Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Excalibur #14 review and spoilers

This issue was full of surprises.

The first fight:
    Betsy fought with Isca the unbeaten and she not only lost but also was killed and shattered to pieces. The fight was very short in a few panels.

Brian was horrified at her death.

The second fight:
    Cypher 'fought' Bei but it was actually a wedding instead of a fight. Cypher can't seem to understand anything that Bei said because of his powerset. Don't know why Saturnyne arranged this wedding when they were never in love before.

Jubilee's dragon was subdued by Saturnyne's magic and is now controlled by Saturnye.

Last edited by ericng; 11-11-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Honestly im not even gonna be mad. Im gonna wait to see how this plays out. But todays 3 issues all had 'WTF this is where theyre heading' vibes.

Betsy's "death" has been weird and I'm sure it was caused by Saturnyne and her sword. And I don't think it's a real death.

The wedding has been hilarious. Doug is going to end like the guys in Futurama in the Amazon planet.

Better than the last issue.

Extraordinary Member

Betsy getting killed right at the start seemed like a good way to show the stakes.

Then Doug gets married and its all 'what stakes?'

Why do I think Jamie somehow "killed" Betsy in order to spare her from actual death? Could he have done that and not get caught by Saturnyne? After all, it seemed like she wasn't even there watching the battle.

The wedding was... unexpected. I don't know how to describe how I felt reading these issues. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Psych1c View Post
    Why do I think Jamie somehow "killed" Betsy in order to spare her from actual death? Could he have done that and not get caught by Saturnyne? After all, it seemed like she wasn't even there watching the battle.

The wedding was... unexpected. I don't know how to describe how I felt reading these issues. lol
    Betsy's sword was made from the Starlight Citadel, which is made from a bit of all realities. I think that has caused Betsy to break up.

On the other hand: Jaime had bet a lot of money against Betsy so, maybe it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Betsy's sword was made from the Starlight Citadel, which is made from a bit of all realities. I think that has caused Betsy to break up.

On the other hand: Jaime had bet a lot of money against Betsy so, maybe it was him.

That's why I think it was him, he not only bet against her, he was like "ok, my sister died but I got rich, yay". He's crazy but that was a little off.

You may be right on the sword though.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    This issue was full of surprises.

The first fight:
    Betsy fought with Isca the unbeaten and she not only lost but also was killed and shattered to pieces. The fight was very short in a few panels.

Brian was horrified at her death.

The second fight:
    Cypher 'fought' Bei but actually it was a wedding instead of a fight. Cypher can't seem to understand anything that Bei said because of his powerset. Don't know why Saturnyne arranged this wedding when they were never in love before.

Jubilee's dragon was subdued by Saturnyne's magic and is now controlled by Saturnye.
    I get the 1 for Arakko, if Betsy lost it (it was predicted anyway). But which other fight was won by Arakko and which one by Krakoa?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Mighty Member

I’m going to wait and see, but this turn of events was not for me. I know there’s a twist and I’ll have to wait for it, but my excitement for this event just went south. Didn’t enjoy Wolverine either. I liked Marauders though

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Betsy's "death" has been weird and I'm sure it was caused by Saturnyne and her sword. And I don't think it's a real death.

The wedding has been hilarious. Doug is going to end like the guys in Futurama in the Amazon planet.

Better than the last issue.
    Was about to say, early on Brian says "don't go to pieces" and Saturnyne replies "No. Not I.", which is a clear reference to what she's planned for the duel. Betsy leads the fight with her psionic shield, and it's actually the very first time she uses the Starlight Sword that she and it shatter into glass (which Saturnyne very carefully gets her attendants to sweep up and bring to her). I wonder if each shard will be turned into a full Captain Britain to make a new corps, or if she just wanted Betsy out of the way without completely alienating Brian.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 11-11-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I get the 1 for Arakko, if Betsy lost it (it was predicted anyway). But which other fight was won by Arakko and which one by Krakoa?
    Each get a point for the wedding

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

One each for Cypher - Krakoa, Bei - Arakko because they both got married and made Saturnyne happy so the wedding was a win-win situation.

I felt like this was supposed to be more of a serious event. But Saturnyne has turned it into shenanigans. There were a lot of things that happened in these 3 issues that were like 'really? thats it.Thats how they are ending that story beat?!' Also I'm starting to think they should explain how she became so powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Was about to say, early on Brian says "don't go to pieces" and Saturnyne replies "No. Not I.", which is a clear reference to what she's planned for the duel. Betsy leads the fight with her psionic shield, and it's actually the very first time she uses the Starlight Sword that she and it shatter into glass (which Saturnyne very carefully gets her attendants to sweep up and bring to her). I wonder if each shard will be turned into a full Captain Britain to make a new corps, or if she just wanted Betsy out of the way without completely alienating Brian.
    I hadn't noticed the "pieces" thing, you're absolutely right.

Saturnyne remains extremely spiteful.

Pieces of Captain Britain.... Well played Saturnyne