Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default How is krakoa actually getting money for the drugs?

    Ok so we have a few facts about krakoa from the books and the writers. They export things like the drugs. They have no currency. They have no banks. They have no courts other than the council. They have no imports. All their holdings are in companies in other countries. Mutants canít be litigated in court so they canít be held accountable to contracts. And krakoa doesnít allow none citizens in to do business. So that means all there money is held by other countries that donít like them. Krakoan canít sue non Krakoan businesses over contracts cause a Krakoan canít make a contract and be held to it. And the price for the drugs is set solely by demand because importing countries control price. In addition countries have the authority to seize assets from businesses for not following laws and the Krakoan businesses have to be trying to follow normal laws or they would just be seized as illegal entities.


    So with all that! How does krakoa have any money? How can Xavier own property if he is immune to non Krakoan laws? Who actually owns anything?

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    Ok so we have a few facts about krakoa from the books and the writers. They export things like the drugs. They have no currency. They have no banks. They have no courts other than the council. They have no imports. All their holdings are in companies in other countries. Mutants can’t be litigated in court so they can’t be held accountable to contracts. And krakoa doesn’t allow none citizens in to do business. So that means all there money is held by other countries that don’t like them. Krakoan can’t sue non Krakoan businesses over contracts cause a Krakoan can’t make a contract and be held to it. And the price for the drugs is set solely by demand because importing countries control price. In addition countries have the authority to seize assets from businesses for not following laws and the Krakoan businesses have to be trying to follow normal laws or they would just be seized as illegal entities.


    So with all that! How does krakoa have any money? How can Xavier own property if he is immune to non Krakoan laws? Who actually owns anything?
    I mean isn't that partly what the Hell Fire Company is for. Then again thats probably what Xcorps gonna be about

  3. #3
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I mean isn't that partly what the Hell Fire Company is for. Then again thats probably what Xcorps gonna be about
    No I get that but literally how are they getting the money? If hellfire is based outside of krakoa itís assets can just be seized, they are smuggling drugs after all plus how do they get paid. Krakoa has no money or bank they have no way to hold or invest the assists but company is gonna do business with partners that canít be held legally accountable? It just falls apart. The drugs should be free. This is such a plot hold ugh

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    No I get that but literally how are they getting the money? If hellfire is based outside of krakoa it’s assets can just be seized, they are smuggling drugs after all plus how do they get paid. Krakoa has no money or bank they have no way to hold or invest the assists but company is gonna do business with partners that can’t be held legally accountable? It just falls apart. The drugs should be free. This is such a plot hold ugh
    I'm kinda confused how your confused tbh. How can they be seized? Who is gonna seize them with the literal high society powerhouses existing on Krakao? They don't need Banks or companies because the drugs are literally their bread and butter but even if they weren't they don't just lose all land and property and stocks once becoming a Krakoan citizen. And yes the partners will because that's exactly what they've been doing

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I'm kinda confused how your confused tbh. How can they be seized? Who is gonna seize them with the literal high society powerhouses existing on Krakao? They don't need Banks or companies because the drugs are literally their bread and butter but even if they weren't they don't just lose all land and property and stocks once becoming a Krakoan citizen. And yes the partners will because that's exactly what they've been doing
    Ok one more time krakoa sells drugs for money. And that money goes where? A big vault next to saber tooth? They don’t have currency on krakoa! They holding the money in bitcoins? Krakoa doesn’t have an economy. All the businesses they “own” they don’t own anymore because they changed the laws about mutants being immune to human laws. Like owning property. So technically krakoa is broke. They could be making billions of dollars trading the flower drugs but they have no actual way to spend the money. Your argument is businesses will do what the mutants say out of fear. Fear of what? They don’t have any money! Look I get it. The answer is “because the writer said so” it’s just frustrating because this is a story about building a nation and the parts about nation building are just hand waved. But fine Emma just mind controls all the banks. I answered my own question omg

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Good question. A country doesn't necessarily need to have a federal bank (see those individual countries in the EU who use the Euro) to exist as an economy. I suspect they are working their way towards having a separate currency and federal bank, but haven't got there yet.

    Companies don't need to be registered in any country, therefore the Hellfire Trading Company can be a Company registered in England if England is a friendly nation. What that means is that it would earn money in England, pay taxes in England and exist as an English company. Assets, such as buildings can still be held throughout the world, not a problem.

    We have no idea what the corporate structure of any of the companies owned by mutants are, but I would assume there are many of them registered all over the world, they've just not been brought together. For example Xavier is independently wealthy, so are the Frosts. They have shares and stocks in companies worldwide I assume, they are also likely to be trading in various foreign currencies. There's nothing stopping them doing so on behalf of Krakoa, perhaps with a company, registered in the States with the members of the Quiet Council as the shareholders for now, until they sort how the economy is going to work.

    So, they will perhaps be paid in dollars, or any other currency, I don't think it matters, online transactions for large sums should be quite simple. Banking cash would be good, seeing Wolverine standing in a queue at a local bank.

    Obviously not a definitive answer to your excellent question, but just how I think of it.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post

    So with all that! How does krakoa have any money? How can Xavier own property if he is immune to non Krakoan laws? Who actually owns anything?
    Xavier owns companies.

    You added in some phantom rule that Krakoa can't use their outside resources that rule doesn't exist. Most of the restrictions on Krakoa is from your imagination.

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Good question. A country doesn't necessarily need to have a federal bank (see those individual countries in the EU who use the Euro) to exist as an economy. I suspect they are working their way towards having a separate currency and federal bank, but haven't got there yet.

    Companies don't need to be registered in any country, therefore the Hellfire Trading Company can be a Company registered in England if England is a friendly nation. What that means is that it would earn money in England, pay taxes in England and exist as an English company. Assets, such as buildings can still be held throughout the world, not a problem.

    We have no idea what the corporate structure of any of the companies owned by mutants are, but I would assume there are many of them registered all over the world, they've just not been brought together. For example Xavier is independently wealthy, so are the Frosts. They have shares and stocks in companies worldwide I assume, they are also likely to be trading in various foreign currencies. There's nothing stopping them doing so on behalf of Krakoa, perhaps with a company, registered in the States with the members of the Quiet Council as the shareholders for now, until they sort how the economy is going to work.

    So, they will perhaps be paid in dollars, or any other currency, I don't think it matters, online transactions for large sums should be quite simple. Banking cash would be good, seeing Wolverine standing in a queue at a local bank.

    Obviously not a definitive answer to your excellent question, but just how I think of it.
    A problem is there are mixed messages in the books and from the writers. Vita on Xfactor says they have no money and don’t plan on making currency. Then you have Hickman saying they have enough money to intimidate China despite pharmaceuticals being an incredibly small part of the total world GDP(1.is fuel, 2.food commodities, 25. Medical supplies based on 2018 wsj article) also as people said. They cornered the market so they have no new customers and only 3 medications. Demand will drop as supply goes up and the economy fails. Krakoa is basically a “banana republic” there success as a society depends on the market a power no mutant can control. So with no new products and no long term goals to make more things other than medical supplies. They are still doomed. Look I get that most of this fan base just cares about who makes out with who and which character is on the book cover but I read this stuff to think about it. The deeper logic and implications. That’s the fun part for me

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Just another point on currency. For centuries Scotland was a separate country from England. They existed side by side with their own currency (one legacy is there are still separate Scottish banknotes), the pound Scottish was pegged to Sterling so that it fluctuated with the pound sterling. There are still some countries around the world pegged to other currencies (the UK pound and US dollar quite often) that exist as separate nation states.

    I don't really want these comics to become bogged down in things like this, but it may be getting towards time when there is some kind of explanation for little bits of it. Perhaps some information on friendly trading nations and possibly trade agreements.

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    260

    Default

    I also see your point on markets, but look at the history of Emma Frost, she can (not perhaps control the market, but) control traders. There's nothing to stop Krakoa (or those controlling the country) investing enormous sums in other countries.

    I keep using the UK as an example, I know, but that's where I'm from. From the early 80s onwards most of the UK infrastructure was sold off (telecommunications, heat and light, railways, water supply etc) they are now owned and operated by shareholders. Lots of the shareholders are other countrys' governments.

    Obviously I'm making huge assumptions here, but one of my assumptions is that their financial and economic dealings are likely to be being dealt with by those who were extremely successful in business previously.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    You're confused. Krakoa does not have money for internal use, but all mutants have access to state money for external affairs (As can be seen when Callisto brings money to the Morlocks in America).

    They don't ONLY sell drugs, Xavier is the richest man in the world, you can see all the multinational companies he controls.

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Xavier owns companies.

    You added in some phantom rule that Krakoa can't use their outside resources that rule doesn't exist. Most of the restrictions on Krakoa is from your imagination.
    Emma walked into a court and said “your laws don’t apply to us” that goes both ways

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    You're confused. Krakoa does not have money for internal use, but all mutants have access to state money for external affairs (As can be seen when Callisto brings money to the Morlocks in America).

    They don't ONLY sell drugs, Xavier is the richest man in the world, you can see all the multinational companies he controls.
    But he shouldn’t be! It doesn’t make sense! You can’t be a society immune from prosecution and still trade in the global market. It doesn’t work that way!

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Glio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    But he shouldn’t be! It doesn’t make sense! You can’t be a society immune from prosecution and still trade in the global market. It doesn’t work that way!
    Xavier can take a walk down Wall Street and find out what all the brokers in town know and don't know.

    Try to stop him from getting rich. On the other hand: Krakoa's natural persons are immune, not their legal entities or legal persons. You cannot prosecute Warren but you can prosecute X-Corp.

  15. #15
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Xavier can take a walk down Wall Street and find out what all the brokers in town know and don't know.

    Try to stop him from getting rich. On the other hand: Krakoa's natural persons are immune, not their legal entities or legal persons. You cannot prosecute Warren but you can prosecute X-Corp.
    Fine whatever he controls the banks with his mind. If that’s the answer that makes you happy let’s go with it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •