itself is awesome a thousand. The higher up and creative teams just need a good explanation for what they did it and the higher ups need to stick with whatever change they made.
    Akui, Kyōfu, Fun'nu, Zōo, Zetsubō, Tōsō, Satsui, Hametsu, Zetsumetsu, Metsubō

    PERFECT CONCLUSION: LEARNING END

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Let the divided fanbase end with us.
    If that's the goal, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Jay, Barry, and Wally?

    Just create a completely new Flash and build things up from the ground floor without any of the fans prior attachments getting in the way? It would seem to be way easier to phase all three out rather than flame the outrage again by only keeping one if the goal is to unite the fanbase at any time in the foreseeable future.

  7. #7
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    If that's the goal, wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Jay, Barry, and Wally?

    Just create a completely new Flash and build things up from the ground floor without any of the fans prior attachments getting in the way? It would seem to be way easier to phase all three out rather than flame the outrage again by only keeping one if the goal is to unite the fanbase at any time in the foreseeable future.
    I'd be fine with it, but logically it's bad because then you have no built in fanbase left and have to build up a new mythos from scratch. Easier to prune the branches than cut down the tree.

    But who knows. We're entering a strange new world.

  8. #8

    Default

    For the next reboot, I'd scrap the Kid Flash/Flash II aspect and give him a new ID/powerset. He'd be more akin to Vibe and Killer frost from the CW show. You could start him out as a supporting character before giving him a spinoff. Or just set him up in Keystone as a rookie hero and go from there.

    This would feel like a downgrade but I'm refusing to play the toxic identity game/the whose the one true flash BS.

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    For the next reboot, I'd scrap the Kid Flash/Flash II aspect and give him a new ID/powerset. He'd be more akin to Vibe and Killer frost from the CW show. You could start him out as a supporting character before giving him a spinoff. Or just set him up in Keystone as a rookie hero and go from there.

    This would feel like a downgrade but I'm refusing to play the toxic identity game/the whose the one true flash BS.
    Good lord no. That just isn't Wally at that point.

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd be fine with it, but logically it's bad because then you have no built in fanbase left and have to build up a new mythos from scratch.
    But the built in fanbase is the one divided and that's seen as problematic. If you get rid of one for the other, that's just going to continue to have it divided for a long time. I mean, Barry fans were still apparently sending DC mail and such demanding he be brought back twenty years after his death and Wally fans weren't exactly quiet post-reboot.

    The Flash is still a brand name and the current mythos could be used as a template of sorts. And if the comic landscape is changing like you think, then it would seem easier to make the change to a new lead because you'll be trying to reach a newer readership.

  11. #11
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Flash family continuity is gonna need some serious rejigling. Half of them are from a previous reality, four or five have two sets of memories, etc. so, when that time comes, you take that sad excuse of deconstruction, burn it with fire, bury the ashes in concrete, throw the concrete into toxic waste, purify that waste, do an exorcism ritual with the remains and throw whatever is left of it into space.

    And then NEVER talk about it again.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd be fine with it, but logically it's bad because then you have no built in fanbase left and have to build up a new mythos from scratch. Easier to prune the branches than cut down the tree.

    But who knows. We're entering a strange new world.
    They did exactly what you're saying with the New 52. You're just retreading worn, bad ground.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Dataweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    This has kind of already been resolved and fixed over the past few days. Now he just needs to appear regularly somewhere with a good creative team.
    This. Speed Metal did all the fixing that was needed: an acknowledgement of Wally's former greatness, and a removal of the obstacles to a return to greatness. If we can finally get the Speed Force title that Wally was slated to get just before Flashpoint happened, so much the better.

    I bowed out of DC Comics when Heroes in Crisis came out, because of the treatment Wally was receiving. As of Speed Metal, I'm back. Not sure how much longer the DCU will last at this point; and depending on what the new bosses end up doing with it, I may end up bowing out again. But as things stand now, I'm satisfied with where Wally is.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    I mean, Barry fans were still apparently sending DC mail and such demanding he be brought back twenty years after his death and Wally fans weren't exactly quiet post-reboot.
    I don't remember this at all. I remember Barry and Wally fans were the same exact people. Barry got the Saint Barry treatment. Everything was fine. And on the GL side of things, there was always the plan of reintegrating the Corps and Hal back post-Spectre. It's just that well...Didio.

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    I don't remember this at all. I remember Barry and Wally fans were the same exact people. Barry got the Saint Barry treatment. Everything was fine. And on the GL side of things, there was always the plan of reintegrating the Corps and Hal back post-Spectre. It's just that well...Didio.
    Waid stated that he frequently got malicious fan letters during his time on The Flash from people demanding Barry return. There was no internet to spread the hate around back then.

    They just weren't as toxic and rabid as the only standout upset fans of that era in the HEAT fans. But the internet was kind of catching its stride when HEAT came in so that's how they stuck around so strongly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •