Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Hixmen Endgame and the MCU

So I'm enjoying Hixmen very much, but can't help guessing at the inevitable and disappointing endgame: that Moira will die at the end of this epic adventure and Marvel's merry mutants will revert back to their old status quo as part of Moira's 11th life.

I don't want this outcome, but it makes too much sense. Hickman will be guiding the X-line for a few years. Disney/Marvel has indicated it will be a few years before another X-men film is made. When an X-film does get made, the odds are great that Disney/Marvel will play it safe/stick to tradition and have the X-men be based out of Xavier's mansion which also serves as a school. The X-comics will be adjusted to dumb things down for the all-important new reader who's only seen the films/for synergy. As much as I'm loving all these changes (especially the free love), I see most of them being ignored or undone several years down the line.

What say you to this possibility?
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

BANNED

mhhh maybe a very loose inspiration, mostly around visuals since the krakoan brand and aesthetic is very striking

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So I'm enjoying Hixmen very much, but can't help guessing at the inevitable and disappointing endgame: that Moira will die at the end of this epic adventure and Marvel's merry mutants will revert back to their old status quo as part of Moira's 11th life.

I don't want this outcome, but it makes too much sense. Hickman will be guiding the X-line for a few years. Disney/Marvel has indicated it will be a few years before another X-men film is made. When an X-film does get made, the odds are great that Disney/Marvel will play it safe/stick to tradition and have the X-men be based out of Xavier's mansion which also serves as a school. The X-comics will be adjusted to dumb things down for the all-important new reader who's only seen the films/for synergy. As much as I'm loving all these changes (especially the free love), I see most of them being ignored or undone several years down the line.

If they want to make the Mutants feel unique in the MCU, I think that Hickman's route is the way to go....

but at the same time how explain the glory of a mutant nation without the stakes associated with being a mutant?
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member

Parts of Hickman's run will find their way into the MCU but most of it won't. That's kinda how the MCU operates with any writer's works. Krakoa as a mutant nation will probably replace Genosha, Magneto might be more of a cynical ally than straight villain, and maybe they'll have the black hole computer gods be their main Endgame-style villain.

They'll take the big, conceptual stuff (like the biopunk technology) and character status quos, adjusting what needs adjusting for the big screen. It think the MCU X-Men will be more in line with Claremont but take the aesthetic and overarching ideas of Hickman.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-24-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I say...

"Don't borrow trouble"
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I can’t imagine they’ll do the “Moira dies, Krakoa is undone” thing. That would cause more issues than it solves. I think it’s more likely that Moira dies at the end of “Act Two”, as it were, in circumstances that end up resembling the Infinite Avengers time travel arc of Hickman’s Avengers.

In all seriousness, who started reading X-Men just now under Hickman??

Anybody? A significant percentage? No?

Hickman's X-Men are an endpoint, not the beginning. If X-Men hadn't existed for decades already, none of it would work, none of the characters or their relationships would have the same impact.

Starting the MCU X-Men with the mutant nation of Krakoa already in operation would be foolish. Starting the MCU X-Men with the Krakoa mission, and circling back after fifteen or twenty years of films and series? Brilliant. We have to be patient and play the long game.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 09-24-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    In all seriousness, who started reading X-Men just now under Hickman??

Anybody? A significant percentage? No?

Hickman's X-Men are an endpoint, not the beginning. If X-Men hadn't existed for decades already, none of it would work, none of the characters or their relationships would have the same impact.

Starting the MCU X-Men with the mutant nation of Krakoa already in operation would be foolish. Starting the MCU X-Men with the Krakoa mission, and circling back after fifteen or twenty years of films and series? Brilliant. We gave to be patient and play the long game.
    I think you may be missing my point...I'm not so much concerned about the MCU adapting Hickman's X-men stories. I'm concerned about most everything in the X-men comics reverting back to normal after his run because of the MCU. Most people associate X-men with mutants in a mansion/school and if the MCU puts its mutant heroes in a school, then the comics will do the same to avoid confusing these mythical "new readers" that editorial is always catering to. Thus, bye-bye Krakoa Nation.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Extraordinary Member

I am 95% of the way to never reading another new Marvel comic unless they undo Hickman's run, so take this with a grain of salt.

The MCU does not care what Hickman does. It does not care what any comic does. Things get plucked from all over and then changed anyway. If the publishing still cares about following the trends of the MCU all it will do is make a title with the closest versions of those characters and that is it.

edit: I saw the OPs recent reply, so the bold still applies. Publishing changes to match MCU have usually been cosmetic. IF they want a school, they can make one. It is not like the mutants have to be stuck on Krakoa forever, and it does not mean Krakoa has to go away.

Astonishing Member

Do people honestly think that Hickman is going to turn his entire run into some sort of alternate reality? He didn't do that with Avengers why would he do that here?

I think you may be missing my point...I'm not so much concerned about the MCU adapting Hickman's X-men stories. I'm concerned about most everything in the X-men comics reverting back to normal after his run because of the MCU. Most people associate X-men with mutants in a mansion/school and if the MCU puts its mutant heroes in a school, then the comics will do the same to avoid confusing these mythical "new readers" that editorial is always catering to. Thus, bye-bye Krakoa Nation.
    Hickman has already said he intends to 'put the toys back in the box' when he's done. Killing Moira to reset everything is a likely outcome. He's got a couple of years of stories in him. That's all one can ask for in this business.

To quote the ancient Egyptians, "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow...[we die]." Nothing lasts forever. Even Hickman can barely manage these concepts; I would hate to see some other writers butcher them.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Do people honestly think that Hickman is going to turn his entire run into some sort of alternate reality? He didn't do that with Avengers why would he do that here?
    Well he just ended the other reality.

Then created a new one.

And for some reason people pretend it did not happen.

In the end i guess it depends. If mutants can become a collective big enough to overcome another than in theory they will be the same through all of time and space despite moira dying. So hickman has put an answer in his own work, if the mutant collective can overcome the machine collective and become a dominion then they will exist with krakoa in all realities forever.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am 95% of the way to never reading another new Marvel comic unless they undo Hickman's run, so take this with a grain of salt.

The MCU does not care what Hickman does. It does not care what any comic does. Things get plucked from all over and then changed anyway. If the publishing still cares about following the trends of the MCU all it will do is make a title with the closest versions of those characters and that is it.

edit: I saw the OPs recent reply, so the bold still applies. Publishing changes to match MCU have usually been cosmetic. IF they want a school, they can make one. It is not like the mutants have to be stuck on Krakoa forever, and it does not mean Krakoa has to go away.
    I'm curious about why you dislike Hickmann's run.

I can't see them straight undoing everything in this run with Moira's life, to be honest. It causes a ton of continuity problems beyond just X-books, since the rest of the line is referencing Krakoa regularly now.