Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default They’re not us! Another resurrection thread

Yes I am aware this has been talked to death! I don’t care because we need to talk about the video game soma and how it does resurrection better than X-men! Ok you are you a physical being and you died. Every moment and neuron in your brain has been saved and copied into a new perfect body so the new you has perfect continuation of existence like he never died and to outsiders he is back from the dead. The question remains what happened to the first you? The answer is you died and you never came back. Your dead and will remain dead. Only others benefit from the new you existing. The real you is still dead. I am not talking souls or magic this is the literal description of of how the five bring back the dead. And it’s straight from 2015 soma which pointed out this a horrible thing that would drive you insane if you thought about for even a moment. This has still not been dealt with and I know it will never be dealt with but it’s VERY ANNOYING!

Now we got a whole book about resurrection and it’s a comedy so I am more frustrated. This really needs to be addressed

Yeah, this is one of the chief reasons I’m not sold on this status quo. And the recent Storm one-shot made me laugh, as Hickman tried to find a rationale for Storm not calling it quits beside the obvious — she would actually die.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yeah, this is one of the chief reasons I’m not sold on this status quo. And the recent Storm one-shot made me laugh, as Hickman tried to find a rationale for Storm not calling it quits beside the obvious — she would actually die.
    THANK YOU!! I thought I was going insane!

It's not annoying, it's been explained by the writer that the ressurected are the real deal. They're not copies or new version, they're the og one with less memories. It is what is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    It's not annoying, it's been explained by the writer that the ressurected are the real deal. They're not copies or new version, they're the og one with less memories. It is what is.
    That’s impossible because the one died and the new one is different. Unless you use magic or souls it’s not the same. Even with perfect copied memories and bodies it’s literally not the same they made 8 bodies for Kate before she came back it’s not the same human that’s just logic

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    That’s impossible because the one died and the new one is different. Unless you use magic or souls it’s not the same. Even with perfect copied memories and bodies it’s literally not the same they made 8 bodies for Kate before she came back it’s not the same human that’s just logic
    They aren't human and logic doesn't mean squat when you're living on a massive sentient plant island and can walk through walls.

The ressurected are as real as it gets. You're just gonna have to accept it and get on. Hickman isn't bound by the rules of some other irrelevant non X-Books idea of what a clone nor a soul is. He established what the five and Charles do and that's that.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Astonishing Member

Yes I am aware this has been talked to death! I don’t care because we need to talk about the video game soma and how it does resurrection better than X-men! Ok you are you a physical being and you died. Every moment and neuron in your brain has been saved and copied into a new perfect body so the new you has perfect continuation of existence like he never died and to outsiders he is back from the dead. The question remains what happened to the first you? The answer is you died and you never came back. Your dead and will remain dead. Only others benefit from the new you existing. The real you is still dead. I am not talking souls or magic this is the literal description of of how the five bring back the dead. And it’s straight from 2015 soma which pointed out this a horrible thing that would drive you insane if you thought about for even a moment. This has still not been dealt with and I know it will never be dealt with but it’s VERY ANNOYING!

Now we got a whole book about resurrection and it’s a comedy so I am more frustrated. This really needs to be addressed
    Nice thought exercise. Thankfully we have the book to tell us if they are in fact their original selves sans a few memories. But still these philosophical questions are definitely a driving force that many writers can choose to pick up on and write stories about in the years to come

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Nice thought exercise. Thankfully we have the book to tell us if they are in fact their original selves sans a few memories. But still these philosophical questions are definitely a driving force that many writers can choose to pick up on and write stories about in the years to come
    I would like to point out “because I said so” is an incredibly weak answer But if that’s the only answer we are getting then fine. It’s a bad answer. But fine

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I think Percy is working around this on X-force with Wolverine asking Domino if she feels the same or if she feels different and Colossus has obvious trauma both for the way he died and being brought back again with all his memories of how he died he decided to work full time as a farmer and leave the X-men.

On the X-men Empire tie in by Hickman Explodey boy was supposed to already being brought back from death as well with some others ppl who died on Genosha and that´s probably why Wanda´s spell backfired and now Saturnyne is talking about the "Witchbreed who fancy themselves as inmortals" so it seems it´s going to be a long running theme in the books

I agree it´s annoying Hickman doesn´t seem interested in giving a staight answer but at least Percy is doing some wondering and Leah in her own way on X-factor.

I personally would like an arc exploring that because souls are definitely a thing in the marvel unvierse and being back to life is something that has happened so often with different characters that marvel needs to get it´s canon staight about this situation.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I would like to point out “because I said so” is an incredibly weak answer But if that’s the only answer we are getting then fine. It’s a bad answer. But fine
    It's the writer's answer so

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    It's the writer's answer so
    It’s still not a good answer. Your fine with it because you like the plot device but by that logic he could just make iceman straight again “because he said so” or make storm white or turn Emma into a man. If there is no internal logic to the story then nothing matters

How every people want to spin it, They have their "souls". The reason Madelyne pryor isn't brought back is because she is clone, Jean Grey is the one with "soul". When ever anyone is resurrected on Krakoa their "soul" is reunited with their body.

I don't even see how this that important considering how much the X-men and people in comics has died and been brought back to life. You are literally arguing for point that can be realistic proven because nobody in real life has been brought back to life. So we are talking about the realm of fiction and how the author sets the rule is how the fiction goes. I was watching endgame with my wife the other day and Nebula killed herself and my wife asked me how she isn't dead and I started to explain the rules of time travel and then I just gave up because time travel is stupid. Anyways the point it is stupid to get to work up about the rules of fiction (and I can't positively prove there is a branch timeline to my wife.)

Yeah get mad that they have changed the rules of the fiction, I get that part. But if Jean Grey and Psylocke don't bother you why does the entire group of characters running on the same basic thing bother you? Nightcrawler got hand through his chest, Nightcrawler is alive now, Nightcrawler is clearly not in his original body, By y'all silly rules Nightcrawler is not the same Nightcrawler. We got reality warpers, different Deities , Multiple Satan/devils, Magic, Aliens, Robots, Cosmic beings but believing that a person is the same person is hard thing to believe. You believe more stupid things in comics for example

1. Hulk pants can stay on going up in nearly 20 to 30 more sizes
    2. You believe that Wolverine claws make sense
    3. Believe Batman hasn't manage to kill a henchman and don't care that he is critically maiming people
    4. You believe that man with bow and arrow would be running around with bow and arrow with billionaire who can make suits of amazing armor for him.
    5. You believe the government that bans fertilizer and cough syrup would let superhumans running around and enforce the law
    6. You believe that government that does let a 15 year old kid drive, would let 15 year old kids fight crime. Ps there is no Cop or Military that is 16 and below.

Comic has tons of logical fails if you are trying to look hard enough.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-24-2020 at 02:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How every people want to spin it, They have their "souls". The reason Madelyne pryor isn't brought back is because she is clone, Jean Grey is the one with "soul". When ever anyone is resurrected on Krakoa their "soul" is reunited with their body.

I don't even see how this that important considering how much the X-men and people in comics has died and been brought back to life. You are literally arguing for point that can be realistic proven because nobody in real life has been brought back to life. So we are talking about the realm of fiction and how the author sets the rule is how the fiction goes. I was watching endgame with my wife the other day and Nebula killed herself and my wife asked me how she isn't dead and I started to explain the rules of time travel and then I just gave up because time travel is stupid. Anyways the point it is stupid to get to work up about the rules of fiction (and I can't positively prove there is a branch timeline to my wife.)

Yeah get mad that they have changed the rules of the fiction, I get that part. But if Jean Grey and Psylocke don't bother you why does the entire group of characters running on the same basic thing bother you? Nightcrawler got hand through his chest, Nightcrawler is alive now, Nightcrawler is clearly not in his original body, By y'all silly rules Nightcrawler is not the same Nightcrawler. We got reality warpers, different Deities , Multiple Satan/devils, Magic, Aliens, Robots, Cosmic beings but believing that a person is the same person is hard thing to believe. You believe more stupid things in comics for example

1. Hulk pants can stay on going up in nearly 20 to 30 more sizes
    2. You believe that Wolverine claws make sense
    3. Believe Batman hasn't manage to kill a henchman and don't care that he is critically maiming people
    4. You believe that man with bow and arrow would be running around with bow and arrow with billionaire who can make suits of amazing armor for him.
    5. You believe the government that bans fertilizer and cough syrup would let superhumans running around and enforce the law
    6. You believe that government that does let a 15 year old kid drive, would let 15 year old kids fight crime. Ps there is no Cop or Military that is 16 and below.

Comic has tons of logical fails if you are trying to look hard enough.
    Your whataboutism has been read and noted

Are you having a meltdown over Krakoa or something

I gave you the answer, There souls are put back in their bodies like every other marvel story. Hickman changed up some mechanics but one thing that makes people accept Death/Resurrection thing is still around.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-24-2020 at 02:53 AM.