Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

There’s no reason Krakoa can’t “end.” It could be destroyed by an outside force, the nation could simply fail or it could turn on the mutants forcing them to leave. How or if we get to the end is up to Hickman and the rest. As far as the movies are concerned I don’t see the MCU starting with the whole immortal quiet council angle but maybe the mansion resides on Krakoa instead of Westchester. I have faith in the MCU. They made Iron Man an A lister and took the Guardians of the Galaxy and made them popular as well. I think we’ll get some good stuff from the X-Men corner of the MCU.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    So I'm enjoying Hixmen very much, but can't help guessing at the inevitable and disappointing endgame: that Moira will die at the end of this epic adventure and Marvel's merry mutants will revert back to their old status quo as part of Moira's 11th life.
    I think the return to the status quo was baked into the plot. I don't think Hickman/Marvel had ever intended to permanently change the status quo, but to use Krakoa to further elaborate on why previous attempts at doing a mutant state didn't work.

Not only are they going to undo literally everything about this run, the smart money is that they will reboot all of the X-men side of Marvel a la DC. Mutants will start over as a 'new' idea in the Marvel universe to coincide with them suddenly showing up in the MCU in similar fashion. We'll probably see some radical changes like the Uncanny group being a part of the original X-men instead of the all-white O5. I expect some radical changes to Xavier to make him less of a ludicrously privileged white savior type.

There might be some kind of swerve with Moira, but as long as her reset life is hanging over everything then there's little reason to get attached. They'll have a hard time going back from this setup without it, and I don't think they can go back to being a regular part of the world after throwing their lot in with Apocalypse and Sinister, to say nothing of casually committing genocide of entire nations.

I don't understand why some here think they can just start with Krakoa in the movies. That would make them functionally identical to the Black Panther movie, of even (shudder) the Inhumans show. It would be a group the rest of the world has never heard of before hiding because of discrimination that no one has ever seen or mentioned. It would honestly be even worse storytelling than the previous Fox movies went with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    There’s no reason Krakoa can’t “end.” It could be destroyed by an outside force, the nation could simply fail or it could turn on the mutants forcing them to leave. How or if we get to the end is up to Hickman and the rest. As far as the movies are concerned I don’t see the MCU starting with the whole immortal quiet council angle but maybe the mansion resides on Krakoa instead of Westchester. I have faith in the MCU. They made Iron Man an A lister and took the Guardians of the Galaxy and made them popular as well. I think we’ll get some good stuff from the X-Men corner of the MCU.
    That's entirely possible. They could get to a point and Krakoa could just say "well, there's enough of you here now that I could just eat you all and take over the universe, so CHOMP" and boom, end of paradise. Sinister could accidently create a chimera that just disintegrates all mutants around it like that kid mutant in the Ultimate universe. The medicine could stop working and everyone else in the world could just stop putting up with Krakoa. Or a third Summers child from the future shows up and says they have to abandon what they're doing or else Super Galacta-Thanos will obliterate all of time or something.

The MCU completely changed the GotG, made them more relevant and popular than ever. There is a ton they could do with the X-men, especially now that they've cut that odious toad Pearlmutter out of the decision making process.

So I'm enjoying Hixmen very much, but can't help guessing at the inevitable and disappointing endgame: that Moira will die at the end of this epic adventure and Marvel's merry mutants will revert back to their old status quo as part of Moira's 11th life.

I don't want this outcome, but it makes too much sense. Hickman will be guiding the X-line for a few years. Disney/Marvel has indicated it will be a few years before another X-men film is made. When an X-film does get made, the odds are great that Disney/Marvel will play it safe/stick to tradition and have the X-men be based out of Xavier's mansion which also serves as a school. The X-comics will be adjusted to dumb things down for the all-important new reader who's only seen the films/for synergy. As much as I'm loving all these changes (especially the free love), I see most of them being ignored or undone several years down the line.
    Sounds about right.

What say you to this possibility?
    I cant wait.

i, as a very smart business enby, will reverse all of the circumstances that made my company's product more money

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You're back!!!
    XoS, DD and SD...this week is phenomenal!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Hickman has already said he intends to 'put the toys back in the box' when he's done.
    I think you're being overly literal in your interpretation of that phrase.

For context, it's the exact phrase Bendis used when referring to the end of his Avengers run (Hickman and Bendis are friends).

It's also exactly what he did to end his FF run. He brought the Human Torch back to life, he brought Doom back from his alternate reality, etc etc.

Putting the toys back in the box doesn't mean tossing his run out of continuity. It just means that he's not going to leave anything broken and unusable. It means that when he leaves, you're not going to have many characters dead. Compared to the KYost eras where they killed characters right and left.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

For context, it's the exact phrase Bendis used when referring to the end of his Avengers run (Hickman and Bendis are friends).

It's also exactly what he did to end his FF run. He brought the Human Torch back to life, he brought Doom back from his alternate reality, etc etc.

Putting the toys back in the box doesn't mean tossing his run out of continuity. It just means that he's not going to leave anything broken and unusable. It means that when he leaves, you're not going to have many characters dead. Compared to the KYost eras where they killed characters right and left.
    Exactatiously
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

New Avengers ended as it began, except the Wakandan children didn't get slaughtered. FF ended as it began. Hickman loves symmetry. The fact that he introduced this whole Moira reincarnation aspect in his intro arc makes me think it's also his ending. It's possible that he won't, but it would be very reasonable to think he would.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am 95% of the way to never reading another new Marvel comic unless they undo Hickman's run, so take this with a grain of salt.

The MCU does not care what Hickman does. It does not care what any comic does. Things get plucked from all over and then changed anyway. If the publishing still cares about following the trends of the MCU all it will do is make a title with the closest versions of those characters and that is it.

edit: I saw the OPs recent reply, so the bold still applies. Publishing changes to match MCU have usually been cosmetic. IF they want a school, they can make one. It is not like the mutants have to be stuck on Krakoa forever, and it does not mean Krakoa has to go away.
    I’m not where you’re at yet, but I would welcome some retcons to the current run. I’m curious what has YOU this close to dropping off?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Some people don't seem to understand the X-men has evolved passed its initial premise, Krakoa status quo might go away but the X-men can't go back. I mean comics is stupid and 95% of the time they go back to original status quo whether it is good or bad idea. But X-men trying to go back to its roots is stupid. X-men is like 200 plus characters(not including villains) and X-men now at its best needs wide space for most of these characters to exist. Utopia and Krakoa are set ups where the X-men can excel trying to go back will put large chunk of characters in permanent limbo. Some sort of reset or refresh is inventible that is just the nature of comics nothing to do with status quo itself. People are in for a rude awakening if they go all the way back, It is going to be bad because X-men has clear evolved into something else that going backwards won't fix.

Which brings me to why do people think it is going to be mass undone, The books are selling good, It is getting good acclaim, Many of the set ups are great for future storytelling. Hickman wrote an out if the fans hated what he did and clearly they don't, just because you wrote an out doesn't mean you have to use it. I don't think they hit the reset button, we know that immortality is going to go away at some point, we know that bad guys in krakoa are going to bad guy. This run can easily end and simply shift in other direction.

The status quo is working so well that they don't(or shouldn't) want all the toys to go back in the box, Thinking that they are going to blow stuff up and reset is people projecting imo.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-24-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    I'm curious about why you dislike Hickmann's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I’m not where you’re at yet, but I would welcome some retcons to the current run. I’m curious what has YOU this close to dropping off?
    While my list of criticism of Hickman's run is quite large, if I had to narrow it down to what has almost broken me it is the resurrections and whatever is going on with Jean/Scott/Logan/(Emma). With the former I can almost put it out of my mind by ignoring the exact details Hickman uses otherwise my critical side is too bothered with the idea of caring about clones with implanted memories. The latter is probably the biggest reason, even though it seems like the smallest. The Jean/Scott relationship is too crucial to what the X-Men are to me, what stories have lasted with me all these years.

Otherwise I could suffer with whatever else he wants to do and just whine about it like I have been doing since Decimation.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Hickman has already said he intends to 'put the toys back in the box' when he's done. Killing Moira to reset everything is a likely outcome. He's got a couple of years of stories in him. That's all one can ask for in this business.

To quote the ancient Egyptians, "Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow...[we die]." Nothing lasts forever. Even Hickman can barely manage these concepts; I would hate to see some other writers butcher them.
    True. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. After a decade of "meh" storytelling, I hope Hickman stretches this out for quite a few years.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well he just ended the other reality.

Then created a new one.

And for some reason people pretend it did not happen.
    This.

I loved his work on Avengers/New Avengers and its culmination with Secret Wars, but it was kind of lame that reality was obliterated and put back pretty much the exact same way it was before. I mean, I get that the nature of these comics is that nothing can ever really change, but come on.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci