Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    In real life the mind is actually the soul so there is that. The human soul is a social -religious concept and is not an actual thing in evidence/ science. Our consciousness or what we describe it as is what is in our mind -the info stored in our brains.

    I have an identical twin and we have similar but not the same lived experiences but if we somehow copied my mind /memories into him and tossed out his memories then he’d become me ��
    Well I disagree my soul was divided with my twin and the soul can divided into infinite number off new souls that’s how reincarnation works in my religion but that’s not what’s happening in the book

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    In real life the mind is actually the soul so there is that. The human soul is a social -religious concept and is not an actual thing in evidence/ science. Our consciousness or what we describe it as is what is in our mind -the info stored in our brains.

    I have an identical twin and we have similar but not the same lived experiences but if we somehow copied my mind /memories into him and tossed out his memories then he’d become me ��
    I don’t stand for anyone’s beliefs being imposed on others — religious or otherwise, so I don’t think the question of souls is as settled as that.

    Regardless, souls exists in the MU, which presents a problem.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  3. #33
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    It's only a question of time until they resurrect someone who'll later turn out to still be alive, if it hasn't happened already. I wouldn't be surprised if someone of the Orchis strike team is in fact still alive and held captive. Why bother with the whole transhuman angle of resurrection via mind-backup if you're not planning to bring up that specific issue? I mean, Sinister is right there as an example of someone who has transcended singular existence, as each of his clones is both their own individual in addition to being another incarnation of Sinister.
    Jean Grey is the only one we didnt see die and be confirmed as dead. Just saying....

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Whether people buy the explanation of how mutants are brought back via The 5 or not, the lack of questioning of it in the story itself is a huge hole. There is no way a large number of mutants would not have doubts about this. Personally I think needing the memories makes it questionable. While I am not going to go through every comic book resurrection ever, I can't recall that ever being a requirement. People just come back, and if their soul comes back (and Marvel seems to be based on an afterlife) they would have their memories as they seemingly usually do unless there is some sort of trauma or something particular to the means of resurrection.

    But, again, to me the main thing is how every mutant has just not had any issue with this, to the point of some of them just killing themselves or others as if it does not matter.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,501

    Default

    When Maddie was revealed as a clone, wasn’t it stated that she had a piece of Jean’s soul? Am I misremembering that?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  6. #36
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    When Maddie was revealed as a clone, wasn’t it stated that she had a piece of Jean’s soul? Am I misremembering that?
    Yes, it was the portion of Jean that the PF had taken which ended up giving Maddie life. Its why she was drawn to and loved Scott; because that part of Jean did

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes, it was the portion of Jean that the PF had taken which ended up giving Maddie life. Its why she was drawn to and loved Scott; because that part of Jean did
    Thanks. Furthermore, wasn’t it also stated that Sinister only succeeded because he had a piece of Jean’s soul in Maddie?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  8. #38
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    20,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Thanks. Furthermore, wasn’t it also stated that Sinister only succeeded because he had a piece of Jean’s soul in Maddie?
    Yes. Maddie was an inanimate body in a test tube until the PF gave her life


  9. #39
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes. Maddie was an inanimate body in a test tube until the PF gave her life

    Thanks again.

    Obviously, I’m not saying that this proves that the Five are simply creating soulless duplicates, but I don’t think the situation is as black and white as some would like to believe. And Hickman saying something in an interview during his run isn’t good enough for me — he has to play some things close to the chest.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

  10. #40
    Krakoa is for lovers Blackphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I think that resurrection hasn't been fully explained and it will be further explored somewhere down the line.

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member Hizashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    4,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackphoenix View Post
    I think that resurrection hasn't been fully explained and it will be further explored somewhere down the line.
    Of course, but for me at least, the foundation that has been laid down regarding resurrection does not have me optimistic of the ultimate explanation.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •