Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To put it in a non-political context, I still dislike it for leaning into the basic-ass “Superman is the light, Batman is the darkness” Loebian take, when that feels way too simplistic for me. Like you said Batman himself is a very hopeful and idealistic character at his core. And Supes just grandstands in a really generic way without actually saying anything of substance. It’s literally “well you gotta hope harder!”.
    I think it's a legitimate way of contrast their perspectives. Bruce is an idealist deep down but he tries to hide it with a gruff and cynical exterior, especially when he's with Clark, while Clark is more open and upfront about it, and deep down he knows what Bruce is like too so in a way it's like he's daring Bruce to be honest with himself.

I mean, sometimes I think it's fine to be short and to the point in a story without devoting a lot of dialogue or page-time to go as in-depth about it as fans do.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I’ll probably pick this up down the line, given that I’m still fond of the run as a whole even if I don’t hold to the same esteem as others.

They’re referring to your favorite page of course
    God, this is so dumb...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's a legitimate way of contrast their perspectives. Bruce is an idealist deep down but he tries to hide it with a gruff and cynical exterior, especially when he's with Clark, while Clark is more open and upfront about it, and deep down he knows what Bruce is like too so in a way it's like he's daring Bruce to be honest with himself.

I mean, sometimes I think it's fine to be short and to the point in a story without devoting a lot of dialogue or page-time to go as in-depth about it as fans do.
    Sure, but despite being the soul of wit, brevity also flops very hard when it misses its mark. It's like a mic drop where the mic bounces back into your hand and then splits everyone's ears with a loud feedback whine, so now instead of the boss you look like a chump.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sure, but despite being the soul of wit, brevity also flops very hard when it misses its mark. It's like a mic drop where the mic bounces back into your hand and then splits everyone's ears with a loud feedback whine, so now instead of the boss you look like a chump.
    But it missing the mark probably depends on the person, doesn't it?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But it missing the mark probably depends on the person, doesn't it?
    Certainly, but I do think there's something to be said of Superman constantly trying to shine brighter and be the better man but we never really get into his philosophy much and this is another missed opportunity.

It's a preamble with no real follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Certainly, but I do think there's something to be said of Superman constantly trying to shine brighter and be the better man but we never really get into his philosophy much and this is another missed opportunity.

It's a preamble with no real follow up.
    I think that sums up a lot of philosophy in comics...

Yeah it honestly didnt seem all that different from all the other sappy platitudes that Clark's fond of. If that exchange was supposed to be politically charged, it went right over my head. And if it's somehow any more or less meaningful than any of the other many times that a comic has stopped to wax poetic about the inherent good and evil of society then...well that was also lost on me lol

I dunno. Of all the issues I've heard people have had with this run, that page is probably the first time that I just...don't get it.
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-25-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah it honestly didnt seem all that different from all the other sappy platitudes that Clark's fond of. If that exchange was supposed to be politically charged, it went right over my head. And if it's somehow any more or less meaningful than any of the other many times that a comic has stopped to wax poetic about the inherent good and evil of society then...well that was also lost on me lol

I dunno. Of all the issues I've heard people have had with this run, that page is probably the first time that I just...don't get it.
    I think him being fond of those is the issue people have. Or more over reliance on them.

It just reinforces the belief that he's old fashioned and no longer relevant.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah it honestly didnt seem all that different from all the other sappy platitudes that Clark's fond of.
    It isn't. But, the idea that Superman is supposed to be just this guy that lectures others is damn revolting.It just sucks that superman is this figure at all. Makes me wonder why tomasi's jon is different enough. I mean, supersons is no sercet origins i can tell you that much. Kid does pull of the silverage stuff from superman. Unlike johns who doesn't actually try to make it palpable for modern audiences, by channelling the essence of the stories and always goes for donnerisms instead in a bad way. Jon is fairly well treated by tomasi. Heck! The entire supersons as a concept itself is silverage. I believe, jon is the only character in the run that had anything to them to stand out atleast.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-25-2020 at 05:21 PM.

personally i leaned more towards the Jurgens side of things during rebirth. But Tomasi and Gleason had a lot of great ideas too. Agreed on the filler problems though.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think him being fond of those is the issue people have. Or more over reliance on them.

It just reinforces the belief that he's old fashioned and no longer relevant.
    Yep. Some think that’s exactly what he should be, probably why Rebirth was as successful as it initially was. It leaned hard into the pop culture perception of Superman as a simple character, a good ol’ boy fighting for conservative America values. It’s just that some of us think that’s a bad take that doesn’t accurately represent him.

Not that that was all there was! Feel like I need to reiterate that I’m still fond of the run as a whole and I don’t dislike it to the same extent some others do. There were lots of genuinely great stuff there. Really it’s only after Black Dawn that the run no longer ranks highly for me.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-25-2020 at 06:02 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I personally have no problems with superman being a Conservative superman, liberal superman, anarchist superman,... Etc. My problem is he doesn't say anything that has any value at all in any sense. He talks alot about "hope harder and shine brighter". Even injustice superman had the living gun allegory. This guy is just pa kent. That's it?

Mighty Member

Yep. Some think that’s exactly what he should be, probably why Rebirth was as successful as it initially was. It leaned hard into the pop culture perception of Superman as a simple character, a good ol’ boy fighting for conservative America values. It’s just that some of us think that’s a bad take that doesn’t accurately represent him.

Not that that was all there was! Feel like I need to reiterate that I’m still fond of the run as a whole and I don’t dislike it to the same extent some others do. There were lots of genuinely great stuff there. Really it’s only after Black Dawn that the run no longer ranks highly for me.
    To be fair, after Black Dawn, a lot of the run is filler. The pure Tomasi stuff is really only a few stories, one of them being the Super Sons crossover, which is more a Super Sons arc than a Superman one.

But overall, I think calling Tomasi's Superman conservative is a pretty huge mischaracterization and oversimplification. We tend to think about the red state/blue state divide really simplistically. Kansas, for example, may always tilt heavily red, but there are tons of liberals who live there. Likewise, even New York City has plenty of conservatives. There are conservatives in cities and liberals in rural areas. Wrapping Superman in patriotic trappings doesn't immediately make him conservative either. Patriotism, after all, is not a conservative concept, just one that often gets coopted and twisted and used to disguise nationalism. You can be a patriot and super left-wing. As for the Batman from the city versus Superman from the country idea, I'd point out that city guy Batman is just as often (if not more often) coopted to be some sort of fascist power fantasy.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I liked this run of Superman, I thought it was DC's (admittedly overwrought) attempt to give the character/book a soft reset after they so poorly mishandled the great setup that Morrison left them. I just reread Morrison's Action Comics and am glad that both that run and this one will be getting the omnibus treatment so I can get both and give the standard collected editions to my nephew.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I'll pick this one up for sure. I loved the Rebirth Era. Sups, his supporting cast, and his world were the best they have been in decades during Rebirth (far better than during the thankfully ending soon "Bendis" Era), IMO. This is an easy buy from where I stand, great news indeed.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-27-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."